Are there any other 60 somethings getting fit

Options
gramanana
gramanana Posts: 762 Member
Hi. I'm Gramanana and I'm wondering if there is anyone else like me on the site. I'm in my mid-sixties, trying to lose weight, get fit, and adjust to eating wheat-free because of a food allergy. I'm doing pretty good, but wondered if there was anyone else dealing with these or similar issues.

Replies

• m23gm25
    m23gm25 Posts: 157
    Options
    Hello. I was just searching for others in my age group and found your post. I'm 61 and also trying to get healthy. I'm a grndma too. maybe we could be friends. I just started a week ago and have lost 12 lbs. but need to lose 60 more.
  • gramanana
    Options
    Wow, 12 lbs in a week is wonderful! I've been on MFP since April and only lost 10 and I've got another 10 to go. I also have an allergy to wheat which adds another layer to the mix of foods I can't eat.

Do you exercise a lot? I go in spurts with the treadmill and stretching. I can't seem to keep up the energy or enthusiasm for more than a month at a time. I know it helps reshape my body, if nothing else, because I see the difference.

I'd love to be friends!
  • greatwood1
    greatwood1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am a 71 year old grandmother, and would love to be friends. I have been on MFP since April, and have lost 18 pounds. I am reducing carbs, mainly white sugar white wheat, white starch foods, and my main form of exercise is walking. I don't make it every day, but my goal is to walk 2 plus miles at least 4 times a week. I take the stairs instead of the elevator when possible, don't park in the closest parking spaces, and generally focus on moving more. I am a writer, and one of my blogs is a food blog, so yes, I am a foodie. I garden, particularly herbs, and love to cook. I enjoy reading, music and making memories with my granddaughters.
  • gramanana
    Options
    I think it's great that we're all finding each other on MFP. I joined in April, too (actually mid-March), but didn't really get started until April. I have always tended to lose weight very slowly, but I rarely have more than 20 lbs to lose. Because I'm only 5'2" tall, I try not to let it get out of control. I have 4 grandchildren and don't get enough time with any of them -- 3 are out of state. I don't walk nearly enough because of my asthma, but I do try to do a mile on my treadmill 4-5 days a week. I try to stretch for 15 min. or so every day. I must admit that my asthma and allergies have held me back the last couple of weeks. I'd love to be friends!
  • hunter624
    hunter624 Posts: 252
    Options
    65, and enjoying the journey, good luck to you all, with yours.

:drinker:
  • greatwood1
    Options
    You sound like you have the determination to stay on course! I am short, too. I am 5'4" and small boned so extra pounds really plump me up! I know that for me exercise is the key, but it is hard to get it in, especially right now in the South Texas heat. I don't have a treadmill, so it is walk outside or go to the mall and walk there, which I dislike intensely. Most mornings, I head out betwwen 7 and 8 and it isn't too bad then. I have some breathing problems too, not as bad as yours. I have been seeing a pulmonologist for about 2 years and am on a combination of inhalers, nasal spray, and Singulair that has worked well for me. But when the ozone levels are high (like yesterday) here I notice some wheezing and try to stay indoors. Two of my grandchildren live near me, but I still don't see them as often as I would like. The other two live in Texas, but about 5 hours away. I noticed you posted about playing guitar, classical - so you must love music, too.
  • californiagirl1950
    californiagirl1950 Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Hi to all of you. We do have a group, 60 and over. come join us! Lots of wonderful pals on there to encourage each other and we do weekly challenges. We are in the community.
  • stangma
    stangma Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Yeah - I'm a 60 something grandma too. 3 kids - 7 grands. I'm trying to stay healthy for the long haul. Eat well, move more, drink your water! I love Curves - it is helping me learn to enjoy exercise.
  • smartgirls
    smartgirls Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 62 and just starting the weight loss drive looking to lose 20 pounds and get fit. I love to cook, find new recipes and experiment, so its easy to get too many calories. I'm hoping this will moderate some of my choices. I do 3 hours of commuting on Mondays and Tuesdays to my job, and work from home the rest of the week. When I'm home I walk for an hour or hour and a half, and swim on warm days. I think I'll succeed with this, as I can choose where to spend calories, and the info is so complete! I'm from Fonthill Ontario, where are you all from?
  • BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    If you click on "groups"
    and type in "50s" or "60s" or "senior" or "mature" or similar words,
    TONS of multiple groups pop up.

not all are real active,
    but, the ones below, seem to have more activity than others:

(i did not join all of the list of groups that popped up, too many! but, of the groups i DID join, the ones below seem to be most active)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/337-woman-of-a-certain-age
    OR

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/523-near-or-post-menopausal-group

OR
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/301-50-something-and-fabulous-

OR go to groups, and type something in 'search' to find groups you might better relate to on MFP!!
    AND WELCOME!! I am new, too.
  • lhs1965
    lhs1965 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I am in the over 60 group and startied dieting 2 weeks ago. I am in a program at our local hospital which includes a dietician and a trainer. The program is eight weeks long and I am hoping it inspires me to keep going as I need to lose 60 lbs so I can be at my drivers license weight that I have lieing about for years.
    A hint for those of you in a hot/humid area you may want to get a walking dvd. I use it in the winter when the temps are below 0 and found it to work:smile:
  • BlueJean4114
    Options
    Here are several more groups to look over:
    (your best bet, is looking at how long ago the last post was...if it was a month ago, that is probably NOT a real active group anymore)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3257-seniors-losing-weight

OR
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3538-60-years-old-and-over

OR
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/2962-60-years-old-and-older

OR
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/13-50-fabulous-and-fit

It's an endless list, really, if you use the group "search" feature, you will see, you are NOT ALONE here!!:bigsmile:

There are also 'special' groups for ppl with arthritis, heart attack survivors, diabetics, ppl with over 50 lbs to lose, ppl with over 100 lbs to lose, "local" state or city groups one can join, etc etc.
  • BlueJean4114
    Options
    If you are new here,
    to refind your 'groups',
    click on the tab that says "Community"
    and your groups will all pop up, so you can see if anyone has made any new posts.

The "community" tab, is also where you can refind your own posts, by clicking on "My Topics" to see discussions you had replied to before.

GOOD LUCK!!:drinker:
  • drakesgram
    Options
    Hi, I'm Drake's Gram and at 62, I'm trying to lose some weight , especially around the middle. Someone just told me about MFP today, so I'm giving it a try. Was on my way to WEIGHT WATCHERS, when I changed my mind and decided to try this first. Wish me luck :) I understand that " slow and steady wins the race !!! "
  • sandrahulleman
    Options
    Hi there! I am turning 50 in a couple of months. I have celiac disease (gluten allergy) and I'm working on getting healthier. My dietitian recommended MFP and I'm finding it very useful when tracking my carbs and exercise. Feel free to friend me.:smile:
  • greatwood1
    Options
    South Texas Gulf Coast here - Houston area.
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    Options
    Wow, I missed this tread last evening when I was on a mini search for a group for 60+ pals. Seems like there were others doing the same :happy: . I joined in on a group called:
    "60 years old and over" which seems to have as its focus exercising regularly. Which is a good thing :smile: .

I'm going to try that group out while exploring to find out where (else?) might be a good fit for me as I am fairly new to MFP. I am turning 62 shortly and it would be good to find not only friendly support and encouragement but those who would challenge me to do better when I give into those carb cravings :noway: .

BlueJean4114, Thanks for the links that you posted, that is a great start to start exploring . Your instructions are really good in how to do various things. I have seen it but I hadn't paid much attention to clicking on "My Topics" to see discussions that I have replied to before.
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm only 60 and won't be adding "something" until January. :wink: Anyway, MyFitNess pal provides great guidance for shedding pounds and getting fit. I hope it works wonders for you, too! Good luck working around your health problems--they may improve as you improve. I'm no longer dealing with high cholesterol, high blood pressure, or acid reflux. Hooray! Best wishes as you meet your goals, and God bless you!
  • greatwood1
    Options
    Walking DVD? Which one, and where did you get it? I definitely am dealing with the hot and humid here south of Houston, TX
  • lhs1965
    lhs1965 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone makes one called Walk Away the Pounds which I got at Best Buy