Quinoa Shake Recipes?

Options
I heard that using Quinoa is really good for you and I'm sick of the Slim Fast Shakes! I can't handle the aftertaste. Does anyone have any ideas? Please help. Thank you

Replies

• Silver_Dream
    Silver_Dream Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    What is "Quinoa"?
  • JJ48Fan
    Options
    It is another source of protein. It is like a little rice that you can blend up into shakes but I have only found one recipe and it didn't look all that good :)
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is also an alternative grain that people with Celiac Disease (meaning can't have gluten) will eat as one of many substitutes for wheat.
  • sunnysmile
    sunnysmile Posts: 1,192
    Options
    Can you post the recipe you have for Quinoa? I am interested to see it.
  • JJ48Fan
    Options
    Quinoa is a high protein grain that derives from South America. It could be found conveniently in most supermarkets and health food stores. Take one cup of Quinoa seeds and rinse thoroughly in water. Using a colander strain the rinsed quinoa seeds and put it into your cooking pot. Add three cups of water to the pot and bring it to a slow boil for twenty minutes. The Quinoa should be cooked till the grain is firm and fluffy in texture. This step should be done the night before and then refrigerated for easy use. Try using one large spoonful of Quinoa for your homemade protein shake.

Step 2 Two eggsThe second source of protein that will be added to the shake is the egg white. Egg whites are low in cholesterol and a nutritious source of protein. The egg whites will provide a thick bonding texture to the protein shake. Try using two egg whites for your homemade protein shake.

Step 3 Homemade Protein Shake IngredientsTake one large spoonful of the cooled Quinoa and add it to the blender as the main ingredient in your healthy protein shake. Add two egg whites, a quarter of a cup of milk, one tablespoon of honey, half of a sliced apple and blend. Feel free to substitute the apple with the fruit of choice. Make sure to blend the ingredients completely till it becomes frothy and rich. Add some ice to your homemade protein shake for a chilled effect and enjoy.
  • sunnysmile
    Options
    you are the first person to post a recipe using raw eggs that I have noticed. I make my own milk shake in the mornings and I use raw eggs ... mostly egg whites, but sometimes whole egg.

I use a cup of milk, or half cup sometimes
    I use a piece of fruit ... often an apple, or pear, or banana (if I use banana I sometimes use peanut butter too)
    I use anywhere from 1 to 3 egg whites, or a whole egg perhaps
    I use cocoa powder or vanilla extract
    I use a carrot
    sometimes I add spinach (you don't taste it but it makes it green)
    I use cinamon
    I use splenda (I know many don't like this ingredient)
    I use ice

I have a vita mix and it blends it like an ice cream milk shake (which is wonderful on many levels)
  • JJ48Fan
    Options
    Ok, so I was extremely reluctant to try this shake but it was VERY VERY good! I substituted the apple with a banana and it was delicious! I have found other recipes on the internet if anyone is interested.
  • sunnysmile
    Options
    For the recipe, do you use about 1 large tablespoon of quinoa for the shake? I wonder how many calories in that and nutritional value of it ... I have to look that up, I know nothing about quinoa. Do you think you can premake the quninoa and freeze it in portions and it would be okay for the shake? Otherwise I'd have to leave a large amount in the refrigerator.

Today I made my breakfast shake with these ingredients in my vitamix, I loved it. (I don't know if you have a vitamix but it lets you use whole foods and it blends it all in ... very powerful, no need to worry about losing fiber, you even can eat the seeds of the fruit, etc.). It is a great tool but it is expensive.

1 large yellow apple (leave core and seeds, vitamix can handle those)
    1/2 cup skim lactaid milk
    1/2 cup filtered water
    1 egg white
    1 large carrot
    1 tbsp cocoa powder
    a little vanilla extract
    some cinamon
    splenda
    1 tbsp chunky peanut butter
    ice

This makes several glasses of a yummy milkshake. For me this is a satisfying substitute for ice cream.

I am interested in seeing what benefit adding the quinoa into some of my recipes will be like.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is delicious! If you live near a Whole Foods or Gelson's, they have quinoa already prepared in the deli section and it's really healthy. You can make it yourself and add diced peppers and feta cheese. I want some now!
  • sunnysmile
    Options
    do you eat quinoa cold or hot ... do you serve it as a main dish, or as a side dish (like rice, etc). Sorry to sound so naive, but I guess I am inexperienced in this grain. I read on wikipedia how nutritious it is, so I would love some recipes using it.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I have only ever had it cold, and I'd use it mostly as a side dish.

I've never made it, only bought it already prepared. But I do know that when you prepare it, you have to rinse it really well, otherwise it can feel crunchy, sandy almost.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I have posted my recipe for my morning egg cremes and I got told that I am going to get salmonella poisoning...........

you are the first person to post a recipe using raw eggs that I have noticed. I make my own milk shake in the mornings and I use raw eggs ... mostly egg whites, but sometimes whole egg.

I use a piece of fruit ... often an apple, or pear, or banana (if I use banana I sometimes use peanut butter too)
    I use a carrot
    I use cinamon
    I use ice

I have a vita mix and it blends it like an ice cream milk shake (which is wonderful on many levels)
  • sunnysmile
    Options
    I have posted my recipe for my morning egg cremes and I got told that I am going to get salmonella poisoning...........

I use a carrot
    I use cinamon
    I use ice

I must say that when I first started using raw egg, either whole egg or just egg whites, I was concerned because salmonella is a possibility if it uncooked, not trying to say it can't be. I will say though I've been doing this for years and have not had that happen to me yet. One thing is the egg supply is supposed to be safer now, and another, but don't quote me as I am not positive, but I think the samonella is carried in the egg yoke so the raw white may be safer.

I would be interested to see your morning egg creme recipe. Are you still making it, even though it has raw egg in it?
  • JJ48Fan
    Options
    I googled it and found a lot of good recipes. There are breakfast recipes, (instead of oatmeal) there are side dishes you can use it instead of rice, etc.
  • jschick85
    jschick85 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i found your post in my personal search for info on quinoa and thought id mention my challenge since you would probably find it beneficial to you.... my site is www.slimthatup.com only here to add some help if possible....
  • ShoshanahM
    ShoshanahM Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is a small grain from South America that you cook like rice. It actually kind of looks like a bunch of mini-Saturns when you cook it, because of the ring that forms around the grain. It's suitable for people on a gluten-free diet, but it has benefits for everyone. It's a high-fiber, whole grain, and it contains all four amino acids that our bodies do not produce on their own, which means it's the only grain that is a complete source of protein on its own, which is why vegetarians like it.

I've used quinoa flour in my gluten-free pancake and cookie mixes, but I can' imagine putting it (or the whole, cooked quinoa) into a shake. ..unless you like flour or crunchy, mini-grain balls in your shake. Perhaps if you blended it enough, it may be a similar texture as putting a lot of flax seeds into a shake..

Really though, I would just recommend cooking it, and eating it for a meal. It's cheapest if you can buy it in bulk at your local co-op or whole foods store. It cooks just like rice; about a 1 cup quinoa to 2 cups water ratio, for about 15-20 minutes, or until the water has been absorbed and it looks like you have a pot full of mini-saturns.

You sub broth for some or all of the water, if you want more flavor. Some of the easiest recipes involve tossing cooked quinoa with lime juice, black beans, corn and cilantro. You can also make it tabouli-style and use lemon, lots of flat leaf parsley, cucumber, red pepper, chickpeas and feta. I use quinoa as a substitute for couscous (since it's made of gluten-containing bulgur wheat), and one of my favorite recipes uses quinoa cooked in veggie broth with a cinnamon stick, a couple cardamon pods, and chopped, dried apricots, and once it's cooked, you add pistachios, lime juice and fresh mint leaves.

Anyways...Sorry for rambling...but the main point is, quinoa is super easy to cook, and very good for you!
  • laurelobrien
    laurelobrien Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    The trend of eating quinoa is actually destroying the economy and livelihood of the countries in which it is grown. Typical white people appropriate something and ruin it for everyone else, see:

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2110890,00.html
    and about a dozen other articles. quinoa used to be a poor man's food but now it is too expensive for even its farmers to afford. for this reason, I personally try to avoid quinoa as I have the privilege of other options, but I guess a lot of food we eat is socially irresponsible, and some people are celiacs.

speech over, there are a lot of good recipes where quinoa acts as either a rice-substitute or as a crumb for meats. it's pretty tasteless once you rinse it so it goes with basically everything.
  • ShoshanahM
    ShoshanahM Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've seen that article circulating around lately too. The same thing can be said for a large portion of fruits, vegetables, meats, and coffee products that come from South America, thanks to our international economic policies. I think the best thing we can do is to figure out how the system works as a whole, and advocate sensible measures for change, since every food we consume these days has some kind of social, political, environmental downside to it. (Common garlic, for example, grown in the U.S. is harvested by migrant workers making a mere fraction of the minimum wage.) Otherwise, if you solely want to focus on quinoa, you can find varieties grown inside the U.S.
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I would hesitate to routinely put apple seeds and cores into your VitaMix. Apple seeds contain cyanide. While it is unlikely the typical person will be poisoned from eating an apple, we are also not really capable of or likely to be masticating or pulverising the seed pips with our teeth so as to release more of the toxin. By putting it in your VitaMax, you are pulverising and releasing the cyanide toxin. Just a caution.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    So... i think quinoa is delicious and eat it multiples times a week with some grilled veggies and faux chicken... but i dont know HOW i would feel about it in a shake...

The thought of putting Quinoa in a shake is actually almost repulsive (but then again i don't know how people stand the gelatinous chia seeds either).

Does it have to be Quinoa? I would just add Greek Yogurt. I think it adds to a thicker creamier protein shake AND it has more grams of protein to calories. Just my thoughts!