Need thoughts on my loss

Options
So I just joined the site on Tuesday, but I started my weigh loss plan on Sunday. However, I was doing weigh ins with my friend on Friday. So here it is

Friday weighed in at 160
Sunday started weight loss plan
Tuesday joined.

I weighed myself this morning just out of curiosity and I was at 155. I haven't updated my page cuz I figured I'd stick to friday weigh ins. But isn't 5lbs kind of a lot for such a short period of time? I'm wondering if maybe my scale is off. It could be mostly water weight but I drink a lot of water (50-80 oz a day) so I figure I'd gain back water weight quickly.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• bakercj13
    bakercj13 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Stick to once or twice a week weigh-ins. Your weight can vary a lot depending on how much and types of foods you eat and drink.

That is great if you have already lost 5 and it is for real! But keep in mind if you things high in sodium you can go up for a couple of days as you retain water and then drop it all. As long as your wieght is going down on some level that's all that should matter.
  • Bexyf
    Bexyf Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    a lot of people lose a lot first week, then it gets slower as time goes on. Keep to once a week due to natural fluctuations as will give you a better idea.
    :)
  • Desterknee
    Desterknee Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I can't for the life of me imagine that I have high sodium intake. I hate salt and salty things. Even when I wasn't dieting I always bought low sodium versions of prepackaged foods just cuz I don't like the taste of salt, and premade things always tastes ridiculously salty to me.

And yeah I may glance at the scale a few times a week but I only take the friday weigh in seriously. I know weight can fluctuate 1-3 lbs daily based on multiple factors. I'm not a scale slave anyway. Where I want to see the difference is in my measurements and how I feel when I exert myself. If I stayed 160 for the rest of my life, but lost fat on my body and could walk up 5 flights of stairs without feeling like I was gonna die I'd be happy.

Just wondering about these 5 pounds. Seems high for a week.
  • Desterknee
    Options
    Bump!

Any more thoughts?
  • megannicolex33
    Options
    This happened to me too! I lost 5 lbs. in my first week. It was mostly water weight. I didn't lose any weight for about two weeks after that, then it started coming off steadily (between 1 & 2 lbs. per week). Of course now I'm stuck in a plateau, but yeah haha the initial 5-10 lb. weight loss is normal from what I've read :)
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I think 5 pounds the first week is not unusual for someone just starting. Most people will lose a lot (mostly water...even if your sodium intake doesn't change at all) at the beginning and then taper off into steadier rate. I personally have never been able to lose at a steady rate. When I was till losing, my weight would always drop by a few pounds at a time...but only every few weeks. It took some getting used to, to be sure!

Best of luck to you :)
  • Marvel2011
    Options
    Yes, 5 pounds is very good. :) Everyone tends to loose a good bit of weight when they first start, though it's very common for it to start falling off.

I'm no nutritionist or a personal trainer, but I did read something the other day that seemed very interesting:

Any exercise you're doing, if at a steady rate, will eventually become more and more ineffective because your body gets more and more able to handle the workout. "If you jog a mile today, you might burn 100 calories. Jog the same mile tomorrow, and you'll only burn 80 calories and so on."

The Livestrong website suggested interval training, which is bursts of medium to intense exercise interrupted by rest breaks.

I would strongly suggest that anyone who is having trouble losing weight after a certain time to check out this article. :) It taught me a few things.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/424794-does-it-make-you-fat/

Though most of this is just for future reference. :)
  • jmcross1980
    Options
    Drinking a lot of water will actually help with pushing water out of your system.

I know a lot of MMA fighters who need to cut water weight for whatever weight class they compete in, will actually take in a lot of water before they start their cut. They do this because it's their body's natural response to push the water out.

I'd assume the weight loss you've seen is mainly water weight.

Jared
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Have you significantly lowered your carb intake? That can influence water retention too. So can the time of the month for a female.
  • Desterknee
    Options
    Have you significantly lowered your carb intake? That can influence water retention too. So can the time of the month for a female.

DING DING DING

I think we have a winner. During my weigh in it was that time. Now it isn't.

Yep it's water weight. Thanks for all the feedback. I look forward to losing some fat soon!