My morning. Working out and cooling off... sorta - WTF

Options
Randyamc
Randyamc Posts: 365 Member
**Your welcome to skip this first part and go straight to the question ;oP**
Beeep... Beep... Beep... FML soo tired. People really enjoy this? Ugh. Chug water, throw on gear, pump the music and out the door I go. Semi cool morning, waking up finally and off and running. Listing to that lovely woman with the British accent giving me prompts on when to walk and run. (C25k) I like her and we could probably be friends if she didn’t patronize me so much. What's that legs? You’re tired? Ha! That kind lady said keep going so shut it! Oh, 5 min cool down time. Hurray, I did it! Drink shake, and stretch it out. Ok, still sweating no biggie, time for a shower. Now I'm ready to start my day... wait... still sweating? Eeeww... Ok, hop in the truck and crank the AC on the way to work. Still very hot! Crap... ok desk fan, get to work! 30 minutes into my work day, finally start to feel normal. Crap, need to drink more water and start this endless cycle of restroom breaks!! Getting in shape is fun!!!

**Question Time**
Does is take anyone else far to long to cool off after a good workout?

Replies

• Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    LMAO you are so freakin' funny Randy!

And yes! When I get back from my runs, my face doesn't turn back to a normal color for a good 45 minutes to an hour! I usually sit in front of a fan (on the floor because I don't want my sweat to get on any of the furniture) with my Chobani yogurt and water and watch the news for about a 1/2 hour. By then it's time to wake up the kids, get my breakfast and lunch ready, etc. THEN I jump in the shower and I can say that I just have a nice "glow" about me from running.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    When I run it takes a long time for me to cool down too. I usually have to rest for about 15 min or more. Have you tried making the water cooler in your shower? That usually helped me and made me feel a little bit refreshed. I'm not saying you should take ice cold showers (ick!), but if you like hot showers, then maybe turn the heat down a bit. Just a suggestion!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    It is ridiculously hot this morning (I see you're also in California - Fresno area here), and even though I did my workout in the house with the A/C on, ceiling fan on high and another fan pointed at me, the sweat was pouring off of me. Way more than usual. Don't know if you're getting the humidity up there like we are down here, but that could be part of why it took you longer to cool down.

Otherwise - great job on the c25k and getting it done despite this nasty heat!
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Yes, I get back home take an icy cold shower get dressed and i'm sweating buckets as I walk back out the door to go to work.
  • acedanger49
    Options
    Yes, I get back home take an icy cold shower get dressed and i'm sweating buckets as I walk back out the door to go to work.

Same thing for me. I do Crossfit whenever I can. I get up at 5, workout for an hour there, home by 7:10. Take a cold shower and I just stand under the water for a while. I get out, towel off and......bam, sweating again. I eventually cool off by around 8:30, as I'm walking through the door at work. I hate the feeling. Glad to know I'm not the only one though.
  • Randyamc
    Randyamc Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Omg thank you! So glad I'm not alone. lol I'm always amazed when I hear about people working out on their lunch break. I would feel umm... what's the word? Yes, icky.... I would feel icky the rest of the day. It's pretty warm here, no much humidity though. I lived in FL for 10 years so using that as my reference point, I never think it's humid, but that could be a factor. I have my celling fan and a smaller fan cranking while I do my stretches. I'll give the cooler showers a go. I wonder drinking colder water would help? If none of the above works, I shall do one of two things.... get up earlier to allow more cool down time or... build a walk in freezer. What? That a solid idea!!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Take a colder shower :) I get up at 4:00 to run and it's generally about 80 degrees when I finish my long runs, I am a really really cold person most of the time so I don't mind. But I find that if I take a cooler shower, almost cold, it helps a bunch.

WTG on the running!
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate! I usually work out indoors but even then I need to take a 10 minute water break at the end of my workout before I shower. If I'm in a rush and I don't relax for those 10 minutes, then I tend to sweat after my shower...it's gross! (I call it my George Costanza moment - if you're a Seinfeld fan...)
  • HeavyLiftGirl
    HeavyLiftGirl Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    HA!! This is awesome. Thanks for the laugh.

And to answer your question: I have been there, done that. It sometimes takes me a good hour to completely cool down. Somebody spray me with the hose! lol
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    When I need to squeeze in a workout during lunch or before class, I'll change shirts but wear my gym shorts back to work or to class, I feel like if I look like I came from the gym it's more acceptable to be sweaty than just being a sweaty monster just walking around.
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Damn, wish I had a C25K lady to instruct me :(

I just use a watch...
  • tappleton17
    tappleton17 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    AMEN! yes i agree maybe if it were cooler out it wouldnt take so long?
  • Jodibear58
    Jodibear58 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    There's a C25k audio??? Where can I get it?
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Yes! My face can still have the beetroot effect a couple of hours after a really good Tae Bo session!
  • littlelaurie14
    littlelaurie14 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Running is the only exercise I've done so far that takes me FOREVER to cool down and recover :grumble:
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options

Free downloads on iTunes :flowerforyou:
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    It takes me 10-15 minutes or so.

When I work out during my lunch break, I give myself 20 minutes after showering (in cold water) and changing to cool down. I blast the AC in my car, and splash water on my face and arms (the water plus the AC is great!) I also use dusting powder in my hair and any areas that are still sweating to help with the moisture. It seems to help!

Also, when I'm feeling REALLY hot, I'll take my work shirt off (wearing a tank top underneath of course!) and hang it on top of the AC vents in my car for a couple of minutes. Then when I put it on, it's like an icicle! Refreshing!
  • stefanieceleste0530
    stefanieceleste0530 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I pretty much start sweating the minute I start thinking about putting on my workout clothes. And I don't stop until at least an hour after I'm done. I've tried the cooler showers, but they haven't helped me. I tend to not workout before work unless I'm working a later start time (I make my own schedule), so it doesn't really impact me all that much, thankfully!

Am also glad I'm not the only "weird" one that has this issue!!! Way to go on the C25K - I'm also doing it - I just did W3D2 yesterday. I have to say, I honestly hate it. But there's something in me right now that's just not letting me quit.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options

Free downloads on iTunes :flowerforyou:
    And free apps - I used c25kFREE by Zen Labs - works great, no watch-checking, it plays a tone and a voice command telling to start walking, begin running, etc. You can play your own music with it too, and it lowers the music volume for the voice prompts so you don't miss a thing.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I am not a runner but I had a hard time cooling down when I first started working out. I would start sweating right away and then I would feel hot and kind of sick for a while afterwards. Now though it take 10 minutes at a really hard pace before I start sweating and I recover much faster.

Heat=calories burning.