Upping my fiber without adding too many carbs?

Options
stephanj
stephanj Posts: 898 Member
Hi All,

I have been following a 40% protein ratio for awhile, because I find it works really well with my body for fat loss and satiation. However I have noticed over time that even eating veggies and fruit several times a day, I am under 10 grams of fiber per day. I know I need more for my health, however I don't want to add a million carbs if I can help it! I would seriously need to add 5 cups of broccoli or 8 cups of spinach to get an extra 10 grams per day, it's not gonna happen! Can anyone help with some suggestions of high fiber foods, that don't add 20g of carbs per serving? P.S. I am staying away from flour as much as possible, so breads and wraps are not something I want to use.

Thanks!

Replies

• raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Try a fiber supplement like Benefiber.

One serving is 15 cal, 4 grams Carb, 3 grams fiber. Tasteless, non thickening, mix it in with coffee, tea, yogurt, whatever.
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I am following a higher protein, lower carb plan (not ultra low carb though) and I like:

Tumaro's Multigrain Low Carb Gourmet Tortillas (8")
    60 calories, 11 carbs, 7 fiber, 6 protein and 2 fat per tortilla

I use them for wraps, low carb personal pizza crusts, for tacos and burritoes and for quesadillas. They are a regular staple in my diet.

Oh yeah, I found them at Kroger.
  • mnishi
    mnishi Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Flax seed has 1 gram of fiber per 1 gram of carb. I use 2 tbsp flax seed meal in my morning smoothie everyday, it helps keep my fiber levels up. You can put it into a lot of things without really noticing.

I forgot - it also has lots of protein.
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Forgot Fiber One cereal. It has 14 grams of fiber per 1/2 cup serving and only 60 calories (so 15 carbs at most). It is good added to yogurt for crunch.
  • eslater1
    eslater1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I eat Fiber Choice sugar-free tablets. They are surprisingly not too bad. I also think that carbs from veggies are not bad. I would eat all the spinach in the world and not worry about it. I think carbs coming from natural plants don't really count, but that's just me.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    berries, citrus fruit, and of course more veggies. You should swap for higher fiber veggies. Avocados, broccoli, greens, carrots, artichokes top the list. Up your serving sizes. You definitely need to eat a least a cup of each of these, and 2 cups of the leafy ones.

Or you can eat lentils. They have loads of fiber.
  • cbferriss
    cbferriss Posts: 122
    Options
    I eat Fiber Choice sugar-free tablets. They are surprisingly not too bad. I also think that carbs from veggies are not bad. I would eat all the spinach in the world and not worry about it. I think carbs coming from natural plants don't really count, but that's just me.

I eat the store brand of these sugar-free tablets and they taste pretty good too. And I add ground flax seed to my protein shakes or yogurt.
  • kodakdigitalcamera
    Options
    metamucil