C25K Schedules

Options
Hi, I am thinking about starting C25K and was wondering what is the best resources some of you have found for a schedule for the program? Also, what do you use to time your intervals? Any additional insight or information would be helpful. Thanks!

Replies

• momtimecafe
    momtimecafe Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm using the C25K app for my droid. It's Active.com's app and I really like it! It's helpful cause I can listen through my earphones prompts to start walking, then jogging while still listening to my music...LOVE!
  • Crowesgirl
    Options
    I also just started using Active.com's app, it's great! Highly recommend it.
  • amytag
    amytag Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I use the C25K app for iphone, and there are also good podcasts on itunes. Coorunning.com has a written plan as well.
  • OhLibra
    OhLibra Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I'm using the C25K app for my droid. It's Active.com's app and I really like it! It's helpful cause I can listen through my earphones prompts to start walking, then jogging while still listening to my music...LOVE!

^ this! Love that app! I just started yesterday.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I have an app for my iPod called 5k Runner. I love it! Best 2.99!

It does the same as the above--turns down my music momentarily to tell me when to run or slow down and walk.
  • TrinaJ11
    TrinaJ11 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I think I have the c25k app for android via rundouble. It times your intervals for you and tells you when to walk/run/cool down so you won't have to do it yourself. I too use my headphones and listen to my music and the app cuts in for updates.

It's free for the first 2 weeks for the program (you can repeat the 2 weeks over and over if you want) but the pro version is only $1.60
  • lmroessler
    lmroessler Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I also use the iPhone app and you can listen to your music while it tells you when to run, walk, etc. You can also run the "Map my Run" app which while the C25K app is running. I only use the map one to see if I am improving my time / distance.

My only complaint about the iPhone app is that it takes you from running 10 minutes with a 5 minute break before another 10 minute run to running for 20 minutes straight in 4 workouts. That wasn't enough workouts for me to build up to 20 minutes so I'm taking a break from the app and doing shorter runs (10 min, then 12, 15, 18, etc.) before jumping back in to the app at 20 minute runs. I use my HRM to time it myself. It's a lot easier to time it yourself once you've gotten past the 60/90/120 second run / walks.
  • soontobesam
    soontobesam Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I used the podcasts from Robert Ullreys for my music and guidance on when to switch into a different interval and I used the Endomondo app to track time, spped, distance and estimated kcals. Both for free

I can't get on it from my work computer but I believe coolrunning.com has a schedule on their site that you can look at.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I downloaded the C25k Free by Zen Labs but had issues with it. There are a lot of good reviews but mine wasn't one of them.

Then I downloaded the C25k Lite by Guy Hoffman. It is simple with pretty much zero frills but it works and that's what matters to me.

The main thing to remember is that the schedule is a guideline. You can repeat days or weeks as many times as you feel like.

If you just want an interval timer that you can set yourself, I use an app called "A HIIT Interval Timer" by Pimpim Mobile.
  • notyouraveragetalia
    notyouraveragetalia Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I downloaded the C25k Free by Zen Labs but had issues with it. There are a lot of good reviews but mine wasn't one of them.

Then I downloaded the C25k Lite by Guy Hoffman. It is simple with pretty much zero frills but it works and that's what matters to me.

The main thing to remember is that the schedule is a guideline. You can repeat days or weeks as many times as you feel like.

If you just want an interval timer that you can set yourself, I use an app called "A HIIT Interval Timer" by Pimpim Mobile.

Can I ask what you didn't like about the Zen Labs app? I'm on Day 3 and am curious...
  • iLose2Gain
    iLose2Gain Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I use the C25K app for iphone, and there are also good podcasts on itunes. Coorunning.com has a written plan as well.

^^^^This. Just complete week 1 day 2!! Feel great!! :smile:
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Scroll down for the schedule and it's free!! You can also track your progress!
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Can I ask what you didn't like about the Zen Labs app? I'm on Day 3 and am curious...

I was one of the folks where the app would randomly lock up. I tried it twice and it would just randomly stop working and I'd have to force close it. Very frustrating when I'm halfway through the workout, in the middle of one of the run intervals, and I have to stop, restart it, and then skip forward to the approximate point of where it was when it stopped working.

I would have loved for it to work. Generally Zen Labs creates good stuff and I like that those who go pro are supporting breast cancer research (my mom is a survivor) but it just doesn't like my phone. :(
  • thefreebiemom
    thefreebiemom Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I use the coolrunning website for the interval schedule and I use my runkeeper app to create an exercise using those intervals. Runkeeper also maps your path, and breaks down your pace for each interval at the end. It plays whatever music is on my phone and just pauses the music for a second to tell me when to change intervals.

I also use mapmyrun to map my runs also at the same time, because I live in a place where there is actually elevation changes and I like knowing my elevation change.

I do wish that my runkeeper app would tell me the distance traveled for each interval though. All it tells me is the pace for each and the total distance and the total time.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I used c25kFREE by Zen Labs with no issues. Worked great for me on my iPhone. Now I'm using their 10k app (also free). And I usually run Runkeeper at the same for tracking pace, route, distance, etc.
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I downloaded a free HIIT timer app for my droid and I just set up each week on the app. It's really easy to use and I've used it for other exercises as my timer.
  • rjlkat
    rjlkat Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Wow... Apparently I am the only person here who doesn't have an interactive touch phone. I printed out the schedule, and once I know what I am supposed to do for that day, I just pop in the headphones of my MP3 player and use my digital stopwatch. I have a fair idea of where in my run to take a glance at the time, and it works pretty well for me.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I use the ' ease into 5k' iPhone app. I like it as it draws a map and gives you distance and average pace as well as deprecated average pace for the walking and running parts. Again you can play your own music with it.
  • gilgongo
    Options
    My 2 cents:
    I use a number of apps (on my iPhone 4S) to run, and it's worked out great! (I'm a beginner). I turn them on in this order, or C25k is too quiet to hear:
    1. Zombies, Run!
    2. Runkeeper
    3. C25K by Zen Labs (I've had no issues with it EXCEPT when I used to start it up first then the other stuff and I couldn't hear the instructions to "walk" or "run" very well. The key is to start it up last)

After the first bit of Zombie chatter, it goes to my playlist... but the playlist doesn't automatically shuffle, so I have to go into my playlist and manually shuffle it. Then it works for the rest of my run.

Anyway, this has worked out AMAZINGLY for me. I've always hated exercise and running, in particular. Now I run almost every day and I feel weird when I don't. It's been 2 weeks. This combo of apps makes it fun and interesting for me.

One other thing I do is listen to a great hypnosis CD every night. It's Steve G Jones "I Love To Exercise." That MIGHT have something to do with it? I think it helps.
  • deannakittygirl
    deannakittygirl Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Wow... Apparently I am the only person here who doesn't have an interactive touch phone. I printed out the schedule, and once I know what I am supposed to do for that day, I just pop in the headphones of my MP3 player and use my digital stopwatch. I have a fair idea of where in my run to take a glance at the time, and it works pretty well for me.

nope! I don't have interactive phone either. I have it bookmarked and check what I need to do before I go out. I use a stopwatch. simple enough.