HRM + FitBit

Options
What would be the advantages of using BOTH a HRM and a FitBit or would that be overkill? Does anyone do this?

Replies

• therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    HA! I'm pretty borg enough as it is.

When I go running, I have my iphone for music. My garmin for distance, pace and speed. And now my fitbit.

For me an HRM would definitely be overkill.
  • Melanie_Robinson
    Melanie_Robinson Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    During a workout my HRM shows a significant higher calorie burn than the FitBIt. I love the bit, but I think that for a workout the HRM is more accurate. The Fitbit is a great helper in showing me just how inactive I can be even though I am "busy"

Melanie
  • meljofield
    meljofield Posts: 79
    Options
    Bump.

I want to see what kind of response you get. I have a fitbit and have considered a HRM too.
  • spikesmom
    spikesmom Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I wear the fitbit throught the day, but only use my HRM when I am working out. I do feel that the HRM will give me a more accurate reading on my caloric expenditure.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I wear my Polar FT7 (HRM) during my workouts for an accurate calorie count and my FitBit (step tracker) at all times for the extra calories I burn through walking and chasing after my 5 yo.

From my understanding, my FitBit is a step counter. Not all workouts involve forward walking movement. I'll use a Spin class as an example. I've taken 3 spin classes in my entire life, not my thing, so from what I understand the FitBit wouldn't have been able to accurately count the calories during that workout since there is no forward movement involved.

Instead, I bought my Polar FT7 to wear during my workouts and just log it into MFP. If my FitBit does actually pick up my workout, the HRM data will override it so long as I accurately record my start and stop times. That way it isn't double counting any of my calorie burns.

I also love the sleep tracker function of my FitBit.

tl;dr I wear my FitBit 24/7 and my FT7 during my workouts. Record my workouts on MFP and any extra calories I earn via my FitBit are auto-recorded.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i have both. the fitbit isn't as accurate.
  • teinepalagi
    teinepalagi Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have both a HRM and a fitbit. I wear my fitbit 24/7 and I use it to count all of my running and walking (what it's designed for). If I do anything else: strength training, biking, etc....I use my HRM. I only have abouty 10 more to lose so I've set myself to .5/week and I want to be as accurate as possible to ensure I'm not overeating.

And I started out checking my fitbit with my HRM and they were within 20 calories of each other for walking and running...so I chose the easier option (the fitbit).

but, if you haven't bought both....I'd go with the fitbit.
  • klalaw
    klalaw Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I wear the HRM for workouts due to improved accuracy - I either take my fitbit off for that time or use the start/stop function to avoid duplication. After initially eating back the "extra" calories that fitbit gave me, I have switched to using it just for generally tracking my level of activity, and I no longer synch it with MFP.
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I wear my fitbit constantly (I'm in a walking program at work so track my steps) and wear an HRM for running and plyometrics for the calorie count. I don't wear it for my other workouts, I just calculate those from p90xcalories.com. After a run in particular, I like to compare the data but the HRM is much better for that purpose, especially the chronograph. There are just too many things the fitbit doesn't do, so I highly recommend a good HRM with a chest strap!