look at this sugar.......

Options
karenjoy
karenjoy Posts: 1,841 Member
487838_10150959874899385_543681257_n.jpg

I don't know if any of you have seen this before....

but makes you think does it not?

Replies

• SmexAppeal
    SmexAppeal Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I saw it today and was baffled by the water... sugar in water?!?!
    Then I read the article.. just a reflection.
    I basically cut out all drinks except water. I will on occassion have a pop or wine/alcoholic beverage.
    But basically water for me. And I like it this way.
    It's really astonishing when you think of all the kids that drink those sugary koolaids and such!
  • Briski1411
    Briski1411 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    What do u mean water doesn't have any sugar in it? It taste so good though
  • brandivestal
    brandivestal Posts: 2,637 Member
    Options
    maybe that is the flavored water or something... my water says nothing about sugar lol
  • karenjoy
    Options
    if you look carefully, there is NO sugar in the water, the bag is EMPTY, but it is bent and the light is catching it so it looks a bit like there is some in there...there is not....
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i used to eat 10 sugar packs a day from dunkin donuts. oh man i loved my sugar.
  • tom_olech
    tom_olech Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    if you look carefully, there is NO sugar in the water, the bag is EMPTY, but it is bent and the light is catching it so it looks a bit like there is some in there...there is not....

Spot on, thanks for pointing that out because it thought the bag had something inside of it.....
  • olee67
    olee67 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    You really want a mind F@#$

Read this. So much for NO sugar:

The Wall Street Journal just reported that Diet Coke beats out Pepsi for consumers in the US—only Coke beats them both in total sales. Consumers reach for a can of that cold, bubbly, sweet beverage to get their jolted caffeine fix and a sugary high, but without the calories of normal soda. Sad thing is, if you’re drinking diet soda, it still might make you gain weight. Find out why.

Researchers from the University of Texas Health Science Center recently presented strong data proving that diet soda may make us fat. They found that the more diet sodas a person drank, the more weight they gained.

Overall, all soda drinkers (both sugar-sweetened and diet) gained weight compared to a control group that did not drink soda. But those drinking only diet soda gained more weight than those drinking regular soda. So much, in fact, that researchers concluded there is “a 41% increase in risk of being overweight for every can or bottle of diet soft drink a person consumes each day.”

Why does diet soda make us fat? It’s not unlike low-fat foods, which may also make us fat. Here are some popular theories:
    •People allow themselves to binge on other foods thinking they can “balance it out” by drinking diet soda later. Wrong, silly. You’re not balancing anything out. You’re just binging. Try drinking water and eating less instead.
    •Putting any food or drink into our stomachs (that isn’t water) triggers our gastric juices to get flowing for digestion, which makes us feel hungry. It’s like revving the engine for digestion. When we tell our bodies to get ready to absorb nutrients from a diet soda that’s actually delivering nothing (but a whole lot of chemicals), our brains get the message that we need to eat something to fill this now revved up engine.
    •The tongue recognizes “sweet” flavors as sugars or carbohydrates, and it signals the body to start producing insulin to help regulate blood sugar levels. Well, when we drink diet soda, there is sweet flavor but no actual sugar going into the system, so our bodies now crave sugar as our blood sugar levels have become unstable. This brings on food cravings and sugar cravings in particular. For this reason, diet soda is also related to diabetes and pre-diabetic conditions. Awesome.

The real way to fight fatigue and hunger is to drink more water. We often mistake thirst for hunger, and by downing a full glass of water, you can stave off random cravings. It’s also pretty amazing what downing a full glass of water will do for a foggy head—clears it right up with a bit of freshness. Down a full can of diet soda, and you may feel high for about 15 minutes, but chances are you’ll feel downer, hungrier and even a bit fatter soon enough.
  • workoutgirl23
    Options
    but sugar is so awesome! i love my sugar. i cut back, but i will never give it up.
    :)
  • robinhardysmall
    robinhardysmall Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    It is actually scary to me now as I used to drink 6 Mountain Dew (not diet) a day- 20 ounce bottles!!

What scares me a little more now though - my husband uses 16 packets of sugar in his coffee every morning - along with his donut for breakfast :(
  • Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I can't stop looking at your cleavage long enough to really assess whats in the photo.
  • LifeJacketWaterJogger
    Options
    awesome thanks for sharing!
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I couldn't see the picture, but your avatar would be too distracting for me to make a solid argument.

Not that that's a bad thing.
  • littlelaurie14
    littlelaurie14 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    i used to eat 10 sugar packs a day from dunkin donuts. oh man i loved my sugar.
    I used to eat sugar packets too. Oh god.

But yea, I mainly just drink water, with an occasionally sugary drink, though it's usually not worth it. It is crazy thinking about how often kids consume those sugary drinks...
  • texastango
    texastango Posts: 309
    Options
    487838_10150959874899385_543681257_n.jpg

I don't know if any of you have seen this before....

but makes you think does it not?

I'm sorry that I haven't read everyone's response to this photo. Great stuff by the way. "Rethink you're drink".

My response is not what you think it's going to be. Sometimes some sugar is GOOD for you (even if you are a DIABETIC).

WHAT? Yes, you heard me. Even Sugar in water isn't necessarily a BAD thing. WHY? POST-EXERCISE: Strenuous exercise (over 45 minutes) begins to deplete and starts to utilize glycogen stores to the point that insulin goes up and blood sugar drops. You need to replace carbs both during STRENUOUS DURATION exercise and post exercise. During this time period you want to add sugar to your diet, but the right types of sugar and varied types of sugar.

The reason this is true: It might SURPRISE YOU that FRUCTOSE (sugar found in some fruit) is actually less effective in stimulating muscle glycogen restoration when compared to glucose or sucrose. Both Glucose and Sucrose bypass the liver altogether and help directly restore muscle glycogen levels and then muscle protein synthesis. Fructose goes to the liver and helps restore glycogen there. Sucrose and Glucose have been shown to work twice as fast. Maltodextran is also a sugar (complex carbohydrate) that breaks down quickly but has a lower osmolality and thus quickens stomach emptying and improves absorption of sugars.

Different kinds of sugars are important post-exercise because they all have their own "carriers" or elevators - so to speak. Overload one carrier with too many molecules and not all of them can travel. So mixing types of sugars are important so that several can penetrate the cell and help build glycogen and muscle protein.

LOOK AT GATORAIDE. The first several ingredients are glucose and sucrose. Ahhh...now that makes sense.

So sugar, the right amount, and mixed sugar in your energy drink post exercise makes sense if your exercise is intense and prolonged. Otherwise, don't add sugar to your diet when you don't want it or "NEED" it. I'd say have a beer on me...but alcohol leads to dehydration and post-exercise not necessarily a good tool....but ..do we care?LOL

Information from Sports Nutrition: A Manual for Professionals 5th ed.

2012-06-29142140.jpg

2012-06-29155929.jpg

8443442.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • karenjoy
    Options
    I love sugar too, I used to eat sugar lumps when I was a little girl, I also used to have 4 spoons in my coffee..
  • DoOrDoNotThereIsNoTry1
    DoOrDoNotThereIsNoTry1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Makes me want to go out and have some pixie sticks....with a side of coke.
    And to think I used to take my coffees light and sweet...DOH!
  • karnold14
    karnold14 Posts: 13
    Options
    Uh I am a sucker for sugar! I tried this 30 day challenge below and even after one week I wasn't craving anything sweet! I went back to eating normally but left the sugary stuff behind and almost all my cravings have stayed at bay.

http://olsonnd.com/30-sugar-free-days/
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    *bump* you're avatar is a bit distracting :wink:
  • texastango
    texastango Posts: 309
    Options
    and sorry for this long post...but some of you might have wanted to see this review:

More Evidence Soda Consumption May Raise Stroke Risk

May 8, 2012 — A new analysis from the Nurses' Health Study provides more evidence that drinking sugar-sweetened and low-calorie soda may raise the risk for stroke, independent of established dietary and nondietary cardiovascular risk factors.

Compared with sweetened and unsweetened soda, coffee and decaffeinated coffee consumption was associated with lower stroke risks.

"At this point, we don't have a good biologic mechanism to explain the association we found with low-calorie soda and stroke, so we are cautious in our interpretation of this finding," Adam Bernstein, MD, ScD, research director of the Wellness Institute of the Cleveland Clinic in Lyndhurst, Ohio, who led the study, told Medscape Medical News.

"There is good reason, on the other hand, why sugar-sweetened beverages may be associated with stroke," he said. The sugar load may lead to rapid increases in blood glucose and insulin, which over time lead to glucose intolerance, insulin resistance and inflammation, which in turn may influence atherosclerosis, plaque stability and thrombosis, he explained.

"We would welcome metabolic studies looking at the different compounds in low-calorie soda and seeing how they might be related to inflammation, insulin resistance or glucose intolerance," Dr. Bernstein added.

The study was published online April 4 in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

Healthier Beverage Choices

The study team examined patterns of soda consumption in relation to stroke risk in 84,085 women followed for 28 years as part of the prospective Nurses' Health Study and 43,371 men tracked for 22 years as part of the prospective Health Professionals Follow-Up Study.

They documented 1416 strokes in men during 841,770 person-years of follow-up and 2938 strokes in women during more than 2.1 million person-years of follow-up. Most strokes were ischemic.

The pooled relative risk (RR) for total stroke for 1 or more servings of sugar-sweetened soda per day, compared with none, was 1.16 (95% confidence interval [CI], 1.00 - 1.34). A similar level of risk was evident for 1 or more servings of low-calorie soda per day (RR, 1.16; 95% CI, 1.05 - 1.28).

"When we controlled for the influence of diabetes and hypertension, the results were slightly weaker but still present," Dr. Bernstein noted. "This suggests that soda may lead to changes in blood pressure or blood glucose over time but that doesn't explain the whole story. There are likely additional pathways that we aren't able to identify in this study."

"The burden of stroke is still enormous and anything that we can do to try to prevent the disease is well warranted. There are healthier beverage choices out there," Dr. Bernstein added.

In the current analysis, compared with 1 serving of sugar-sweetened soda daily, 1 serving of decaffeinated coffee per day was associated with a 10% lower risk for stroke (95% CI, 1% - 19%) and 1 serving of caffeinated coffee per day with a 9% lower risk for stroke (95% CI, 0% - 17%). Similar estimated reductions in risk were seen when caffeinated or decaffeinated coffee was substituted for low-calorie soda.

Unlike soda, coffee contains chlorogenic acids, lignans, and magnesium, which act as antioxidants and mediators of glucose metabolism and may reduce the risk for stroke, the authors say.

Strengths of the analysis include the prospective (and repeated) data collection on soda intake and other dietary and lifestyle factors, which helped minimize the potential for recall bias or reverse causation; in addition, the high rate of follow-up reduced bias due to loss to follow-up. "Nevertheless, because of the observational nature of this study, we cannot exclude the possibility of residual and unmeasured confounding," the researchers say.

Moderation "Seems Reasonable"

Commenting on the study for Medscape Medical News, Larry B. Goldstein, MD, professor of medicine (neurology) and director of the Duke Stroke Center in Durham, North Carolina, said "it's an interesting observation, but it needs to be remembered that this is an epidemiological study showing an association, not causality."

"These types of studies," Dr. Goldstein added, "are always subject to effects of unmeasured factors. Further, the reported effects were reduced when controlled for diabetes and high blood pressure. The message: moderation seems reasonable."

Data from the Northern Manhattan Study reported at the 2011 International Stroke Conference support the soda-stroke association.

As reported by Medscape Medical News, that study found that people who consumed diet soda every day experienced a 61% higher risk for vascular events than those who reported drinking no soda.

The risk persisted after adjustment for metabolic syndrome, peripheral vascular disease, and cardiac disease history (relative risk, 1.48; 95% CI, 1.03 - 2.12).

The study was supported by the National Institutes of Health and the Department of Health and Human Services. Dr. Bernstein was supported through the Harvard Human Nutrition Program. The authors and Dr. Goldstein have disclosed no relevant financial relationships.

Am J Clin Nutr. 2012;95:1190-1199. Abstract
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    I can't stop looking at your cleavage long enough to really assess whats in the photo.

There was a photo?