Potassium solutions?

Options
MFPBrandy
MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
I get foot cramps like crazy. I'm trying to stay on top of my potassium, but it's ridiculously difficult -- it seems like unless every single thing I eat is a high-potassium food, I have a deficit. I know all the nutritional guidelines are guidelines, not hard-and-fast rules for everyone, but considering all the foot cramps I get, I'm aiming for MFP's guidelines (3,500mg/day, but I see other guidelines that vary from 2,000-4,700mg/day).
I found ONE supplement here in town -- it's only 99mg, and warns against taking more than one per day (and it is the funkiest-shaped pill that I have a hard time downing anyway). So I take that, my multi-vitamin (also has 99mg), and my morning protein shake, which has another 540mg. I just gorged myself on kale-stuffed mushrooms for another 933mg, and I'm still 1,800mg+ away from the goal (and I don't even know if that goal is enough to fix the cramps).
I've googled potassium-rich foods, but it seems like to meet my needs, I have to persue potassium at the expense of the other macros. Does anyone else have this problem? What do you do to fix it?

Replies

• treimnitz
    treimnitz Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I looked it up and found a list of foods with high potassium at the following website:

http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/food/potassium-foods.htm
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    A banana a day... fruit smoothies... yum!
    Cramps can be caused by other things, but a banana for a couple of days worked for me.
    Tonic water helps some people.
    Good luck!
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Try a salt substitute when you cook. Normal table salt is sodium chloride, and many salt subs will replace the sodium with potassium. AlsoSalt is the first one I can think of off the top of my head.
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I hadn't heard about tonic water; it's worth a shot! And I will pick up some fake salt -- sounds like a great excuse to add more popcorn to my diet. :)
  • alanabeehave
    Options
    Coconut water is a great source of electrolytes and may ease the cramps, it helps with my Charlie horses...