ugh, exercise

Options
I hate exercising. I am so lazy lol I will eat what I am supposed to and drink all the water my stomach can handle, but I can't seem to get in a routine of exercising. Anyone have any low impact, easy exercises I can do while at home? I have a small house that I share with 3 people so I don't have too much space and my job consists of me SITTING at my computer. I just need to get out and move, but at a rate that I am comfortable with. HELP!!

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Just go for a brisk walk for 20 to 45 minutes.
  • joslin2005
    joslin2005 Posts: 138
    Options
    Start out slow. Try walking around the park/neighborhood or wherever for 20 mins 3x a week. When you get used to that up it to 30 mins or 5x a week. Just keep increasing your intensity. But first off, just focus on getting into the habit of exercising. For your strength try calisthenics ( sit ups, squats, lunges, push ups,marching in place, etc).

I used to be the kind that HATED working out but after I got into the habit of it, I feel odd the days I don't work out. Not saying I jump for joy before every workout but I feel SOO much better after I complete each workout. One thing that helped me, stop thinking about the workout and just do it. You'll never regret a workout, but you WILL regret not working out.
  • fabandfunat51
    fabandfunat51 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I hadn't exercised in more than 10 years consistently! Now, since the first of June, (a little over a month) I am ADDICTED to my stationary recumbent bike! I can get that thing up to 20 miles per hour and do 15 miles in about 45 minutes at approx 16-17 miles per hour on average. I have been looking forward to it each night and I am seeing MAJOR changes in my body.

The best piece of advice I got on mfp is YOU HAVE TO WORK OUT AND YOU MIGHT HAVE TO FORCE YOURSELF, BUT YOU HAVE TO DO IT!!!!! Sad but true - just force yourself. You will see how much different you feel in a month. Start with 15 minutes and work up from there - your body will let you know when its ready to increase time/effort.

Good Luck!
  • galecolleen
    Options
    I've just started here and I've been walking each night this week for 30-40 around my neighborhood. I just moved to the area so it's been great taking different routes each night. And, i have just told myself that it's just a casual walk. before i know it, it's been 40 minutes and i've walked 2 miles! Anything you do (walking, jogging, squats, lunges) is more than doing nothing. Just keep telling yourself that. Do you have stairs in your house? Sometimes i'll challenge myself to do 10-20 rounds of steps...not a fantastic work out, but better than nothing! YOu can do it!
  • RitaMarie88
    RitaMarie88 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanx everyone! Walking around the neighbor a few times a week may be best for me. It gets me out of my crowded house and gives me free time w my new baby :) I really need to get into the habit of exercising, whatever it may be. I am new to MFP and I'm sure I will see a change in myself as the weeks go on.
  • Tee301
    Tee301 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Maybe start out with jogging/marching in place, jumping jacks, jumping rope, or dancing to your favorite music for 20 or more minutes each day. The key is to get your body moving. Also, when your're watching TV try to lift anywhere between 5-10lbs weights (just to start out) durning the commerical breaks. All-in-all, you'll really have to find what works for you. For me, it's Zumba!! Good Luck!
  • JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to add that you will see more results if you put yourself out of your comfort zone. Just doing what you're "comfortable with" or what you think you can handle will seriously hold you back. Your body can do amazing things but you will never know it if you don't push yourself.
  • kayakinggrrl
    kayakinggrrl Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Walking is a good exercise to start with. It's easy and you don't need any equipment. If you find that you spend the whole time thinking "Oh geez, when can I just go back home," try picking a scenic place to walk like a park or relatively flat nature trail. That way you will have something nice to look at while you walk.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I also HATE exercising. But about 15 years ago I lost 140 (yes, I gained it all back and then some), and the only exercise I did was walking. I started out really slowly, at first I could barely do a mile, but then I built on it.

I have lost 64 pounds since March the 11th of this year, and once again, the only exercise I have done is walking.

I agree that you will see greater progress if you push yourself outside of your comfort zone. However, if something make you miserable you are not likely to stick with it, at least that is how I am. I get up every morning at 4:30, before work and walk. And I usually walk for about 30 minutes of my lunch break, and then at night if hubby wants to go. It's a pretty painless way to get exercise!
  • RitaMarie88
    RitaMarie88 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I also HATE exercising. But about 15 years ago I lost 140 (yes, I gained it all back and then some), and the only exercise I did was walking. I started out really slowly, at first I could barely do a mile, but then I built on it.

I have lost 64 pounds since March the 11th of this year, and once again, the only exercise I have done is walking.

I agree that you will see greater progress if you push yourself outside of your comfort zone. However, if something make you miserable you are not likely to stick with it, at least that is how I am. I get up every morning at 4:30, before work and walk. And I usually walk for about 30 minutes of my lunch break, and then at night if hubby wants to go. It's a pretty painless way to get exercise!

I am so in awe that you have seen such amazing results only from walking! I try to walk on my lunch break but that is it. And that only happens like once a week lol I have to get in the mind frame that any movement is better than no movement.