I never believed in counting calories so heres my story

Options
Last summer (at my peak of 250#) I remember asking a buddy of mine who is a pro natural bodybuilder how he gets so ripped for competition, I asked "cut the carbs?" He said aside from his workouts watch your caloric intake. I didn't see it as something that simple so I never gave it much thought.

I have always considered myself a little health conscience, physically active and athletic. Most my family is obese, my dad has an amputated leg from being a type 2 diabetic. I am 6' tall and of polynesian descent, so I have what we call thick bones and its genetically difficult to maintain a healthy BMI which (at 213#) lists me at a score of 29, borderline obese. I don't care for the BMI much.

4 years ago my wife and I had our first child. I also got laid off from work, (construction) became a stay at home dad, got lazy, lost motivation and found too many reasons to have a few beers. 2 years later we had our second child. Not working and staying home all the time I was a couch potato and developed a "beer gut" LOL! So I went from my physical best of 195# in 2007 to sedentary worst of 250#. I just ate there weren't restrictions on portions. I tried eating less sugary and white flour foods. It helped a little.

Last September 2011 my wife and I got memberships to the local gym. Looking for a lifestyle change and wanting to get back into playing a few competitive volleyball tournaments and leagues I started the lifestyle change consisting of weightlifting and cardio. I would cycle into losing a couple pounds then plateau for a month.

April of 2012 I'm at 235 and I had lost about 15# in 7 months. One morning my wife told me about this "app" that her co-workers were talking about. So I started MFP on April 16th, 2012... It changed my life! I never thought I would get back into shape. I feel so much better. I lost 25# in just 3 months of using it. I'm currently at 210# and keep lowering my goal weight. My first goal was 220# to 215 to 210, now I don't see a problem with striving for 200-205#.

Along with tracking calories and portions, I now eat nutrient rich, whole, low cal foods within my daily allowed caloric intake (currently 1920). Nothing really crazy at all, I work out 3-4 times a week for 45-90 minutes, consisting of 33 minutes of cardio (about 350-400 cals) and strength training
(mostly hi reps). I like to add to my "calories remaining" by doing cardio and sports. I end the day/week below my calorie allowance. It feels surreal to fit back into clothes I haven't used in 4 years. It's also fun to research tasty low cal foods and recipes.

I would like to share a tip that helped me shred past them plateaus.. 900-1500 calorie burn 1-2 times a week when I plateau. It consists of biking uphill for a mile or 2, jogging on the beach, an hour or 2 of competitive volleyball, any suitable sport helps. Even 45min to an hour of "extra", vigorous cardio can burn up to 500-700 cals, on the day. From the app hit add, then cardiovascular then search for an exercise or activity it can give estimates on calories burned. After all that I might have a beer;)

If you've read all through this I hope it can help!
PicsArt_13416382683011.jpg
2009, 250#

PicsArt_1341616537416-1.jpg
2010, 240#

IMAG0176.jpg
currently 213#

Replies

• ilovemybuggy
    ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Nicely done.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story. It shows that you can have real success if you are consistant.
  • FitnessTrice
    Options
    Thanks for this post. I have 20 lbs total to lose but it seems like ever since I got on a mission to lose the 20 lbs, it became a big mountain that seemed impossible to climb. Some people 20lbs is no big deal but it is a huge deal to me. Since April 2012 I have lost 7lbs but some days it feels impossible to reach my goal. Again, thanks for sharing your success story.
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    chauncyrenayCHANGED Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on all your success! Thx for sharing!
  • mama2shi
    mama2shi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I am so happy for you! I feel the same, MFP has totally changed my life and my thought process regarding food and exercise (I never thought of weight lifting before, now I LOVE it!).
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Well done! Congratulations!
  • cobaltis
    cobaltis Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Congrats, whenever people ask me for advice I recommend counting calories too :)
  • kiki75243
    kiki75243 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Great job!!!
  • janeseal
    janeseal Posts: 7
    Options
    I too am using MFP. Its so easy, just put the food you've eaten into the app and it calculates fat carbs everything. I was struggling to loose the weight but doing the exercise you add in the calories you have earned. Its so satisfying ending your day under your calories.
  • cpaman87
    cpaman87 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I also have found the food diary to be a huge plus. I never realized how much I was consuming in a day. Now I monitor it closely and strive to be below my allowance. And the weight just seems to be falling off after only 1 week. Amazing. Your story is very inspiring. Keep up the new lifestyle.
  • mamakjknows
    Options
    Great story! Thanks for sharing. i have found a website that helps to give you better guidance on calculating calories burned by a particular exercise. I hope that you may find it to be helpful.

http://www.healthyweightforum.org/eng/calorie-calculator.asp
  • carriem73
    carriem73 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post. I have 20 lbs total to lose but it seems like ever since I got on a mission to lose the 20 lbs, it became a big mountain that seemed impossible to climb. Some people 20lbs is no big deal but it is a huge deal to me. Since April 2012 I have lost 7lbs but some days it feels impossible to reach my goal. Again, thanks for sharing your success story.

try making "mini goals"- when you reach those, reward yourself and move on- for me, I have about 30 total to lose- every 5 lbs, I get a new outfit!!!! As I see smaller results, I get more determined to reach the overall goal!

Good luck to you and the OP!!!!
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Good job, you look great!
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Great job! you look fantastic! :drinker:
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Options
    awesome job! thanks for the share. keep up the great work!
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    well done great to hear of your success.Keep going.
  • yelpat
    yelpat Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Well done, you look great!
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Wow! You should be the poster child for why men need to be on this site.
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Huge difference, don't get too skinny! I love the dog in the background, he blends so well I almost missed him!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!