6,000 calorie burn?!

Options

Replies

• XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    Brenda - Jill makes my *kitten* itch. She is really fake and has little sympathy for her fellow man. At least Bob is real and so are the contestants, so that makes it bearable to watch.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Hold up a sec guys. Before we go crazy there are a few things to remember. And so everyone knows, I'm very torn about this show as well, sometimes I love it for the stories, and sometimes I hate it for the incomplete information and bad impressions it gives. In no way do I think the average person that needs to lose about 40 or 50 or even 100 lbs should attempt any of this on their own.

I spoke to my dietitian about this about 6 months ago, this is how she explained it to me.

A couple of things to remember, 1st, EVERY SINGLE PERSON on this show is on the Dangerous side of Morbidly obese. if they went to a doctor, to a man (or woman) the doctor would most likely put them on a VLCD (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Very_low_calorie_diet) until they were out of the extreme danger zone. That's the thing we don't see, they have doctors that live and/or work with these people as well, and (from what I've read on the site in the past) these professionals review their numbers weekly to make sure they aren't overly deficient in any area.

With that said, Morbidly obese people can afford a far higher calorie deficit than others, and for a longer period of time. That doesn't mean it's the BEST way to do it, but generally, right now it's just as important to remove some of the weight as it is to eat more.

While I DO feel it's irresponsible for them to give us (as viewers) those numbers without a detailed explaination as to why it's not ok for the average person, I understand why they are doing it themselves. What I don't agree with is the length of time they (seem) to keep them on that diet. It's not clear to me how long they stay on the extremely low calorie diet, but I know it's more than 3 weeks, which most doctors agree is the maximum you should be on a VLCD even when under physician supervision.

We need to remember, these people are averaging 50 to 60% body fat, that's bad news. Like, you'll die within a couple of years bad news. Getting off some of the weight at that point is generally the biggest concern.

Never mind.
  • 135gratitude
    Options
    Another thing to keep in mind about buring 6000 calories, is that at 300 lbs, one's BMR would be close to 3500 calories alone - so that is only adding 2500 calories of exerise, which could be acheived in a few hours of work daily.

I'm not saying I think it is healthy, but it is something I kept in mind when my eyes bugged out at the number - I think it seems really shocking to those of us who have a BMR of 1500 cals!
    :smile:
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Yep, just checked it. If I weighed 450 my BMR would be close to 3000 a day.
  • 135gratitude
    Options
    I was also thinking that someone who is 300lbs is basically carrying an extra person around ALL DAY. Imagine piggy backing your friend around all day - that will burn some extra calories - and eventually do some serious damage to your system, joints, etc.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    : i love the biggest loser i plan to lose ten pounds. all this complaing its like saying you dont want to get of your butt :explode: frist thing frist with out a trainer you have to work up to it with a trainer they make you do. for those who go in to great detail about how its soooooooo bad. if they did that to the food they ate they would not be fat just think to yourselfs what is the number one killer out theri it sure is not exercise.:tongue: hay what did that fast food do for you?

I have no idea what you're talking about.

And Betty, I never thought of it that way...that would explain a lot!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    : i love the biggest loser i plan to lose ten pounds. all this complaing its like saying you dont want to get of your butt :explode: frist thing frist with out a trainer you have to work up to it with a trainer they make you do. for those who go in to great detail about how its soooooooo bad. if they did that to the food they ate they would not be fat just think to yourselfs what is the number one killer out theri it sure is not exercise.:tongue: hay what did that fast food do for you?

lol, I thought that too, I read that post 3 times and then just moved away in frustration.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options

lol, I thought that too, I read that post 3 times and then just moved away in frustration.

I'm glad it wasn't just me. :flowerforyou:
  • annaliza
    Options
    When I heard that, I actually looked at my husband and said "wow, surely that couldn't be for one day. That has to be in one week! "

I do know one thing that I learned just from watching the two episodes I've seen and that is: I am a pansy *kitten* when it comes to exercise compared to them!

Kudo's to the contestants. They work their butts off!
  • SassySouthernGirl
    Options
    Don't the constestants wear those Body Bugg things on their arms ....so they record the calories they are burning for every single minutes of the day -- even when sitting, sleeping, eating, etc. Of course they work out most of the day -- but this Body Bugg thing is adding ALL the calories burned every minute. Speaking of which -- I ordered one -- I am thinking it will really motivate me to get on it! LOL
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Don't the constestants wear those Body Bugg things on their arms ....so they record the calories they are burning for every single minutes of the day -- even when sitting, sleeping, eating, etc. Of course they work out most of the day -- but this Body Bugg thing is adding ALL the calories burned every minute. Speaking of which -- I ordered one -- I am thinking it will really motivate me to get on it! LOL

That is exactly what they are going by. So I doubt the 6000 calories is just working out in the gym.
  • 135gratitude
    Options

That is exactly what they are going by. So I doubt the 6000 calories is just working out in the gym.

No, you are right, as we've discussed in this thread, the 6000 calories takes into account their BMR (the calories burned for basic functioning during waking and sleeping hours), their daily activites (walking around the ranch, cleaning, etc), and their gym sessions.

E.g. BMR 2500 + Daily Acitivites 800 + Working Out 2700 = 6000 burned calories
  • SassySouthernGirl
    Options
    Can't wait to get my Body Bugg so I can see if I get anywhere near close to burning 6,000!! Should arrive tomorrow! :bigsmile:
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Can't wait to get my Body Bugg so I can see if I get anywhere near close to burning 6,000!! Should arrive tomorrow! :bigsmile:

Where did you purchase it
  • SassySouthernGirl
    Options
    April: I went to bodybugg.com and purchased it from 24 hour fitness. Think that was the name of it....check it out!! I got the display part of it free....a $99 value! :wink:
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    DROP A POUND NINE MORE TO GO FOR THIS WEEK
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    You're going to drop 9 pounds this week? That's not good for you.
  • cwvanek
    cwvanek Posts: 111
    Options

I think I may be able to translate:

I love the biggest loser and I plan on losing 10 pounds. All this complaining is like saying you don't want to get off of your butt. First things first, without a trainer you have to work up to it (fitness goals, perhaps?) with a trainer they make you do it. For those who go into great detail about how it's (The Biggest Loser) soooo bad, if you would do that for the food you ate you wouldn't be fat. Just think to yourselves, what's the number one killer out there? It sure isn't exercise. Hey, what did that fast food do for you?

Thank god for a certian friend who texts me like that all the time. I'm now a good decipherer :wink:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Thank god for a certian friend who texts me like that all the time. I'm now a good decipherer :wink:

I love you!! :laugh: That was great!
  • Iffer75
    Iffer75 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    You're going to drop 9 pounds this week? That's not good for you.

I absolutely agree. I am glad I am not the only one that thinks that.