Chia Seeds?

Options
I apologize if this question has already been asked but I am curious who is eating Chia Seeds on a daily basis and the results? Do you find that they have helped? Do you like them? How do you prepare them? Ground or whole?

Thank you for your responses.

Replies

• bjfrezell
    bjfrezell Posts: 241
    Options
    I put them whole in my greek yogurt or in my scrambled eggs. They add a little protein, fiber, and bulk to my intake for the day.
  • SamanthaAnnM
    SamanthaAnnM Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I put them in smoothies, yogurt, salads, on toast...pretty much anything. They are tasteless and add a lot of really good nutritional value to my foods!
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    - Greek yogurt
    - Almond milk, vanilla and stevia (smoothie)
    - Salad
  • kendrart
    kendrart Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm with samanthamoon - I put them in everything!

If you don't know already - if you use them whole, left soaking in liquid they will expand to a consistency closer to tapioca pudding. It isn't bad! But it's sort of weird if you don't expect it haha
  • vklebanova
    vklebanova Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I put them whole in yogurt and cottage cheese. Very rarely I drink them down in water (but it's a weird texture once they absorb water and takes some getting used to). They add great nutritional value - I'm not sure what you mean by have they worked??
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Keep your money
  • lenema
    lenema Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    They're a good source of Omega 3 and fiber. 4 grams oc fiber in a tablespoon.
  • MegdKel
    MegdKel Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I add a tablespoon (60 calories) when I have a protein shake. They leave me feeling more full for a longer period of time and I definitely miss them if I run out or forget!
  • ArmyRD
    ArmyRD Posts: 24
    Options
    - I'm not sure what you mean by have they worked??
    [/quote]

Have you noticed that eating them helps decrease your appetite? Have you noticed more weight loss since you started eating them?
  • ArmyRD
    ArmyRD Posts: 24
    Options
    Keep your money

What didn't you like about them?
  • shoesalwaysfit
    shoesalwaysfit Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have been eating them sprinkled on food - and while I do feel more full, I am wondering whether the calories expended are worth it. They are kind of a lot of calories for a condiment, and I have not seen any weight loss from them.
  • B_Running
    B_Running Posts: 158
    Options
    Used them consistently for a couple months. I agree - save your money. I did NOT notice a difference in digestion, endurance, appetite, hydration level, nothing.

But I have to admit, I did enjoy the thick texture when I added my protein powder to the chia gel, lol.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I use them but not for decreasing appetite. I use them for the nutrition and fiber. They are also great for cooking if you need an egg replacer as they thicken up nicely.

They do not need to be ground and unlike ground flax they do not spoil quickly. They are also easier to digest then flax.

They are good for nutrition especially if you do not eat a lot of oils. They have some amino acids that your body needs. I do not eat many oils as I try to stay away from PUFAs so I eat the chia to get the LNA that are in the oils.

BTW - To save money don't buy organic. Chia does not have any pests that eat it so if they are spraying in with chemicals they are dumb. I think they just put organic to make more money off people that don't know about the pest not eating the seeds.