SO hungry after Working Out!

Options

Replies

• NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite, after I exercise I am not hungry at all. In fact I use it as a tool when I am hungry to stop me from eating the house down. I would say for you to save your calories till after you work out, so then you won't be hungry. Plan in advance.
  • Dymatized
    Options
    But then when I eat, I will eat away all my burned Calories!!
    Any Advice!?!

you do realize you're SUPPOSED to eat the burned calories, right?

you already have a deficit built into your goal.
    you exercise, you increase that deficit to a potentially unhealthy level, so you eat the calories you just burned to get back to the original deficit you had (presumably 2 pounds per week since that is what everyone chooses...)

exercise isn't to lose weight, it's to get fit and strong....
    the calorie counting is to lose the weight....
    don't sabotage yourself by starving yourself unknowingly...
    if you are hungry after a workout it's because you worked hard and need to fuel your body.
    eat.
    This.
    This also
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    Apples and bananas ;) haha
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Don't eat too fast.
  • wjones2
    Options
    Funny, I am also worried about eating away the calories that I have just burned as well. You know, that you are supposed to eat some of the calories burned to recover from the workout that you just did. I drink lots of water and I try not to go overboard on the snacks that I eat after a workout. I will usually drink a low-call muscle milk, or an Atkins Blueberry Almond Baked Square (only 130 calories and yummy), or a Special K granola bar with dark chocolate (only 110 Calories and yummy too).

I find that eating some with a little of dark chocolate helps curve your craving and you are not going too crazy eating away all your alloted calories. Just some options...Hope this helps.
  • nikki39ryan
    nikki39ryan Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    After I workout, which is usually in the morning, I take in my duffel bag tuna fish. I eat it plain, for me, about 1/3 of a can. This helps curb the appetite but is also high in protein and helps muscle building. They do say you should eat something high in protein within a half an hour after a hard work out. By the time I get to work, I will usually have a protein shake or bar. I prefer making my protein shake with strawberries and bananas & peanut butter, sometimes with spinach added in. Because the shakes are filling to me, I have to remind myself sometimes to eat lunch.

Play around with ingredients for protein shakes, you might find a flavor you like.

Really dim question here but how do you make your protein shakes please?
    Thanks x
  • Twiliightmoon
    Options
    The protein shake I make now is made with:
    For 2 servings:

1 whole banana, frozen
    8 frozen whole strawberries
    2 scoops vanilla whey
    2 tablespoons natural peanut butter
    16 oz water

Peanut butter can always be omitted. I have used spinach in this same shake. I wash the spinach thoroughly and freeze it. It makes my shake look green, but I never taste the spinach.

I mix this up in the evening and put it in the freezer. This way, I have two morning meals ready to go. I leave the shake in my car and by the time I get to work they are somewhat defrosted, or I put them in the microwave for a minute or 2 once I get to work.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    They do say you should eat something high in protein within a half an hour after a hard work out.

This could be a "myth", but the "myth" is working for me.

I think everyone is different and you have to do what works for you. For now, this works for me, in a few months, it could change.

Time Frame
    Consume the protein shake as soon as possible -- ideally, not more than 15 to 30 minutes -- after your workout to allow your body to digest and absorb the nutrients, protein and carbohydrates so they can be delivered to the muscles and tissues that need to be repaired following the workout. After you consume the protein shake, the nutrients reach your muscles in about 30 minutes.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/399844-post-workout-protein-shakes-for-women/#ixzz2FsPGnijb
    Livestrong is a pretty poor source. From Alan Aragon:
    Alan: The post-exercise “anabolic window” is a highly misused & abused concept. Preworkout nutrition all but cancels the urgency, unless you’re an endurance athlete with multiple glycogen-depleting events in a single day. Getting down to brass tacks, a relatively recent study (Power et al. 2009) showed that a 45g dose of whey protein isolate takes appx. 50 minutes to cause blood AA levels to peak. Resulting insulin levels, which peaked at 40 minutes after ingestion, remained at elevations known to max out the inhibition of muscle protein breakdown (15-30 mU/L) for 120 minutes after ingestion. This dose takes 3 hours for insulin & AA levels to return to baseline from the point of ingestion. The inclusion of carbs to this dose would cause AA & insulin levels to peak higher & stay elevated above baseline even longer.

So much for the anabolic peephole & the urgency to down AAs during your weight training workout; they are already seeping into circulation (& will continue to do so after your training bout is done). Even in the event that a preworkout meal is skipped, the anabolic effect of the postworkout meal is increased as a supercompensatory response (Deldicque et al, 2010). Moving on, another recent study (Staples et al, 2010) found that a substantial dose of carbohydrate (50g maltodextrin) added to 25g whey protein was unable to further increase post-exercise net muscle protein balance compared to the protein dose without carbs. Again, this is not to say that adding carbs at this point is counterproductive, but it certainly doesn’t support the idea that you must get your lightning-fast post-exercise carb orgy for optimal results.

Something that people don’t realize is that there’s no “magic anabolic window” that’s open for a short period of time near the workout & then rapidly disappears. As a result of a single training bout, the receptivity of muscle to protein dosing can persist for at least 24 hours (Burd et al, 2011).
    It's not that it won't work, it's just that it's unnecessary. As long as you hit your macronutrient goals every day, the timing makes no difference.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    They do say you should eat something high in protein within a half an hour after a hard work out. .
    Myth.

It's not a myth, they do say that.

Just because "they" say it doesn't mean it's not a myth. "They' say a lot of stuff that is nonsense. As Tiger's post of Alan Aragon states, there is no magic one hour anabolic window. You don't eat and utilize nutrients in some fixed time increment. It's ongoing all day. To the OP, if you are hungry after workouts, eat! Just keep calories and macros for the day in line by the time you go to bed. Let's not overcomplicate things will a bunch of silly rules that have little to no impact.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    *headslam*
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    *headslam*
    Aw, boo. You're gonna get a headache.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    are you worried that if you eat, you'll be undoing your work out??

this is the opposite of someone thinking that they shouldn't work out after they eat because you'll burn what is in your stomach.

the opposite, but the same line of thinking. the wrong line of thinking.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    *headslam*
    Aw, boo. You're gonna get a headache.

banging head till numb eases the pain of the forums
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    I work out so I can eat all the foods.

I must be doing it wrong.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    MFP sets you up so you already have a calorie deficit. As others have said, you are supposed to eat your exercise calories to avoid creating too large a deficit.

EAT YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES. THEY ARE DELICIOUS.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    They do say you should eat something high in protein within a half an hour after a hard work out. .
    Myth.

Just because "they" say it doesn't mean it's not a myth. "They' say a lot of stuff that is nonsense. As Tiger's post of Alan Aragon states, there is no magic one hour anabolic window. You don't eat and utilize nutrients in some fixed time increment. It's ongoing all day. To the OP, if you are hungry after workouts, eat! Just keep calories and macros for the day in line by the time you go to bed. Let's not overcomplicate things will a bunch of silly rules that have little to no impact.

Someone didnt get the joke.
  • martinh78
    Options
    Myth.

Someone didnt get the joke.

Glad someone did :)

I still say that if you're hungry why wouldn't you eat?

l could also find an equal number of journal articles that say you should eat within that post-exercise window but it doesn't bother me enough as I'm leaving for the holidays soon. I do listen to my body though. It's hungry, it craves something (usually protein, but after endurance, carbs and sugar), I listen and feed it.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Glad someone did :)

I still say that if you're hungry why wouldn't you eat?

l could also find an equal number of journal articles that say you should eat within that post-exercise window but it doesn't bother me enough as I'm leaving for the holidays soon. I do listen to my body though. It's hungry, it craves something (usually protein, but after endurance, carbs and sugar), I listen and feed it.

By all means do. Personal preference and gym performance should be the key factors. Not some imaginary anabolic window.
  • nikki39ryan
    nikki39ryan Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The protein shake I make now is made with:
    For 2 servings:

1 whole banana, frozen
    8 frozen whole strawberries
    2 scoops vanilla whey
    2 tablespoons natural peanut butter
    16 oz water

Peanut butter can always be omitted. I have used spinach in this same shake. I wash the spinach thoroughly and freeze it. It makes my shake look green, but I never taste the spinach.

I mix this up in the evening and put it in the freezer. This way, I have two morning meals ready to go. I leave the shake in my car and by the time I get to work they are somewhat defrosted, or I put them in the microwave for a minute or 2 once I get to work.

Thank you, that's really useful - I am going to try this next week!
  • ang3h
    ang3h Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Uhh. Your body does need fuel ya know.

I work out at night and generally have a snack right before I go and then have dinner afterwards.