defined abs but bloated looking

Options
i'm happy to say that my abs have become more defined and i've been trying to tone up everywhere else, but even with almost a sixpack, my stomach looks distended! my belly looks bloated, and it looks different than fat from the subcutaneous layer. Is there maybe something I can do to make my stomach not just toned, but flat? I also know that sodium can cause bloating but I havent been going over 1500 mg. Thanks for any help!

Replies

• tasiamere
    tasiamere Posts: 233
    Options
    no advice. just bumping for when someone hopefully responds with some. :-)
  • susiebear29
    susiebear29 Posts: 266
    Options
    I have exactly the same problem!! no matter how much weight I lose my tummy is never flat!!! :sad:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    23366514.jpg
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    can't see your diary so it's hard to give advice, but i bet you it's 98% diet at this point. you have to really clean it up to get your abs to show through- you should also watch your sugars, try to keep fat content in a moderate range, and avoid ANY processed foods. limit your grain intake also, and do not eat ANYTHING that has "enriched white flour" in the ingredients list. if you still want to eat some grains opt for things like whole wheat bread and pasta, oatmeal, etc. alcohol can also hinder you in this area.
  • MustBeTheRows
    MustBeTheRows Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    work your obliques, they are the muscle that pulls your stomach in.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Does it always look/feel bloated or only after eating? Sometimes excess carbs, or wheat/gluten products bloat the stomach, so maybe you can try eliminating or reducing some staplers and see if you abdominal area feels and looks better.

Just a suggestion, and based on my personal experience.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Got any photos to show what you mean?

I ask because all women have differently shaped bodies, and some will never have perfectly flat stomachs. Even among fitness models and athletes with low body fat, not everyone is flat. I'd hate to give advice when there's absolutely nothing wrong with how you look and you're just hypercritical. :wink:

That said, can't go wrong with adequate protein, a small (half pound a week) calorie deficit, and strength training.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Your stomach distention is either ACTUAL MUSCLE (if this is the case I want to punch you for complaining), or it's intestinal bloating from often-inflammatory foods such as gluten or lactose. It's not "fat" if you can see your muscle definition.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    If its not a diet or water issue I would look into doing planks and vacuum exercises.
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Try avoiding dairy products for a few days/weeks and see if that is causing the problem..
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    can't see your diary so it's hard to give advice, but i bet you it's 98% diet at this point. you have to really clean it up to get your abs to show through- you should also watch your sugars, try to keep fat content in a moderate range, and avoid ANY processed foods. limit your grain intake also, and do not eat ANYTHING that has "enriched white flour" in the ingredients list. if you still want to eat some grains opt for things like whole wheat bread and pasta, oatmeal, etc. alcohol can also hinder you in this area.

I was about to say this. I'm not a nutritionalist or any kind of fitness expert. I've been reading about cleaner eating and reducing fat. The more I read the more I believe that, "abs are made in the kitchen." Lean meats and veggies are the way to go.
  • MissyMissy18
    MissyMissy18 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Well from your profile pic I'd say you have nothing to worry about!! Other than that, I'd agree with others that it's bloating from something in your diet (gluten or dairy most likely) or water retention.
  • sStephSs26
    sStephSs26 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    i don't eat dairy, i switched to almond milk in the morning. As for carbs I only have kashi cereal once a day, which I was hoping would up my fiber. I def could cut down on the sugars though, thanks for the help! I would upload a pic to give a better idea but I'm not sure how?
  • MissyMissy18
    Options
    Well from your profile pic I'd say you have nothing to worry about!! Other than that, I'd agree with others that it's bloating from something in your diet (gluten or dairy most likely) or water retention.

...upon rereading this I realize that bloating and water retention = same thing.

but you catch my drift!
  • BeSophisticate
    Options
    I hate to tell you this, but it may just be how you're built. Just like some women have large breasts and some have small, some women have a curved tummy and some don't. You can change the size of your tummy but, if you have a natural curve there, you may never get rid of it entirely. The bottom line is, not all women CAN have a flat stomach.
  • MissyMissy18
    Options
    1 additional thought: my sister's stomach gets CRAZY bloated at seemingly random times. She finally said enough is enough and went to a GI doctor (sorry maybe TMI but it's relevant!) and is having some tests done to see if she has IBS or celiac's or anything of that sort. Just another option if other methods don't help!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Could be a food intolerance thing. A friend of mine has a dairy sensitivity. If she eats cheese or drinks milk (you get the point), she will bloat right up and will be up 5 pounds for the next day or two. I believe gluten intolerances will cause the same sort of reaction. You might not strictly be allergic, to the point where you'd be sick, but your body will still have trouble processing these certain foods.

The one way I know of that you can find out for sure is by eliminating one thing from your diet at a time and see how you react In her case, she went on a "detox" diet for 30 days which was a full elimination of the typical trouble makers - no soy, gluten or dairy. After the 30 days, she started re-introducing these foods one at a time and would monitor how she felt for the next 24 hours and would also step on the scale a few times a day to see how it affected her weight. She has a mild reaction to gluten too but doesn't worry about it as much as dairy.

Also, this may sound obvious to some but not everyone would consider it, if you're not "regular" you're bound (no pun intended) to be bloated.
  • sStephSs26
    sStephSs26 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I figured out how to add a pic that shows what i'm talking about, not sure if it's able to be viewed
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I figured out how to add a pic that shows what i'm talking about, not sure if it's able to be viewed

Just make it your profile pic for now, or photobucket it and add it.
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I used to have the same problem. I started drinking more water, eating less sodium and really watching my sugars. That seemed to help make them "pop" a bit more. Whereas prior to doing those things, they only really looked good in the morning because I was in a fasted state. Hope that helps.