What is your definition of healthy eating?

Options
2»

Replies

• wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    When I wanted to lose weight, I thought for a long time what changes I was going to make in my lifestyle. I started eating more fresh fruits and veggies, and stumbled upon clean eating. To me, it made perfect sense: eat food in its most natural state, eat minimally processed foods, and eliminate sugar. Eliminating sugar was hard, but I'm doing great at it.

I had to find my definition of healthy eating, and I feel this fits for me. I am the daughter of an Italian baker and beer brewer. So the low-carb plan wouldn't work for me. It took a long time to find what works, and I have honestly never felt better.

So what is your definition of healthy eating? I'm just curious and want to see if there are any other options out there I haven't explored.

Thanks!

Same as you it sounds like.

90% of what I eat is in the natural state.

The vast majority of the carbs I eat are in the form of whole fruit and veggies. I don't eat sugar unless it is accompanied with the fiber that it was born with.

95% of the liquid that I drink is water.

The only fats I eat are from animals, nuts, avocados, coconut, butter and olives. No manufactured vegetable oils.

My rule of thumb, if the food only exist because a bunch of scientist created it, I try to avoid it.
  • gracieabem
    gracieabem Posts: 211
    Options
    One huge thing for me - and it can be quite challenging because I am a creature of habit - is getting in a variety of foods in my diet. I have always love fruit and vege, but mixing it up is something I've had to consciously try to achieve. I love trying new ways of doing things, but sometimes it's so easy to just stick with the same old, same old.

I eat lots of veges and fruit, meat but probably more fish overall (personal preference). I love my dairy and nuts. I love bread and pasta, oats etc and I don't see them as bad foods at all. Meeting my fat goals is rarely a problem (although I could work on not going over on saturated fats so much). Over time I have made small changes to the way I plan my eating.

I am a big sweet tooth and I do eat 2 - 3 serves of fruit a day. I believe that food is good for the soul. I will eat the occasional treat and try not to feel bad about it. Occasionally I do, but I'm getting better at it.

For me, I do let my hair down and allow myself to eat whatever is on offer on special occasions. Birthdays, Christmas, traveling, family gatherings etc. It doesn't mean I make a beeline to the nearest Maccas when I go away, but it means that I won't be wondering what's in my meal, I will not be feeling guilty or not enjoying myself. I won't ever decline something that I know someone has made for me, especially and if someone is offering something yummy, I'll have a small portion (or maybe a bigger portion lol, depending on the day!!)

I have recently decided that I will introduce a new guideline that if I want some baked goods or desert that isn't fruit and yoghurt or icecream (ie cake, pudding, brownies, muffins etc) I make it myself - a small amount and share the love. Baking is something I enjoy, but I don't often do because I don't need that food in the house all the time. But when I do make something, I make it well with good ingredients and it's always a little special. I think I'm well overdue for an apple and rhubarb crumble or similar... my personal favourite.

When I initially started my weight loss adventure, I was in real danger of perpetuating a not so good relationship with food. I was/am an emotional eater (I saw am because I think I will always have the propensity to be so, I have just learned how to cope better without using food) and I was becoming scared of food. Now I'm not. I have a fairly clear idea of what I want to fuel my body with (still, I'm always learning) and I eat so much yummy and healthy food. I have learned to really savour food and look for great produce and think of awesome ways to enjoy them. Food will always be a big part of my life and I will always allow myself indulgences, but it's all based on a healthy relationship with food. I'm pretty happy with where I am at right now.
  • tropywife1010
    Options
    Wow Gracieabem, loved your definition- hoping I can muster enjoying the occasional indulgence and then moving on, getting back on track right away has it's always been my downfall.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I believe most people's definition of "healthy eating" is pretty similar. Less in, more out. For me, healthy eating means more protein, fruits and veggies.No more carbs (cake, pizza, pasta.. etc.) Less fat, sodium, sugars.. For example, no dressing on my salads, mixing in half nonfat milk and half water when making shakes, grilling with no oil, holding the cheese on a sandwich..A lot of times when trying to eat healthy though I go overboard and end up hating the food I eat since I cut out most of the flavor so I end up giving up. I'm trying to look for recipes online though to help me with both the weight loss and flavor! (:

I am glad to find someone else who doesn't put dressing on salads!

I usually don't but if I do its homemade so it isnt full of nasty crap