NSV: "Nice hair, baldie"

Options
So I was very (140lbs) overweight and bald.

I began losing weight, first by withdrawing from my daily "Eat the Food" competition, then by walking around, and finally- with much effort, jogging/running.

My biggest fear of running was public humiliation, that someone was going to make fun of me when they saw me trying to lose weight. How ridiculous. As I began losing weight, I got confidence and got over this irrational paranoia.

The first time I tried jogging- twice people yelled at me from their cars. "Nice try fattie" and "Keep trying fat *kitten*". I don't know why, but I just laughed about it- maybe the sheer irony. So I keep jogging-- why not? The worst had happened.

This continues. Low calorie diet, daily intense cardio. I'm losing weight really fast, still getting the almost nightly drive by heckler showing his concern for my long term health issues.

Until one night....

One night I was jogging along and heard "Nice Hair, Baldie". I looked around until I realized it was directed at me.

Nice Hair Baldie. I was so happy. It was the first time an ignorant person looking to offend me decided to go for my lack of hair instead of my weight. I smiled and held my bald head high.

Replies

• digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    Congrats dude.
    Getting started is the hardest part.
    And chicks dig bald guys.
  • Sugarhoneyicedtea
    Options
    I'm so glad you kept up with it, through the insults. I've been moo'd at, so I feel your pain! Also, digitalbill is completely correct. Women LOVE baldies. My husband is a baldie. :smile:
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Now, if only they you you took that as a compliment instead of an insult, they would have probably gotten THEIR feelings hurt. You will do awesome things with your great attitude!
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    What *kitten*!!!! But that is great you kept going. They had probably just gotten through the McDonald's drive through. You're way better.
  • _Mimi_
    _Mimi_ Posts: 233
    Options
    LOL Great story, and NSV! Thanks for sharing! I'm still smiling. :happy:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    You must have a much better class of morons in your neck of the woods, in the past 4 years of running I've only had "Run, Forrest, run" once........:laugh:
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    One time a homeless guy with an eye patch yelled, "That'll get the weight off!" as I jogged past him.
  • Cgirlish
    Cgirlish Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    lol little did they know they were encourageing you :), one of the kids in the park I run thru, made a comment the other day .... but I didn't really hear what they said... I had my music going.. Just downloaded some new songs...

keep on running
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Where do you live? The peeps sound horrible.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Love this! And I LOVE your attitude!

Way to go!! :drinker:
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    This story is awesome. Love how you just let the haters hate while you kept on doing the right things. Mega-props to you.
  • iannalise
    iannalise Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Wish I'd been there to see! Your smile probably confused them beyond belief

Ps my older brother always argues with his wife that he doesn't have a bald head, just a solar panel for a sex machine ;) lol
  • mmeddleton
    mmeddleton Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Great story - great attitude!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    You're awesome :)
  • PuggleLover
    PuggleLover Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    This is awesome!
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    My dad (who is bald) says, "Some people have beautiful heads. Other have to cover theirs with hair." You have a beautiful head!
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    Good attitude :-)

And I agree with the above poster: Chicks do dig bald guys (well, at least I do lol).

I've had people yell insults at me too. I live in a college town and sometimes the kids get a kick out of seeing their professor struggling to run lol. I learned to ignore them too. (of course, as I got more fit, I got "other" kinds of yells which can be just as bad).

Great little NSV. :flowerforyou:
  • nlwilliamson
    nlwilliamson Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Congrats dude.
    Getting started is the hardest part.
    And chicks dig bald guys.

we sure do!
  • callhimrodneyafterdave
    Options
    the people round your way dont sound to nice lol
  • cobaltis
    cobaltis Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I think... :) That's funny because I never was heckled but had the same fear... I now run shirtless, my chest and waist scarred from surgery to remove skin and at first feared comments. None yet, 1 person noticeably stared but I just ran a little faster and smiled after I passed him :)