Macaroni and Cheese

Options
SoupNazi
SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
I found this recipe on sparkpeople.com. I am feeling SO lousy and craving some comfort food!

Ingredients

8 oz Elbow Macaroni
1 can campbell's cheddar cheese soup
1/2 cup non-fat milk
8 oz 2% shredded colby jack cheese

Directions
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
2) Place macaroni in a 2 quart casserole dish. Mix cheese soup 3/4 of shredded cheese and milk in a bowl until well combined. Pour mixture into pan with pasta and mix thoroughly. Sprinkle wiith remaining shredded Colby.
3) Bake 25 to 30 minutes.
Try adding bacon bits or tuna to his recipe as well. For a few more calories gives different flavor.

Number of Servings: 6

Nutritional Info
Servings Per Recipe: 6
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 253.7
Total Fat: 5.4 g
Cholesterol: 10.4 mg
Sodium: 612.8 mg
Total Carbs: 35.1 g
Dietary Fiber: 1.8 g
Protein: 15.5 g

Replies

• SoupNazi
    Options
    I found this recipe on sparkpeople.com. I am feeling SO lousy and craving some comfort food!

Ingredients

8 oz Elbow Macaroni
    1 can campbell's cheddar cheese soup
    1/2 cup non-fat milk
    8 oz 2% shredded colby jack cheese

Directions
    1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
    2) Place macaroni in a 2 quart casserole dish. Mix cheese soup 3/4 of shredded cheese and milk in a bowl until well combined. Pour mixture into pan with pasta and mix thoroughly. Sprinkle wiith remaining shredded Colby.
    3) Bake 25 to 30 minutes.
    Try adding bacon bits or tuna to his recipe as well. For a few more calories gives different flavor.

Number of Servings: 6

Nutritional Info
    Servings Per Recipe: 6
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 253.7
    Total Fat: 5.4 g
    Cholesterol: 10.4 mg
    Sodium: 612.8 mg
    Total Carbs: 35.1 g
    Dietary Fiber: 1.8 g
    Protein: 15.5 g
  • hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    That sounds good but I won't dare make it because knowing me I would eat all 6 servings.lol I love mac and cheese
  • SoupNazi
    Options
    :laugh: I'm making it as we speak and I just thought the same thing! I think I can...I think I can!
  • catlover
    catlover Posts: 389
    Options
    This sounds like a serving size of one to me :laugh: :laugh: I will keep it in mind though as mac and cheese is what I want when I'm sick.
  • sopper6175
    Options
    I actually made this one about 2 weeks ago - very good mac & cheese recipe (so easy to make). I'll definitely make it again. As a serving reference, along with a chicken breast and salad, it made a nice side dish -- for 4 adults. Might have worked for 5 adults. Definitely not 6 servings if you serve as a main dish...and love cheesy goodness as much as I do.
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Baked Macaroni and Cheese

3 cups 1 percent low-fat milk
    1 large egg
    2 Tbsp butter
    1-1/2 cup low-fat shredded cheddar cheese
    1 bay leaf
    1 Tbsp powdered mustard
    1/2 tsp paprika
    black pepper to taste
    1/8 tsp salt
    1/2 cup diced onions
    1 cup bread crumbs
    2-1/2 Tbsp flour
    8 oz elbow macaroni

Prep & Cooking Time: 1 hr. 30 min.

Yield: 8 servings Serving Size: 0.750 cup(s)

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Cook macaroni according to the package instructions and drain. As macaroni is cooking, in a separate pot melt one and a half tablespoons butter. Slowly whisk in the flour and mustard over a few minutes to avoid lumps. Then, slowly stir in the milk, onion, bay leaf, and paprika. Simmer for 10 minutes and remove bay leaf. Stir in the egg, one cup of cheese and season with the salt and fresh pepper. Once the macaroni is cooked and drained, fold into the mixture and pour into a casserole dish. Top the macaroni mixture with remaining cheese. Melt 1/2 tablespoon butter in a small saucepan and add bread crumbs to coat. Sprinkle top of casserole with bread crumbs and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and wait about 5 minutes before serving.

Total Calories: 211 Carbohydrates: 23.43 g
    Total Fat: 7.10 g Protein: 13.18 g
    Sat Fat: 3.82 g Fiber: 1.22 g
    Cholesterol: 22 mg Sodium: 307 mg

http://www.healthylivingonline.com/mealsRecipes/recipecenter/index.cfm?fuseaction=recipePage&recipe=54
  • MsLadybug
    MsLadybug Posts: 55
    Options

Thanks for posting this. The top one, unfortunately, has way too much sodium for me.
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Thanks for posting this. The top one, unfortunately, has way too much sodium for me.
    Very welcome:bigsmile:
    Enjoy!

~Joanna:flowerforyou: