couch 2 5K questions

Options
i downloaded it to my phone.........i got to start working back out, i can walk for an hour and half without problem at 3.5 mph, I am terrified of running...... well of failure at running but i have always DREAMED of being a runner, be able to jog, run, get going, exercise anywhere iwth just a pair of sneakers

quiestions :

is it as hard as i am imagining (i have not ran since high school)

how fast should "walking" be??? how fast is considered jogging???

is it possible for someone very obese to do this program?? i am 271 pounds and large chested/ abd

should i start off with something else easier? am i talking myself out of it??

am i just being a chicken???

amber

Replies

• moran1917
    moran1917 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Chicken bock bock bock!!!!!

No seriously. I did c25k when I was at my heaviest of 250lbs. It was difficult, but I was able to complete it and stay on schedule. It is a beginner program. It was harder mentally than it was physically because I was new to exercise and kept on thinking I would not be able to do it. But every time I did it and surprised myself. Now I run 10km 3x a week.

I ran at 5mph on my treadmill and walked at 3.4mph. That is what was comfortable to me. I re-did the program to increase my speed later on.
  • perdie7
    perdie7 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    You can do it.....A year ago I couldn't walk up the stairs in my house without gettng out of breath. Last week I ran a 5K in 35:52.

I used the C25K, I had to repeat week one. but then later when I got to where you run 2.25 miles, I decided too keep going and ran 3 miles.

go for it, if you need to repeat a week, repeat it.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    i downloaded it to my phone.........i got to start working back out, i can walk for an hour and half without problem at 3.5 mph, I am terrified of running...... well of failure at running but i have always DREAMED of being a runner, be able to jog, run, get going, exercise anywhere iwth just a pair of sneakers

quiestions :

is it as hard as i am imagining (i have not ran since high school)

how fast should "walking" be??? how fast is considered jogging???

is it possible for someone very obese to do this program?? i am 271 pounds and large chested/ abd

am i just being a chicken???

amber

It is hard, but I think you are imagining it to be harder than it really is. It just takes perseverance and determination.

It's as fast as you want it to be. It doesn't matter in the beginning. Worry more about endurance. My first time through C25k I was "running"/shuffling at about a 16 min mile. You'll get faster as you lose weight and practice.

Yes, very obese people can do it too. There have been a lot of people big and small who have done the program. Just make sure you find yourself a good bra for those babies :-) Compression shorts and moisture wicking clothes and socks are great too.

No, start with the C25k program. It's an excellent program to start running. Quit being a chicken. You got this.

Good luck with your running. You can do this!
    The best advice I can give you: Find yourself a good pair of running shoes.

Oh yea....and feel free to add me. I love having running buds!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Like you, I always dreamed of being5k a runner - and I am!!!

To answer your questions:
    - when you've never done any running, yes it's hard - but do-able. I couldn't finish all the running intervals on the first day, I had to walk the last few. The first day I ran 6 of the runs, next time 7, then 8.
    You don't have to move thru at their sceduled, it took me two weeks to be able to complete the first 3 runs.
    - Speed isn't important. Walk at a pace that you can sustain, run just a bit faster than walking. I think that the main reason I could do C25k was that I decided to run REALLY slow, to focus on completeing the distance and not worry about speed. Do it outside if you can, treadmills are soooo boring!
    - I was just over 200 pounds when I started. If you aren't sure, check with your doctor to make sure there's no risk for you. Good shoes and a supportive bra ate essential, don't start until you have these.
    - should you start with something else? Have you been doing any exercise at all (ie, walking)?. If you can't comfortably walk for 30 mins then maybe build up your walking for one month then start C25k.
    - maybe you're being a chicken - it's hard to to try and fail so often we just don't try. I will never forget how great I felt the day I ran for 20 mins nonstop. It made me stop in my tracks and wonder what other thing I have never even tried because I thought it was too hard.

That's the long answer - the short one is:
    -get your doctor's ok, buy good shoes and bra, work at your own pace
    GO FOR IT!
  • srustin
    srustin Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Be careful with you body! Be active, but running is not the only answer. I started running at the age of 45 (now 47) and did my first 5k in 28.52 and my last one in 25.24. I was running 10 to 15 miles a week and started pushing for 24 min as a goal. Instead I started having IT band pain (Iliotibial band syndrome ITBS or ITBFS, for iliotibial band friction syndrome), which resulted in a 8 to 12 week running moratorium. I am 5'8" and 182 and just got back to 30 min 5k. Be active, lose weight, stick to MFP, cross train, set your goals, but above all listen closely to your body! "No pain, no gain" does have value, but there is a fine line between pain and damage! Be smart and get busy!
  • evilmonkee
    evilmonkee Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    is it as hard as i am imagining (i have not ran since high school) : The program is challenging if you are a novice, but it's doable. Listen to your body. To avoid injury, at this point you shouldn't be going for speed and pushing your limits to the max, just go for improving your overall fitness. Repeat weeks and days if needed until you feel comfortable moving on to the next step in the program.

how fast should "walking" be??? how fast is considered jogging? The pace really depends on your current fitness level, your height, and even your genetics. The walking parts should be slow enough to let you catch your breath and recover, but fast enough to keep your heart rate up. For some people that's 2mph, for some it's 5mph.
    Ditto for the jogging. Go at a slow pace that you can maintain without feeling like you're going to pass out. You can work on speed later. Again, the comfortable pace is very individual. Some people jog at 3.5, some can go at 8mph right off the bat.
    Don't worry if you're really slow in the beginning. Don't try to go too fast, or you'll burn out after 10 seconds. Just go at an easy pace where you can finish the running interval without being out of breath. If it means walking faster instead of running, just do that.
    Speed will come as you get more fit and lose weight. I first jogged at 4 mph on 0% incline on a treadmill, and I was huffing and puffing after 2 minutes. 50 lbs and 12 months later, I can maintain 6mph over a hilly 10 k course.

is it possible for someone very obese to do this program?? I only had about 50 lbs to lose, so I don't have any personal experience with this, but a lot of the people on the coolrunning board and here started C25k while obese. Talk to your doctor first to make sure that you don't have any serious heart issues that would make running dangerous, and get a good bra and good shoes. Go to a running store and get fitted for shoes, and do not try to save money by buying an unsupportive bra. The more weight you carry, the more important the right shoes and bra are.

Try the first day. The first day of the progam I used had 8x 1 min of running. If you can do it- great.
    If you can only do 1 minute of running and can't do the other 7 repeats, NBD- just finish by walking. Next time try to do one more, and keep going. As long as you pushed yourself and got your heart rate up, you're still getting a good workout.
  • curryinahurry
    curryinahurry Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    i am afraid to start too...

my brother runs 5 miles at once and i cant even do one anymore

i am thinking to give jogging another try in the near future...?
  • JWmovin4ward
    JWmovin4ward Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I had always felt the "urge" to run, but didn't feel/think I could. I honestly believe the hardest thing about jogging/running is being able to switch off the mind (thinking you can't), that was my issue anyway. I haven't done the c25k, I just started with intervals on the treamill, until a friend talked me into doing a fun run (12km) & then she trained with me. It turned out I was trying to go to fast, once she slowed me down (even though it felt not much more then walking pace to me) I discovered that I could actually do it. I too have the big chest problem... I wear a good sports bra with a tight sports crop top on top. Slow & steady definately worked for me, I hope it works for you too. Just switch the mind off & give it a go, you can do it! Good luck! :smile:
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    You've gotten some good answers so far so I just have a few things to contribute:

1. You shouldn't be running at a pace is so fast you can't carry on a conversation. In other words, you shouldn't be out of breath, huffing and puffing. A good jogging speed to start out with is around 4.5 to 5 MPH. Walking intervals should be between 3 and 3.5, a steady walk, no speed walking.
    2. Take it at your own pace. I had to create my own "Week 0" when I started last April. Running for one minute was just too much for me at first, so I ran for 30 seconds.
    3. Believe in yourself. I started running at the age of 45 having never run long distances before in my entire life. Since I started running last year, I've run several 5K, 10K and 15K races, 3 half marathons and have 3 more half marathons scheduled for this year. If I can do this, you certainly can!
    4. Stick to the C25K plan. Don't try to run every day and don't do other high impact activities on the days between runs, especially at first. Your body needs time to recover from this new activity and running only every other day will keep you running and help prevent injury.
    5. Listen to your body. If you have ANY pain in your joints or shins that lingers, figure out why. Joint and shin pain is usually caused by bad shoes, a hard running surface or trying to do too much too fast (see #4).
    6. If you don't have running shoes, you can probably get away with any old training/tennis shoes until you start running for more than a few minutes at a time. At that point, it's a good idea to go get fitted for shoes that are made specifically for the way you run. Go to a dedicated running store where they will watch you run and then suggest the appropriate shoe type.

Good luck and most importantly, have fun!
  • ambermichk
    ambermichk Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    thank you all, as i said i walk at 3.5 for over an hour without much problem at all, i have not added big inclines into that yet, 6 months ago i was up to running to one song (about 3 minutes) but not able to run again for 3 minutes so i thought this program could work me up slower.....

i KNOW I AM BEING CHICKEN........... i have the fear of failure..... i will stop this negative and try it, what is the worst that can happen? fall off the treadmill and have to get back on? have to walk instead of some of the running.....

now to find a good bra..... and bravery
  • lesle1
    lesle1 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    You can do it! I didn't do the C25K because I hadn't heard of it. Like you I started with walking. Add some sloooow jogging here and there and listen to your body. Don't worry about speed yet. Keep trying to make those little jogs a little longer. Hey, I'm 51 and lost 115 pounds in a year by running... and that started as walking. : ) You want it bad enough you can do it!
  • sed1217
    sed1217 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I am on week 4 of C25K right now and I weigh 247 - I really find the program motivates me. I love being able to reach the small goals, like moving on to another week or even to increase the speed on the treadmill a bit. I've been walking at 3.0 and jogging at anywhere from 4.0 to 4.5, so I am not fast at all! I lope along, lol. But I get a good workout and I like it.
  • weeblex
    weeblex Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I just started this yesterday and decided "Couch" is a bit of an over exaggeration, I'm not fit enough to start it.

Yesterday I did 15 minutes, today 22 minutes, etc. I'm following the program but I won't count myself as starting week one till I hit 30 minutes two days running.
  • airbent
    airbent Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I started this week and I NEVER thought I'd be able to jog, but now I've done the full 30 minutes twice and it's not so bad! especially with the app, it runs with your music and everything so you don't have to look at your phone at all, just follow the cues and get in a zone. I use the indoor track at my gym so far because I'm not sure how to navigate the quick speed changes from running to walking and back on the treadmill (though I plan to try it soon). I figure it's about 3.5 mph for walking and I'm not sure what my jogging speed is. I can do almost a lap and a half in a minute so that's not so fast I think. ;)

I think I might repeat week one until I feel more comfortable with it, but it's really a a beginner's program! It's fine to jog at first, just do as much as you can. I've also read from other people to try 30 min of brisk walking for a week before you start incorporating jogging.
  • fallenangelloves
    fallenangelloves Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    The program really does start you off slow... But then kinda expects you to just go for it! (eventually running a 10 minute mile)

My concern was my knees... But after researching all over, found out that with proper technique, no family history of joint
    problems and not being over 20-30 lbs over weight I should be ok... So far so good....

BUT I still can burn almost as many calories power walking if I pump my arms as I walk (yes I wear a HRM). What I'm saying is don't stress over running... And if you decide to try c25k and need to repeat week 3, 10 times, who cares? Do what is comfortable to you without causing injury!
  • Pebble321
    Options
    I just started this yesterday and decided "Couch" is a bit of an over exaggeration, I'm not fit enough to start it.

Yesterday I did 15 minutes, today 22 minutes, etc. I'm following the program but I won't count myself as starting week one till I hit 30 minutes two days running.

Taking it slow is absolutely fine.
    And remember that they suggest only doing the program 3 days a week. You need rest to allow your joints and muscles to recover from the stress you are putting them under.
  • Pebble321
    Options
    thank you all, as i said i walk at 3.5 for over an hour without much problem at all, i have not added big inclines into that yet, 6 months ago i was up to running to one song (about 3 minutes) but not able to run again for 3 minutes so i thought this program could work me up slower.....

i KNOW I AM BEING CHICKEN........... i have the fear of failure..... i will stop this negative and try it, what is the worst that can happen? fall off the treadmill and have to get back on? have to walk instead of some of the running.....

now to find a good bra..... and bravery

Oops, I didn't read that you are already walking for 1.5 hours - in that case, definitely give it a go!
    Try it, take it slow. If you do even a few of the runs on the first day, that's not a failure, it's a success. Just do a little more each time, give yourself rest days in-between and you will get there. I did! (on the couch in January 2011, training for a half marathon 18 months later - it really IS possible!)