In need of running shoe advice...

Hi all. I started bumping up my walking/jogging this week to running/jogging/walking and have gotten my mile down to 13 mins. But, I htink that I need some new shoes because I have had horrible shin pains for the last couple of days.

Any suggestions on best running shoes that don't cost a million bucks. I have small feet that are on the wider side and a little flat.

Thanks

Replies

• kylTKe
    kylTKe Posts: 146 Member
    You're just going to get a million responses telling you to go get fitted/analyzed by a sales associate in a specialty running store (probably just a teenager with 2 hours of training).

Personally I don't place any emphasis on shoes as long as they don't cause blisters. Shin pain may be a result of poor running form.
  • Know of any websites that could advice me on my runing form?
  • ROBJ3411
    ROBJ3411 Posts: 72 Member
    Shoes are very personel. The best advice you will get is go to a Local running store and let them put you in the right shoe. Get a couple of options then you can shop online for last years models and discounts......

Don't go to ****s or anything like that. Find a REAL running store with people that understand shoes...
  • kylTKe
    kylTKe Posts: 146 Member
    Know of any websites that could advice me on my runing form?

Not off the top of my head, but here's an interesting video that compares the form of two elite american runners (meb and ryan hall). Not really a form guide but it's in the zone of things worth watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxA2PidZp64
  • AlessisMore
    AlessisMore Posts: 179 Member
    Congratulations on moving up a level. :-) Running shoes are really personal and what works for me in terms of support etc might not work for you. But since I also have wide-ish flat-ish feet I can tell you what fits me well & that is Saucony's. The saucony womens' shoes tend to have a narrow heel and wide forefoot and that is exactly what I need. My current model is Saucony rides but I've had good luck with Saucony guides as well. New Balance makes tons of shoes in wide widths but I find the fit too boat-like. They're wide all over and my foot just slips around. It really depends on how your foot is shaped so you might want to try different brands for overall fit.

As far as the degree of cushioning or motion control...very personal preferance. I don't like features that add a lot of weight but I seem to have a pretty neutral stride so I'm not looking for any high-tech motion intervention. You might feel more comfortable with more/less cushioning. Try different models and see what works though. A good running store will have a treadmill you can run on to try them out. Even better--see if you can take them for a spin around the block.

Good luck!