Good source of protein (budget friendly)

Options
sawadoll
sawadoll Posts: 39 Member
Hello, I am a newbie to MFP. And wow, this has been a game changer! I used to weigh 158 pounds or 72kgs and I am only 5'3 or 159cm! I have since gone down to 125 pounds or 56-57kgs. Now I am hoping to use MFP to get me down to 108 pounds or 49kgs. I had previously been consuming not enough calories. I used the TDEE-20% and got my calorie allowance to be 1611 and I do a lot of strength training (6days a week x at least 1 hour). MFP suggested my protein allowance to be 121g which I am finding difficult to meet as I am a living on a student's budget so I tend to eat canned tuna, oats, tofu etc. I am just wondering what else is a good budget friendly source of protein.
Also, I am on a low FODMAP diet so no beans, legumes, chick peas etc.

Replies

• HorseWithNoName27
    HorseWithNoName27 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Sardines have about 16 grams of protein a can and are quite tasty. The ones in oil are higher in calories, but taste better than the water-packed ones. You can get a can of sardines for about $1 at the local grocery store in my area, but I buy a name brand. I'm sure you can find a cheaper version!

Also, depending on the cut, chicken can be a cheap protein option. I frequently find deals for chicken at about $1 a pound (whole chicken, breasts, thighs, etc.). Six ounces of chicken (without the skin) has 39 grams of protein. You can use chicken in tons of dishes--burritos, wraps, sandwiches, salads, soups, stews, paired with veggies, etc.

Dairy can also be a cheap source of protein...milk, yogurt, cheese, etc. There are soy and almond equivalents for most dairy products that have decent protein as well.

Can you eat peanut butter? Seven grams of protein in two tablespoons, but it's high in calories, too.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    Refried Beans (30 cents/serving)
    Cheese (25 cents/serving)
    Peanut Butter (25 cents/serving)
    Almonds (40 cents/serving)
    Meatless patties (on sale, 70 cents/serving)
    Greek Yogurt (on sale, 89 cents/serving)
    Kefir (60 cents/serving)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Eggs and Greek yogurt are good protein sources which aren't too expensive. You're already using tuna which is another good one. Watch the grocery stores for sales on meat. If you have access to a warehouse store like Costco or Sam's Club, buy meat in bulk. It's more expensive up front but will definitely save you money in the long run.