What are you supposed to say.....

Options
Miribg
Miribg Posts: 149 Member
...when someone comments on your weight loss? Today I went into the office of my apartment complex and the lady in the front desk (really nice by the way) said "You are just shrinking away aren't you?" I just kind of smiled and said "Yeah" :blushing: . Then our maintenance man (also my friend) said "MIRIAM!!! I'm going to hire you as my personal trainer!!" I told him "Well let's get crackin' Paul". We continued chatting for a while on what I was doing and that he wanted to get started.

So what do you say when someone comments on your weight loss? Thank you? "Oh you really can tell"? It feels good to hear that my hard work is paying off but it's a little awkward for me.

Replies

• cinsuccess
    cinsuccess Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I usually just say Thank you. Sometimes, I might add something like "It's so nice of you to notice." I rarely say more unless someone asks me how I've been doing it. Then I tell them about MFP and all the support I get here. :drinker:
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Say thank you for noticing?

I have a problem with "you're shrinking away" or "you're wasting away" or any number of things people say that suggest you are somehow less, not just less hefty. This time (I've gone through this before and unfortunately too quickly with unmaintainable lifestyle changes) I plan to be cognizant of those things and be sure I don't absorb them. If I want to tell someone I notice their weight loss I'll just say "You look great!" or "Oh, how FIT you're looking." Because when we lose weight we are only losing pounds, not anything else. We are gaining so much more.
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I think your response was perfect.
    If someone else is being rude about it, though, or you don't want to talk about it, you could just say "I'm living healthier these days" and leave it like that.
  • findingme07
    findingme07 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I throw out, "thanks for noticing, b/c I am working very hard on my new healthy lifestyle." Solves any issues with so-called negative/odd comments.
  • LifeChanged1209
    Options
    Your responses were awesome.
  • Miribg
    Options
    Say thank you for noticing?

I have a problem with "you're shrinking away" or "you're wasting away" or any number of things people say that suggest you are somehow less, not just less hefty. This time (I've gone through this before and unfortunately too quickly with unmaintainable lifestyle changes) I plan to be cognizant of those things and be sure I don't absorb them. If I want to tell someone I notice their weight loss I'll just say "You look great!" or "Oh, how FIT you're looking." Because when we lose weight we are only losing pounds, not anything else. We are gaining so much more.

I can see the wasting away part but the way she said shrinking away I know she didn't mean it in a bad way.
  • Miribg
    Options
    I usually just say Thank you. Sometimes, I might add something like "It's so nice of you to notice." I rarely say more unless someone asks me how I've been doing it. Then I tell them about MFP and all the support I get here. :drinker:

Oh yeah I am telling anyone that WANTS to hear about my fitness pal.
  • LizHowerton
    LizHowerton Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Thank you with a BIG smile!
  • love2cook_Jody
    Options
    I work in a drs office and my patients and the drug reps are always saying 'u look great' and 'omg how r u doing it' or my favorite 'what are u on thats making u lose weight?!' my answer...MFP!! So i tell them about it if they want to know! One of the drs i work for said 'im going to start calling u little Jody!' LOL!!
  • sparkie2bfit
    Options
    BTW you look great, you have worked hard. You should be so proud. Your responses were great. You are living proof that eating healthy and exercising works.
  • rosieogle
    rosieogle Posts: 1
    Options
    It is nice to just say "thank you" in a humble way.
  • ncthomas09
    ncthomas09 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I usually have to remind myself to wipe the big huge smile off my face, and replace with a grin I can speak with and then say thank you. My boss asked me the other day "are you getting skinny?". Yea it was an akward way to ask it but I totally knew how it was meant and I glowed the rest of the day!!!
  • jlm_getfit
    jlm_getfit Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    My favorite response to, "you've lost a lot of weight haven't you?", is "yes, and I don't intend to find it again!"
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I just say thank you and smile. I only get into conversations about it if the person seems interested in talking.
  • MalSponseller
    MalSponseller Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I tend to get embarrassed. The only one to say anything this go-around has been a close friend, and it was today. Just a simple 'thanks' from me, but I can't see the results yet so it was one of those awkward moments for me where my mind was battling negative comebacks (no I haven't lost that much weight, can't even tell, she's just being nice, etc.)

But I did say thanks, which is a step in the right direction for me. I've NEVER been good at taking compliments.
  • Meloyelo2010
    Meloyelo2010 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I agree what you said was fabulous :) I don't think there are many "perfect" ways to answer as we all have different levels of comfort and such.

I had a 75+ year old volunteer of mine tell me she'd been praying for my weight loss when I told her I was stepping up to take care of myself. I was flabbergasted and still am but I know it was all in good intentions for her. I just smiled, said thank you and kept my eyes from bugging out my head.
  • apedinger
    apedinger Posts: 57
    Options
    I love when people comment, and I actually got two comments today....I always just smile and tell them how much I am up to :D
  • FinallyFindingLisa
    FinallyFindingLisa Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I always respond with "I'm trying!" I have a ton left to lose but love to hear that folks are noticing
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I just go with a polite thank you. :) Maybe thanks for noticing??

What else is there to say?
  • historygirldd
    historygirldd Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Don't feel awkward about the compliments. Take those compliments and use them to continue to motivate you. I like the comments you made back to them. I am trying to get use to the compliments as well so I usually say "Thank you." or when they ask how much weight I've lost I have said "a few pounds." Be proud and enjoy those compliments. You have earned them.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!