hrm with chest strap or wrist band type?

Options
I've had my HRM with chest strap for about a month. The strap really is uncomfortable, I've tried it in many different locations. Seems to bother me in all positions. Who has just the wrist band type and what is your opinion of it? Respond quickly, I have 4 more days before I have to send this one back.

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Any HRM with only a wrist band isn't going to be accurate. The chest strap is what measures your heart rate and transmits it to your watch. The watch doesn't actually measure anything, it's just recieving the data from the transmitter on the chest strap.

Maybe look into a different brand that has a more comfortable strap for you? Try loosening or tightening it?
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    The chest strap is way more accurate. Not sure why yours is uncomfortable, sorry, I hardly notice mine.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Mine was uncomfortable at first too but now its fine(I've even forgotten to take it off and didnt realize til I was about to get in the shower) I think it stretched to the shape of my body maybe?
  • lindsyrox
    lindsyrox Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    maybe its where you're wearing the strap? i have mine right below my sports bra so it doesn't really feel like anything, it just kind of melds into the pressure of the sports braw around me. I dont konw of any wrist HRM's that take a constant HR either and w/o a constant HR reading you won't get accurate numbers.
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Suggest you look at Azdak's blog on this site for a comprehensive guide to HRMs.
  • LittleMissJDS
    Options
    Funny you should mention this today. I spent the afternoon researching a new HRM and decided that the products with the straps are way more accurate. I read reviews from Amazon, Best Buy, REI and this site. I also did a quick experiment this morning. I have the Polar 4 with strap and the Motiva Mio which is the watch alone. The Mio estimated my walk burned an outrageous number of calories compared to the Polar. Like more than double the calories burned! (There is no way my 20 minute walk was 400 calories!)

I decided to upgrade to the Polar 7 which has a strap and Im super excited. Depending on your HRM, you could try a different strap.

I wonder if you wear the strap in the shower and soap it up if it will become more comfortable? Maybe it would become softer? I found if I wore my strap with a tight sports bra I never felt it.

Good luck.
  • hucksmom1
    hucksmom1 Posts: 8
    Options
    Not only is the wrist only type not as accurate, but you have to stop what you are doing & touch a button or the screen with your finger & wait for a reading. That would really annoy me, personally. I like the constant reading I get with the chest strap & I can check it without having to interrupt my workout. I really hardly notice mine either, it sits right in the same place as my bra & really doesn't feel any different than a bra does.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Chest strap! Maybe you need a different kind? I have a Polar FT4. The chest strap is elastic material rather than rubber. I barely notice it.
  • BeantownSooner
    Options
    As everyone else said the chest straps are much more accurate. The wrist ones that claim they monitor don't really do the trick. Once you're sweaty it's game over for those. In addition part of the estimate includes motion of your arms. When I had one I was going a Yoga X routine from P90X and after an hour and a half it said I burned 120 calories all the while I was a puddle of sweat and thought I was going to die. Figuring that wasn't right I stood there and made a running motion with my arms for a couple of minutes and burned 20 calories!!!

Time to try the chest strap I said!!
  • josiecowboy69
    Options
    I decided to upgrade to the Polar 7 which has a strap and Im super excited. Depending on your HRM, you could try a different strap.

Good luck.
    [/quote]

I have the polar FT7... Just not a comfortable strap to me. On the right side there is a piece of metal that connects front to back. It's not very comfortable after I start getting into my exercise. Can you reverse the strap to fasten on either side? It goes into effect mode A LOT! JUST FIGURING IT'S NOT GETTING A GOOD SIGNAL.
  • kbd388
    kbd388 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I bought the Timex Ironman woman's purple one and the chest strap is SO comfortable, I don't even know it is there. The only problem I have is the HRM tells me I am burning 620 calories, walking 45 minutes at 4.0 mph. 620 seems super high. So, I might return it. All I wanted it for was the calories burned.

Edited to add, I don't know much about these things, but mine has a chest strap and a watch that I wear. The reading for everything is on the watch. Are some of you saying you can get a chest strap and the readings are on the strap, not on the watch?
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

Good luck.

I have the polar FT7... Just not a comfortable strap to me. On the right side there is a piece of metal that connects front to back. It's not very comfortable after I start getting into my exercise. Can you reverse the strap to fasten on either side? It goes into effect mode A LOT! JUST FIGURING IT'S NOT GETTING A GOOD SIGNAL.

Not sure how you are fastening it, but there is a little loop on one end that the metal thing slides into.. you shouldn't even feel the metal part against your skin.

The strap can fasten on either the left or the right side of your body. I always fasten mine on the right and I have no issues.

I've had two Polar's now and half the time I forget about the strap.

Also, for the Poster who mentioned TImex.. don't buy one of those. They are awful at estimating calories burned as are strapless HRM's. Stick with your Polar.
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    So, is the calorie calculator here on MFP really unaccurate as well?

I'm thinking yes.

I am looking to get one just to see what I'm burning. I was going to do just a wrist one, but after reading this maybe it would benefit me to get a chest strap one.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    So, is the calorie calculator here on MFP really unaccurate as well?

I'm thinking yes.

I am looking to get one just to see what I'm burning. I was going to do just a wrist one, but after reading this maybe it would benefit me to get a chest strap one.
    A lot of people find that the numbers are pretty close. Others find that the MFP numbers are higher than their HRM. I find the exact opposite. My HRM is higher, and I don't think it's a problem with my HRM. I won't bore you with details, but my heart rate is as high as 170 just walking. So I believe the numbers my HRM gives me for calories burned. Anyway, an HRM is definitely a good way to find out for sure what YOUR body is doing.