Emotional Eating

nolachick
nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello everyone,
I am new to this site and decided to get on to keep track of my diet and exercise as well as get support. Its been more than a year since I was at my goal weight and now I'm ready to get back. I have to say that in this time I realized that I AM an emotional eater- I eat when I'm happy, sad, stressed****, despressed. I think as soon as I over come this I will be on my way to losing weight because I have no problem exercising when I get into it.

Any advice out there?

Thanks.. :happy:

Replies

• zebras
    zebras Posts: 600
    Just find some other activity to fixate on when you find yourself wanting to eat emotionally. Reading, walking, etc., anything that makes you happy.
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Just find some other activity to fixate on when you find yourself wanting to eat emotionally. Reading, walking, etc., anything that makes you happy.

Zebras - you make that sound so easy! If only it were so . . .

Nolachick - recognizing it is a major portion of the battle. I still don't really know how to conquer it. Zebras had some good suggestions, but they fail to help me when I'm at work and stressed out and can't leave the office to go do those things. I have found that taking a few minutes to blog about what I'm feeling, or journal, helps alot, but sometimes I can't even take the time to do that. Those are the times I lose the battle. Maybe something I said will help you - maybe something you figure out as you walk out this journey will help me, and others! Just know you're not alone in this battle. :flowerforyou:
  • Heph
    Heph Posts: 3
    I do the same, especially if i'm feeling depressed-- i've found distractions that take a while and make a slight change (like painting my nails, changing my hair color, changing clothes, etc.) work best. They distract you from food and make you feel better about your appearance, total win-win!
    Good luck!
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    i do the same thing. but now the biggest loser is on and i"m trying to keep up with it keeps me busy and out of the ice box:drinker:
  • nolachick
    Thanks! I definately am a very girly girly and find myself running to the bathroom to try new make up looks, hair looks, etc. I used to like going to the mall but now I hate it cuz trying on clothes just makes me depressed and the cycle begins! Oh so frustrating!
    But thanks for the advice, will definately be more conscious of it now!
  • nolachick
    I agree, definately easier said than done. You mentioned reading, u know of any good books on this topic? Or any good inspirational books that helped you out? Thanks!
  • All of my ideas have been said, but if you want to read a book about someone who has dealt with weight and emotional eating, The Weightloss Diaries by Courtney Rubin is GREAT. It is about her struggle with it, and how she is now healthy after having been overweight her whole life. I am reading it right now, and I really identify with her. She is a great writer and has a cool personality, so it is fun to read, plus it helps you know you are not alone in emotional / binge eating... and that you can overcome it! I would totally recommend it, and you can probably get it at your local library. :smile:
  • nolachick
    Thanks! Will definately check it out
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    This is no magic bullet but when I get stressed out I come here and read about other people's struggles, and triumphs, and it puts mine in perspective.

Welcome! We're glad you're here!
This discussion has been closed.