"Biggest Loser"...thoughts on this show?

Options
ShrinkingShawna
ShrinkingShawna Posts: 186 Member
I recently watched a couple of seasons of this show on Netflix. I've never seen it before. I'm not sure if I hate it, because I can't seem to stop watching it! (Probably the transformations). I have concerns though. For one thing, the first thing I did was asked my dietitian why I wasn't losing 10lbs a week. Her answer was because the show isn't real, it's hollywood. She said those people work out 5 hours a day with a personal trainer and most likely have their own chef's. The show doesn't make it seem like they have their own chef's, but maybe they just don't show it.

How do you feel about this show? Do you think it's encouraging to get people moving? Or do you think people will give up when they don't lose 20lbs the first week like the people on the show do? Has anyone on here ever lost that much weight in a week?

Just curious. This seems to be the show I love to hate. I can't stand when someone loses 5 lbs in a week and are dissapointed. I don't like the pressure put on them either. I have noticed that a good majority of the people that lost weight on the show gained it all back. Maybe that's typical though with weightloss? I dunno. Thoughts?

Replies

• TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    My thoughts are, invariably, "What else is on?".
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of the show. I've only watched it a few times. I do browse the pictures online and look and before/after shots of the contestants. I don't like it because it's not realistic, and it can be discouraging. Those results are obnoxious for that small time frame. Besides, that level of activity would be impossible to keep in the real world, and many of the contestants gain some or all of the weight back, despite continuing to exercise and follow their dietary guidelines.

But it *IS* Hollywood. :huh:
  • ShrinkingShawna
    Options
    My thoughts are, invariably, "What else is on?".

That's how I ended up watching it to begin with! :laugh: Netflix needs new movies!!
  • ShrinkingShawna
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of the show. I've only watched it a few times. I do browse the pictures online and look and before/after shots of the contestants. I don't like it because it's not realistic, and it can be discouraging. Those results are obnoxious for that small time frame. Besides, that level of activity would be impossible to keep in the real world, and many of the contestants gain some or all of the weight back, despite continuing to exercise and follow their dietary guidelines.

But it *IS* Hollywood. :huh:

I kind of wondered if they set themselves up for failure by doing things they wouldn't be able to do for the rest of their lives. Or if it burns them out so bad they just give up when the contest is over.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i like it, it's inspirational.

it's good to see for me because it's a reminder that there are so many people out there who are starting at ZERO. even though i became 80 pound overweight, i knew how to eat right and exercise (i just didnt do it). it reminds me to be more patient with people who are starting off with none of that knowledge.

i also like watching for their workouts and recipe tips. i like the latter seasons less because there's more drama. i'd say the season with hoda started that downward spiral that ended in last season's wtf-ery.

they dont have their own chef, they have to make stuff themselves, but other people do the buying. i do think most of the food in the house is healthy (ie noone's buying dorito's or twinkies) so people still need to work on their portion control.
  • nikkiprickett
    nikkiprickett Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people need to realize that there is a lot that the tv doesn't show us...I've watched a couple episodes but just think, you could be working out in the time you were watching them lose!

Also the fact that everyone loses at different paces, and ways (measurements, weight etc..)

I say if you're expecting the results that anyone else has (Especially on tv) you need a new mindset.

Just like you won't look like the people in workout DVDs, or depends on the results of other people

It is somewhat entertaining and inspiring nonetheless
  • Vickiesings
    Options
    I am doing the same thing...watching the old seasons on Netflix. I agree. It's not real life. Most of us don't have personal trainers, chefs OR 8 hours to work out in a fully stocked gym. We have budgets and stress and jobs. We do life. However, I am inspired by the stories...the triumphs and the fact that people who weigh 400-500 lbs actually start moving and get in shape. It motivates me to get up off my butt. I think "If they can do it, so can I." I also agree that quick weight loss is not the answer to the ultimate problem. They don't show the necessary skin surgeries. It IS a game. Real life is not a game.
  • ShrinkingShawna
    Options
    I am doing the same thing...watching the old seasons on Netflix. I agree. It's not real life. Most of us don't have personal trainers, chefs OR 8 hours to work out in a fully stocked gym. We have budgets and stress and jobs. We do life. However, I am inspired by the stories...the triumphs and the fact that people who weigh 400-500 lbs actually start moving and get in shape. It motivates me to get up off my butt. I think "If they can do it, so can I." I also agree that quick weight loss is not the answer to the ultimate problem. They don't show the necessary skin surgeries. It IS a game. Real life is not a game.

This is the part that motivates me the most. I am morbidly obese, and a lot of general movements "hurt". But when I see those people pushing up a mountain, or pushing themselves up a stair climber, I think to myself "you can go harder, you aren't going to die" when I am working out. It's very inspirational.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    i "watch" it but i FF through big chunks of it. I FF all the nutrition product placement stuff as well as all the crying/whining. pretty much just watch the challenge/weigh in/vote off.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    That's how I ended up watching it to begin with! :laugh: Netflix needs new movies!!

I watch sport religiously and that is about it :)

From what I see of the trailers I notice a lot of overweight people doing too much exercise and stressing their bodies to set themselves up for long-term burn-out and failure.

I don't see much addressing of underlying issues, but I guess that doesn't make 'good' TV.
  • dollipop
    dollipop Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I like to watch it... Usually with a bag of chips :laugh:
  • krue1971
    krue1971 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    It's one of the few shows my whole family watches (along with Walking Dead), but I don't think it's realistic. On a side note, while the wife and I were waiting for the start for this years Rock and Roll Half/Marathon in New Orleans we found ourselves standing next to a Biggest Loser contestant but his name escapes me. He had kept his weight off, but he said he still ran a lot.
  • CarleyLovesPets
    CarleyLovesPets Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I like the show, yeah mostly for the transformations.

Also yeah, I've lost 14lbs in the first week before - it was probably all water weight. xD
  • melissalba
    Options
    Hello I am new to the website. I have 120 lbs to lose and I have watched the Biggest loser and this is my feelings
    they leave there jobs there family and Friends the world...and there new world becomes the Gym/trainer/food
    for how ever long they can last on the show. they work out up to 7 hours a day well when you live in a world with only a gym no tv no movies no online what else is there to do? I have talked to my doctor by the way I love to death we do agree on one thing the faster you can lose the better you are mentally. I know sounds stupid but have you ever jumped on a scale after being good for 7 days no cheats and come to find out you lost a pound? you kick the scale and eat a twinkie or atleast thats me lol ..try getting on the scale to lose 7 in a week ..you jump for joy and try harder week 2. I do believe the faster you lose the better you are in the mind I lost 50 pounds(7 weeks) fast and I dumped all my old clothes never keep your old clothes dump them as soon as you feel you have room in them dont wait till they fall off. my challenge isnt going to be to lose the weight my challenge is going to be to keep it off
    but i have decided i will never gain it back and thats going to be my fight. good luck to all
  • jahall76
    jahall76 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I have watched every season and like it. The transformations are inspiring. Yes, I understand that real life does NOT mean personal trainers, chefs, cooks, and working out for 8+per day. HOWEVER, that shouldn't discount the fact that they worked hard to lose the weight Some of the people can barely walk when they start the show, and by the end are running marathons. Some of the contestants have gained weight back, but many of them have kept it off.

If the show inspires even just a few people to finally start changing their lives, than that is awesome!
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I enjoy this show, as it displays people who are trying to change to be better - plus i always feel like focusing on myself and my weight/diet after I watch this show.

I think like ANYTHING on tv - you need to think about it, and actually consider what is real and what is fantasy. The life these contestants have on this show is 100% focus on their diet and exercise....not realistic for those who have kids/work/school/plus shopping for food, making food, and self motivation for working out.

These contestants also have a lot of pressure on them - they are on TV! they are expected to make changes, and if they don't, they get kicked off of the show, which may result in shame.

People with common sense will see this, and not try to "be like the people on tv".
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Like most "reality" shows, it isn't about reality. If it helps motivate you, fine. If you get useful tips, that's great. if it makes you feel that your loss is not fast enough and discourages you, stay away from it.

Before you take it as a "role model", check the after stories... a few people who've been on the show have already had major re-gains, and that's after all that help and support.

My personal opinion is that they lose way too quickly to be healthy, and that with all the extra support and a non-normal life (like quitting their jobs to do this) they don't learn what they need to learn to maintain. Luckily some of them do learn that, and I hope most of them are able to maintain, because they have put in all that work.

Edit: And yes, I've watched a couple of episodes, but nowhere near a full season.