Should I exercise more?

Options
I've been doing Jillian Michael's 30 day shred, and so far everything is good but once I'm done I feel like I should be doing more. I'm super sore, but exercising once a day isn't exactly normal for me. I just don't want to over-do it and lose motivation if I decide to workout more than the program says to. I used to work out a lot, but had knee surgery so I'm trying to get back into shape.

Replies

• Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 3-5 miles on my treadmill in addition to the 30 DS. I don't feel like it's enough of a calorie burn for my weight loss goals, plus I want to improve my 5K time by September. The 30 DS workout is awesome for me for working my arms and shoulders, while I haven't paid much attention to.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. It actually depends on my mood. I only do the 30ds on the weekends though. After I do it, I feel like I'm done for the day, but give me 2 hours and I feel crappy about myself that I only worked out for 20 minutes. So, I usually either go for a walk, swim, do another 20 minute workout like her kickboxing dvd. After that, I'm done. Last week, I did the 30ds level 1 then right after did the kickboxing. Also, usually towards the end of the 30ds, I gain more energy and want to keep going just as it's ending.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I recommend you don't add any more exercise until you aren't sore any more from what you are doing now.

You shouldn't exercise more than what your body can recover from. When you first start out this isn't very much. As your fitness improves and you get stronger it can recover from more and you can add to what you are doing.

The key is progressive overload. Add enough each time to get stronger. Don't add so much at one time that it overwhelms your ability to recover and breaks you down.