I am thinking about going Vegetarian...

Today i read someone say something to the extent of if you ate 1,200 calories of broccoli you would be so full! That is when it hit me. Why do I need meat to fill me up? Last time I checked there are other sources of protein then meat, and there are a lot better sources of healthy fats. So I am just looking at opinions.

This is purely for health reasons...

Replies

• britfout
    britfout Posts: 86 Member
    I honestly don't think we are meant to eat animal products. That being said you could definitely get all your nutrients without meat. You need to eat a wide variety of veggies though and a lot of them. I would suggest drinking a homemade veggie and fruit smoothie at least once a day, you get all the good stuff and it's easy and delicious!
  • HeatherDee92
    HeatherDee92 Posts: 218 Member
    I would suggest drinking a homemade veggie and fruit smoothie at least once a day, you get all the good stuff and it's easy and delicious!

This is a great Idea, I could add whey protein to it to add protein into my diet :)
  • annieu613
    annieu613 Posts: 143 Member
    I've been vegetarian for 8 years. Some of my main protein sources are seitan, tofu, quinoa, beans, tempeh, lentils, greek yogurt and eggs. It's really easy to substitute seitan for chicken in a lot of recipes.

I check out pinterest and allrecipes for meal ideas, and I feel like I eat a good variety of food.
  • Flass
    Flass Posts: 60 Member
    if you're thinking about it i would definitely give it a go! even if you don't like it, it won't hurt to try for a couple of weeks or so?

i 'gave it a go' 7 years ago and haven't eaten any meat since. it was surprisingly easy and i don't miss meat at all. i'm very healthy and get all the nutrients i need from loads of other sources like those mentioned by annieu613.

there are LOADS of websites and books with incredible vego meals so you will never get bored or go hungry. plus it is easy to make really low calorie, healthy meals and easier to cook. not to mention the money you save on meat.

and of course, like you say, for health reasons. it's a much cleaner way of eating. even if you were to eat vego most of the time and then have fish or something now and then, that would be beneficial to your health.

good luck! let us know how you go :)
  • carrtje
    carrtje Posts: 15
    I've been on a total raw juice fast for the past 7 days. Mostly vegetable with some fruit. AMAZING. I feel so good. You can read up on my blog about it if you like.

http://fattygonerogue.wordpress.com
  • HeatherDee92
    HeatherDee92 Posts: 218 Member
    AHH! Thank you all so much for your help! I am gonna start Monday once I have gotten a chance to stock up on food that isn't crap :)
  • I've been vegetarian for 14 years and believe me, I'm not starving! What I love is that it really makes you have to be creative and try new things. And, it helps that it limits food options so there's no running to McD's for a big mac. :)

-Ali
  • AviaBatyah
    AviaBatyah Posts: 161 Member
    Watch Forks over Knives on Netflix if you have it. Pinterest is a great site and also look up recipes on Pinterest for plant based recipes.