Any other hypoglycemics out there?

Options
I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia this past April. I've really been struggling with making meal plans. Meal ideas, planning them all together, carrying them out, the whole shebang. I tried to see a nutritionist but she wasn't really helpful- we had about an hour-long session, once (she was free to see because she works with my local grocery store), where she threw all of this jargon at me.

So I'm sorry this post isn't more focused, but I'm not really sure where to go. There are only two hypoglycemia groups and there haven't been any posts in them for a month.

Best,
Karen

Replies

• Tanya0927
    Tanya0927 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Karen,

I've just recently began having hypoglycemia as well and I'm not even sure why other than I guess i tend to eat carb heavy..no real diagnosis of why i get it though and at what seems like random times...like today. I felt yucky last night while I was trying to sleep, nausea and sweaty so I cheeked sugar and it was 69 so barely low. I drank some nonfat milk and tried to sleep more checked when I got up it was 84 ate a breakfast sand with english muffin turkey sausage and egg white so healthy combo of carbs, protein and fat and 2 hours later by level was 67??? No idea...im stumped. so now ive been checking it all day cause im freaked out which makes me feel worse.
    My dietician here had me sit in on a diabetes class and said eat carbs with something like protein or fat so I've been doing that and not eating like i would before such as a big ice cream for dessert etc. I've also tried finding support groups or more info on here but its really random. I have another dr appt in 10 days going to try to get referred to an endocrinologist or something...I just want to feel better and not be so stressed. I dont even want to go anywhere cause im afraid ill have an episode. I had one when I was driving but thank god I had just pulled into a gas station literally 10 seconds before it hit me!
  • chm2616
    chm2616 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I have hypoglycemia also. I have random episodes-- had one tuesday morning in fact. I eat plenty and work out 6/7 days. I had cereal that day for breakfast and then also had it this morning, but no episode. I get all shaky, sweaty, slurred speach... it's so weird. I always have M&Ms just incase it happens while I'm out and about. Before Tuesday, haven't had en episode in quite some time. I am trying to eat more protein (doing p90x) and eat something every few hours. I have had more substational breakfasts, lunches and snacks since April (when I began working out). I don't really count carbs, just try not to go overboard. feel free to add me if you like!
  • maggiemcd713
    Options
    I just found out I have hypoglycemia. This is all sort of new to me, so if any of you have any advice or tips I would greatly appreciate it. So far the biggest issue for me is finding that balance. What to eat, what not to eat.. The Dr didn't really explain to much about it at the time, just told me to drastically limit my carbs and did a bunch of bloodwork. Its so unfortunate because I am guilty of being a carb fanatic!
  • seventhe
    seventhe Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have moderate hypoglycemia and I've worked with it for years. I haven't perfected the system yet, but I can tell you things that have worked for me:

1. More frequent meals and snacks! The system that I'm on right now is basically 4 mini-meals throughout the day and then a medium-sized dinner. I eat at 7:00am, 10:00am, 12 noon, 3:00pm, and then dinner when I get home (anywhere from 6:30-8:30 depending on my schedule). My first four "meals" are 300-400 calories and I make sure that I get fats, protein, and good carbs (more on this in a bit). If I am having a super late dinner, I will bring along ANOTHER snack to cover the range.

One of the keys *for me* has been doing this consistently. If I go too long without anything, I crash.

2. Better meals/snacks! I used to try to make it through an afternoon eating fruit. Fruit is healthy, I thought. But I would eat apple after apple after apple and 6:00 would roll around and I'd be so woozy and dizzy I was almost crying and couldn't ever get the energy up to go to the gym, and guess what, there's 500 calories "wasted" on fruit that still makes me feel weak and hungry. The key - again, *for me* - has been "combo snacks". In the mornings I combine eggs, egg whites, and fat-free ricotta cheese to make a patty that I drench with salsa, vegetables, and an avocado if I'm lucky. My morning snack is a banana, a greek yogurt, and a tbsp of peanut butter. My afternoon snack is now a fruit, a cheese stick, and roasted soybeans. I have protein shakes too. It's the combination of things that I have found really sticks with me through the day.

Carbs alone just don't cut it for me. I have especially found that decent fats (avodaco, eggs, peanut butter, olive oil, some cheese, etc) PLUS protein and good carbs really helps stave off the hypoglycemic crash. No idea why or if there's science to back it up, but yeah.

3. Always be prepared! I ALWAYS have a snack stashed on me. I use protein bars or granola bars as my "backup". There's one in my car, one in my purse, and a box at my desk at work. Once I start to feel that crashing feeling, if I don't have one of my special snack/meals on me, it's granola bar time. You have to be ready.

4. Don't beat yourself up over it. Part of treating hypoglycemic is just eating more frequently. This means we can't do starvation diets. Boo hoo. ;) You need to be prepared for the fact that you just might have to eat a little more than other people. It's okay.
  • stacynicholi
    Options
    Totally bendyournotes! I feel the exact same way...not sure how to create, plan & execute meals. It's a hassle in a half! It's probably how I let everything get out of hand with my weight...but before I starting worrying about my lbs. I used to get all shaky and to fix this I went to the go-to: pop, ice cream etc. before regular meals. And it's probably how everything has got so seriously outta hand!

But I know how the shakes feel, slurred speech and feeling all clammy/sweaty - it's horrible! And the idea is - eat more and you'll loose weight...really? Because that's downright expensive! And I can't walk around with a bag of groceries - it's just not ideal lol

So, if anyone else has some great ideas - PLEASE share :)
  • melanielockard
    melanielockard Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    add me to the list! just found out this week i am hypoglycemic, and i am really confused! need to eat more protein, but cant stand the smell of eggs in the mornings. so i am need suggestions too!
  • 30lbsorbust
    30lbsorbust Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am a non-traditional breakfast eater, so be prepared :-). I know these are corny.

*Sometimes a teaspoon or two of Peter Pan whipped peanut butter on a banana (or a spoonful of it without the banana).
    *If I have a rotisserie chicken or any type of meat, I warm up a piece in the microwave.
    *Although hot cereal is not my thing, I have found a high-fiber, multigrain hot cereal* that I tolerate well and lasts me about the longest of anything, but it is hearty, because I cook it in the microwave. I don't tolerate any type of artificial sweeteners well, so I only use approx. 1/4 teaspoon of stevia (or whatever).
    *1 tablespoon of any type of hummus
    *a chilled, boiled egg
    (for some reason, drinking water seems to help somewhat)
    *possibly made by Quaker. It is a round, cardboard container in the hot cereal section. Often it is shelved high, low or next to the wall.

Personally, I have to eat something every 2-3 hours to moderate my blood sugar. That is real fun when one is trying to lose weight! From trial and error, I discovered that it is not how much I eat ~ but to eat wisely, a small amount and often. I always feel best when I eat high protein foods and few simple carbs. I tolerate baked potatoes well with a meal. Cereals, breads and pancakes (and of course, desserts) send my head into a spin (even without sugar, jam or syrup). Good luck!
  • 30lbsorbust
    30lbsorbust Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Frequent snacks are very important, such as 8 raw almonds or pecans, a Fiber plus granola bar, a spoon of whipped peanut butter, cut-up an apple in advance to nibble at work or traveling and a small can of V-8 (veggie) juice are things that I have found to be helpful. It is NOT how much you eat, it is what and how often you eat.

Most of us love pasta, rice, potatoes, breads and desserts. Try different high-fiber or whole grain pastas, rice and bread that you can tolerate (and will eventually learn to like). Plan your meals to reduce the amount of these types of foods. For instance, a sandwich does not have to consist of two pieces of bread. Try using one piece and cut it in half or use the thin breads. Have 1-2 hotdogs on one bun and throw away the extra bread at the end instead of being tempted to pop it into your mouth. Pizza ~ only two slices.

Don't be surprised when you find yourself feeling hungry or even a little ill after eating a full meal of pasta. Try making yourself eat more salad at the beginning of the meal as well as drinking at least 8 oz. of water before the meal. Make sure that you set out alternatives for you such as tomatoes instead of potatoes, sausage instead of pancakes, applesauce instead of syrup or sweetened jam.

Almost all restaurants are more than willing to substitute food items at your request. When ordering, I always request no toast, biscuits, etc (because I know it will be too great of a temptation if it is on my plate). Other suggestions to ask for are tomatoes, or LOW-FAT cottage cheese or the veggie of the day instead of potatoes or rice.

I hope this helps someone.
  • BL_Coleman
    BL_Coleman Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I have been diagnosed hypoglycemic since i was 13.

1. Eat Breakfast ( I don't care if its instant breakfast, a granola bar or peanut butter crackers ) but eat it...
    2. Moderate your sugar ( this will spike your blood sugar high and make it easier to crash)
    3. Complex carboyhdrates ( bread, meat) something that will take time for your body to break down
    4. Carry a snack!

If you have any detailed or specific questions -- Message me
  • Rose_bee
    Rose_bee Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Yup!

My overnight fasting glucose level came back at 67 a few years ago. Between that and the symptoms I have, I consider myself a hypoglycemic.

I eat every 2-4 hours. Breakfast at 6:15am, snack around 9:30 or 10am, lunch at noon, snack again between 2:30 and 3:30pm, dinner at 6 or 7pm. I try to have some protein each time I eat. I always have beef jerky at my desk to snack on.

I try to avoid simple carbs (except for fruit), and focus on whole grains & other complex carbs.