Hello all im new!!!!!

Options
Hello I'm new to fitness pal!!!!! I have 40lbs to lose and need friends and weight loss tips.

Replies

• Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    here are a few tips that I found to work for me:
    1. Make MFP your home page
    2. Log in EVERYDAY, read the message boards... post.. Keep your mind actively thinking about it.
    3. Don't try to change too much at once, Implement 1 change every week or so. Little tweeks over time seem to work best or at least better than butt load of change all at once
    4. Always be honest. We al fall on our way to the top, be honest, no one is judging you here... we all support eachother
    5. Keep trying new things until you find what works for you (It took me a while to find my plan and it works great for me but I wouldn't push it on anyone else)
    6. Its easier to lift weights than the burdens of carrying weight.
    7. take it one day at a time.
    8. Have a cheat day or meal, where you eat what you want
    9. Try to talk to yourself as if you are talking to your child or loved one. Often times the thing we need most is to be a better friend to ourselves.
    10. Smile. :)
    I don't wish people good luck, I never had it and don't need it! Luck doesn't get you through this... hard work does! :)
  • MSsl1m
    MSsl1m Posts: 9
    Options
    Thank you...Everything in your post is helpful and motivational!! Im really excited and Ill take your advice!!! Smile is something Ill add and make sure I do daily :) One day at a time Ill reach my goal.. Ive changed my homepage to fitness pal!!!
  • WABeachWalker
    WABeachWalker Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Hi! Welcome to MFP! I'm new,too. Today is day 3 for me, so I'm no expert, but what Apazman said is so true. Be kind and real to yourself, treat yourself as well as you can. The weight came on gradually, so be patient with yourself as it gradually goes. Plan a few days of meals to give yourself some structure.

When I joined a few days ago, I had 85 pounds to lose to reach my goal. I will be weighing just twice a week and recording my weight maybe the two times, maybe just once. You will do just fine. You already made the hardest decision--to do something positive about your weight. You can friend me if you like. Oh, yes, and drink your water. It really makes a difference! If you can't stand to drink plain water, you might want to squeeze a little lemon juice or a "water enhancer" like Mio into it. Take care!
  • shavon007
    shavon007 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Welcome! This is a wonderfl site with so much motivation and advice. On the road to weight lost just remember that everyday is a chance to do better then yesterday. One day at a time!!!!!!
  • cmeroar68
    cmeroar68 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    That is great advice Apazman. I have been a 'member' for quite sometime. I didn't do anything with it until just recently....about a week ago. I am trying really hard to keep 'with the program', but I have found I am a calorie hoarder. I begin my day, first by trying to sleep in as long as possible, (I am off work in the summers) and then trying to eat as few calories as possible while filling my belly enough so that I am not hungry. At the end of the evening I have quite a bit of calories left,, and yet, still think....hmm, okay I might need them before heading to bed.
    Anyone have any insight as to how I can get over/past/through this? I am surely not the only one that has this issue! ...and if I am I think I might be crazy!
  • AlexnEmma2012
    AlexnEmma2012 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    @cmeroar86, I have the same issue as well. After dinner, I always seem to have alot of calories left over. I do it on purpose though, because I like to have a snack while watching TV in the evening. Most times I never reach my calorie limit, ususally by 100 to 200 calories......so I don't think this is crazy at all! JMO
  • Meamo
    Meamo Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am a semi newbie. I have started adding friends x 3 days ago and realized that is the best motivation for me! So excited! Do add me.
  • cmeroar68
    cmeroar68 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks AlexnEmma2012! It's nice to know I am not NUTS!
    Oddly enough I look at the amount of calories I get and think, that is just not very much....and then I hoard them til night. :smile:
  • angel_eyez718
    angel_eyez718 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi and Welcome! I've found this site very helpful and the friends that i've made here are so suportive and offer motivation. I'd be happy to add you as a friend and offer any and all tips that I've learned with my journey and gaining better health and fitness! best of luck and i know you will succeed!
  • TOOFATTOMOVE
    TOOFATTOMOVE Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Today is my first day back since January. I love this site and as others have said try to make this a site you view daily. If at first you find it overwhelming to log your food and your activity, though I find the site very helpful, don't stress over it. Just pay attention to what you are eating and try to get a moderate 15 minutes of exercise daily. Of course, we all know the cheapest exercise is to walk and I highly recommend it especially, if you have been sedentary for a while.

I do recommend you try to eat 5 - 6 smaller meals a day and don't hoard your calories to evening. This affects your metabolism. When I worked, I planned my meals for the entire week and I always had fresh fruits and vegetables ready for when I walked in from work, as I always seemed to be famished then and to have other snack foods around would be detrimental to my eating program.

I do agree that you will find this site very helpful, supportive and motivational.

The first three days are the hardest, especially if you are eliminating salt and sugar. You will feel sluggish, tired and may even have a bit of a headache but, that is okay it is just the toxins being washed out of your body. Keep on keepin' on.

Good Luck!
    Sandy
  • YohioYuki
    YohioYuki Posts: 1
    Options
    Konnichiwa (hello in Japanese)

Heh, I'm new too. Welcome here :3
  • MSsl1m
    MSsl1m Posts: 9
    Options
    Thanks Everyone for welcoming me!!!! I am excited about MFP!!! I had a sugar/salt attack this weekend!!!! Monday I will be back on schedule!! back in the gym!!!