Crohn's/Colitis sufferers??? Help.

Options
from anyone out there who is also suffering from one of these (and even IBS) I need your help & suggestions:

I am looking for NATURAL and/or dietary relief from my Colitis symptoms.

I was doing well for several months of just eating healthy (after being on medication for 6 weeks), until they recently put me on iron for my anemia 3x day which totally threw me back into a relapse for the last several weeks (iron is hard on your stomach to begin with so multiply that by 10 :sad: , I have stopped taking my iron but it's getting unbearable and annoying and not going away....

I have done some research but would like to hear what has worked for those of you who may also have this as well as what foods seem to trigger relapses for you.

Today I am sipping on chamomile (the latest result of my research) to see if it helps, I am travelling to Holland at xmas and do not want to be feeling this way and having tummy attacks every 5 min while i am there...

Thank you in advance. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• firepixie
    Options
    Hi Polliesgirl,

Sorry to hear you are struggling. I have crohn's, not colitis, but some of these suggestions might work for you. I had to have a pretty major surgery for crohn's a couple of years ago. I swore never again, so I paid really close attention to food and how it affected me. I ended up going vegan for 2 years, now I am symptom free unless I eat things I know bother me. Eggs, dairy, beef, pork, preservatives, processed foods, chocolate, carbonated drinks, are out of bounds for me. I have recently allowed small amounts of all natural turkey back in and still feel good. I would suggest going easy on fibre and raw veg and fruit to start. I really believe that IBS and IBD are related to food allergies, so your triggers may be different than mine, but the difference in my life is huge. I don't leave my house, worrying about where the next bathroom is.

Easy Iron is the iron I use and it is true to its name.

There is allergy testing, pricey but may be worth it for you. It is a blood test as the "scratch test" is unreliable for food allergies. It will tel you what foods you are allergic to and to what extent.

Hope you feel better and enjoy your trip!
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Thanks FP

hmmm and here I am trying to be so good with the veg and fruit, but now that it is getting chilly here already doing everything cooked should be an easy transition...but I do recall dad having problems with those things also [he has crohns] and I was reading something today about fructose intolerance being linked to Crohn's/colitis so make be something I have to eliminate for a bit and see how it goes.

Easy Iron, I will have too look into that as well.

Thank you for your suggestions :flowerforyou:
  • mhayes13
    mhayes13 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Magenta15
    Options
    bumping again I'd really like to hear from those who have experience with this, even if you'd rather inbox me that is good too :smile:
  • Magenta15
    Options
    bumpity bump bump