What to order at a restaurant? (date with hubby)

Options
2»

Replies

• alexveksler
    alexveksler Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I was wondering what everyone has ordered at a restaurant when dieting. I'm going on a date with my husband tomorrow night and every online menu I've looked at seems out of the question. One thing is for sure, I will be ordering a glass of red wine as a reward! I only want to consume around 550-600 calories. I plan on exercising an extra 25 minutes on the elliptical tomorrow morning at the gym. My ticker says vie lost 7 but I'd already lost 2 before joining MFP. So 9 pounds! Any help would be great!

The problem with restaurants(most of them) is oversized portions. Whatever you going to order will be, at least, twice your allowed portions. With that said, depending on the diet you are on, choose appropriately. For example, I am on the low-carb diet, so it is easier for me to order (Steak/Salad/Vinegar/Oil/steamed veggies). I skip bread/chips and all the other extra *kitten* they bring you at the table. So, my point, prepare yourself for a nice meal, especially where you already thinking about extra calories burned during your daily exercise.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Have you thought of sharing an entree with the hubby . My husband and I do this all the time, even on our date nights :happy: Or you can do an extra work out during the day before your date.

Many restaurant entrees are enough for TWO people. Suggest that you either share with your husband OR eat half and take the other half home.

I've heard that grilling is usually better than frying. Fish or chicken is supposed to be better than red meat.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Honestly? I'd order whatever sounded good, and enjoy the night out with my spouse. One day isn't going to kill all of your efforts. If you feel guilty about it, knock 100cal off your next few days goals.

Please don't take this wrong, I know you're just trying to be dedicated to your goal...but you've still got to live your life.

Why do we all seem to want to make this so very difficult for ourselves?
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    It's just one meal, so order what you want and enjoy yourself. You're not going to undo all of your hard work with one meal, no matter how many calories, so have a good time and carry on the next day.

^^^^^^
  • marywilsoncline
    marywilsoncline Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    This is why I have the "Eat this, Not that" restaurant guide book! It tells ya the better choice options from the bad ones at most all popular eateries. I love this whole line of book, I have them all. The supermarket one to the restaurant one :wink:
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    If I'm going out for a special meal, I just eat what I want and don't worry about it. This is our life, we still have to enjoy it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    I was wondering what everyone has ordered at a restaurant when dieting. I'm going on a date with my husband tomorrow night and every online menu I've looked at seems out of the question. One thing is for sure, I will be ordering a glass of red wine as a reward! I only want to consume around 550-600 calories. I plan on exercising an extra 25 minutes on the elliptical tomorrow morning at the gym. My ticker says vie lost 7 but I'd already lost 2 before joining MFP. So 9 pounds! Any help would be great!
    Get an entree and split it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • krisaddress
    krisaddress Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    The safest option I always go with if I'm trying to be good is a salad with dressing on the side, no meat deep fried... Or there is also the burger option... Order the burger I just dont eat the bun and order without cheese... and dont eat the fries....
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    BJ's Brewhouse has a menu under 575 cals..
  • smsgreaves
    smsgreaves Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm with the ones who said each whatever you want!!

I'm in a similar boat, date nights are few and far between and we've only got one kid! Life is too short, enjoy your night with hubby :wink:

HOWEVER - No buttered bread, say no to chips, and stick to water apart from your one glass of wine. Makes it so much easier to keep to a reasonable amount of calories. The meat portion will undoubtedly be twice what you'd eat at home, but you said yourself, it's only 3 or 4 times a year. Have a great night!! :flowerforyou:
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Grilled Fish, Grilled Vegetables, Baked Sweet Potato with No Toppings
    :heart: Salad with Grilled meat (or No Meat) No Dressing
    Subway - Veggie Sub with All Veggies, No Dressing. Or a Veggie Salad with all Veggies & No Dressing
  • wjniii
    wjniii Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    My wife and I went out for our Anniversary last night and I had grilled salmon, salad and some fruit for desert. Stayed under my calorie count and did not gain any weight! Stick with the fish!
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I order chicken or shrimp because I like them. I ask for "special" preparation (i.e. grilled, broiled, no butter, lemon only, whatever) if it's not on the menu. Add a salad (dressing on the side, etc, maybe steamed veges? Just depends upon what you like & what it's "worth" to you :-))
    Like another person posted, I frequently now take home half.
    Have fun!

THIS ONE ^
    A lot of places grill their chicken and fish in tons of butter so make sure you ask them not to! Also if they have salads ask for dressing on the side and what not. :) See if they offer it in a "lunch" portion size. Oil and vinegar for salad dressing is usually pretty low or italian etc.....
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I eat out with clients, and a lot of things I could do are just not practical. So, I bank calories. Eat less/work out more for a few days and save it up, and then go out and eat a 1000 calorie meal. If I go over my allowance, I work ot off or watch my diet a little longer. I don't see much point to doing all this if one can't have some guilt free good eats once in a while.
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    fish can be a safe option. if it is a chain you can look at the nutrition info ahead of time. enjoy!