water aerobics

Options
wcasie
wcasie Posts: 299 Member
Hey! I am joining the local YMCA on my next payday because I came to a realization. After playing in the pool with my niece and nephews for nearly 3 hours my hips didn't hurt me! I was injured a long time ago by a patient and my hip is always in pain. Can I get some success stories please?! I am not happy about putting on a suit in front of all those people... a little encouragement is needed lol Thanks!

Replies

• robindina
    robindina Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lisag1679
    lisag1679 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have started doing the Aqua Fit class at my gym recently. I find that while I am in the water I feel like I am working hard and moving lots. However, I don't feel any impact on any joints. I have back issues and my back feels fine. After the class, I notice I can feel that I have worked out. Tight feeling muscles. I have really enjoyed the class and will continue with them.
  • ealynn
    ealynn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Water aerobics is the most amazing exercise! You don't feel the same pressure on your body as you do on land, but your body is worked more in the water because it is all resistance all the time (Even just standing, your abs are in a state of contraction). I lost about 13 pounds the first summer I did water aerobics (60 min, 5x a week) and 10 pounds last summer. See about getting into a class with an instructor. The water will tone and strengthen your body if you keep with it for at least a month. Don't worry about putting on a suit. The exercise is done in chest high water, so all anyone will see is your head and arms. I encourage you to pursue this! :)
  • MD1Girl
    MD1Girl Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have been doing aqua aerobics now for two weeks and I love it. I can't speak long term results, but the water takes away a lot of the impact and makes it easier to do things you can't do out of the water. I can feel the difference in my legs already. Good luck!
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    As you probably know, I take Ai Chi and lower back/core strengthening aquatics. It burns more fat, at a higher caloric rate, than when you do the same things on land. This is not only cuz of resistance, but can also be due to temperature regulation and such. Being as heavy as I am, it's a real help to gaining flexibility in your joints and strength in muscles that can be weakened by being heavy.

I take the classes at a rehabilitation facility with the recommendation sent by my doctor. Benefits of going this route instead of a regular gym is that it's generally full of people who are more concerned with health than looks, and has a variety of skill levels... Not to mention it's often cheaper. They also let me take the class in shorts and a dark t-shirt, so I don't have to wear a swimsuit at all.

Before I went out for surgery, I was up to large bell resistance, and was starting to see toning in my arms and legs.

Things I recommend?
    ~Go ahead of time to talk to the instructor(s), let them know you're new, and ask for newbie recommendations.
    ~Ask if you can wear water shoes and/or non-slip socks. I found it helped me keep from sliding, as I float really easily due to the fizzat
    ~Know that it's okay to take your own pace.
    ~Make mental notes or even obtain a copy of exercises done, so you can do them on your own if you can't make it to class.
    ~