P90X Nutrition... IDK why it's not working...

Options
Okay I set up my P90X nutrition just like the book says and i've been through a month with it.. and IDK... I'm so upset... I'm watching youtube videos how other people said they followed it and the fat came right off... I'm not really noticing it with me... IDK whats wrong with me.. I'm so upset... I really want it... but it never works out..

Replies

• BeantownSooner
    Options
    Have you been taking measurements? Often times with P90X you're replacing fat with muscle. While both weigh the same, muscle is more dense (i.e. takes up less space). In addition, if you don't have a heart rate monitor (with strap) I would recommend that as it can have an effect on your overall net consumption of food if you don't know how much you're actually burning. Lastly, most of the results with P90X tend to come in months two and three. For me it started to drop a lot quicker around week 6. As you build more lean muscle your metabolism will increase and thus start burning fat at a good clip.

I also peaked at your diary and a lot of your food intake is from processed sources. A lot of Oscar Meyer, Muscle Milk, Protein Shots and Creatine Drinks. If you can try to eat more natural foods when possible. Perhaps a simple change would be to add some eggs in the morning for breakfast. Cottage cheese is a good protein source as well and then have your morning protein shake a little later for a snack. Also, your profile says you're 190 so if that's true then you should be eating 2,400 calories vs. 1800. You may be under eating for a program like P90X.

Lastly, we're all different and I too found it very difficult to consume the amount of Protein in Phase 1 of P90X. There is no rule that says you need to stay there either. Some people just don't respond to low carb/high protein diets. If you feel you're one of those, feel that you lack energy in your workouts then by all means move on to the Phase II macro levels.

Hope that helps.
  • TailaSk8r
    Options
    Late response here but I'd like to say you need to eat more veggies and snacks as well as what Beantown said. I'd also cut back on the processed stuff (hot dogs, etc) because they are higher in sodium.

Your eating plan should be:
    pre-workout/recover drink...workout
    breakfast
    snack
    lunch
    snack
    dinner

If anything, eat a very small snack of 1oz. nuts or 4 oz (1/2 cup) plain yogurt, small piece of fruit, etc. in addition to your meals.

Also, if you look at your main meals, you should be able to piece together:
    -lean meat
    -veggie (which can be as simple as a tomato sliced or cut up with some seasoning on it
    -carb (which many people overdo, but a ginormous roll is actually 2 servings)
    --1 slice whole grain bread, 1/2 potato (sweet is better) you get the idea

Last, you will not see good results if you aren't honest and track everything. We often underestimate how much we eat and are sometimes shocked to see the truth. Over the years we have been subject to portion-distortion and to actually see a real serving is sometimes disheartening (seems so little).

Like the man says, following the nutrition portion is about 90% of the plan, exercise is the remainder. You can't out-train a bad diet.
  • MissFit0101
    Options
    Are you logging your food some place else, because it looks like you haven't been logging at all on MFP. You may be consuming too many calories.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Okay I set up my P90X nutrition just like the book says and i've been through a month with it.. and IDK... I'm so upset... I'm watching youtube videos how other people said they followed it and the fat came right off... I'm not really noticing it with me... IDK whats wrong with me.. I'm so upset... I really want it... but it never works out..

If you would like feedback, please post the following information.

Current height/weight
    Average calorie intake
    Protein intake (grams)
    Fat intake (grams)
    Carb intake (grams)

If you provide this info I can try to help you assess what may not be working.

Lastly, what has your bodyweight done in the past month?
  • fitbugfreak
    fitbugfreak Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I did 2 rounds of P90X and didn't really lose much weight. I find their meal plan can be too much food and it isn't personzlized for you. If you follow MFP and make sure you track "all" your food and excercise, you should give it at least 3 months before you start seeing a difference. Everybody is different and eating clean will make a big difference also.
  • bpmartyr
    Options
    I agree with the others here: tracking is the key more so than the type of food itself other than an adequate amount of protein and fats.
  • falcon367
    Options
    This may or may not be good advice, so I'll just give it as my own personal experience.

When I started P90X, I was 5' 10", 185 ... plump. I knew more than anything, I had to drop weight to make the exercise easier, so I put a lot of energy into eating clean 50/30/20, but at only 1300 cals a day, upping my intake at month 2 to 1630. I averaged 90,000 calories burned per month including workouts and daily activity while consuming approx 50,000 on average. That's a 40,000 calories deficit per month or 10,000/wk, not the recommended 1500. I'm sure most nutritionists would have a fit as well as some on here.

Yes, I steadily lost weight without feeling weak or starving. But that's just me. After 90 days, I was down 0ver 30 lb and felt great, however I noticed in the last 2 weeks, I began to lose size and reps. I assume I got lean enough that my body was turning to my muscle for fuel because my fat was no longer available to burn.

I've now started round 2 and upped my cals to 2283. So far I feel like I'm over consuming, but I'm hanging in there for 30 days to see where I'm at. After a week on round 2, I see no change in reps or size ... so who knows whats right and whats wrong.

You have to do what works regardless of what the program lays out for you. If it seems like way too much food for you, it may very well be. Eat to fuel your body ... listen to what its telling you and bump the cals if you feel like your bonking or can't do the reps.