Sleep

Options

Replies

• ElementalEscapee
    ElementalEscapee Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    4 all nighters a week, baby. Lol but yeah, sleeping at 9 a.m. through 4 p.m. today was NOT a good idea......since it's summer my sleeping pattern is really messed up. No wonder I'm tired a lot. ._. herp derp.
  • kazoooo8
    kazoooo8 Posts: 71
    Options
    I go through different sleep patterns... sometimes not at all, sometimes 7-8 hours a night. I've been working swing shift for years so I'm a bit of a night owl, stay up late and sleep till 8 or 9. I'm on Pacific time so its not late here yet.
  • AliceRabbit13
    AliceRabbit13 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I am working nights as well. Sleep is absolutely important for weight loss...and mental function...and energy...and stress, etc. Fitting exercise in on the days I work actually helps me sleep better. For me, after shift works best, but it might be opposite for you. Also helps to "graze" throughout the shift - little snacks instead of actual meals because of that 'hunger' factor....also LOTS of water :)
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    We work late hours, home at midnight, then dinner, go for a walk, watch a little TV, in bed by 3am, but we dont have to wake up until 10:30 to be to work by noon.
  • Pacileo4Evers
    Pacileo4Evers Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    honestly 8-10 hrs I'm great in bed, I can sleep for days:yawn:
  • SalishSea
    SalishSea Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Good sleep is one of the best things in the world. I treasure my sleep. I need it to function well. I sleep in a very dark room for 8 to 9 hours a night. It is so restful.

But when I am not at home I sleep in my car between my 14 hour shifts! The city I work in is 3hours away. Been sleeping in my car for 9 years!
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I work overnights. But I never get enough sleep. I'm sure it's had an effect on my health, but there's not much I can do about it.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Usually it's 7-8 for me, unless I'm particularly stressed over something.
  • nene01pop
    nene01pop Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    SInce Ive been exercising I have been needing less sleep than usual. I work 6p to 2a and go home and go straight to bed and sleep til I wake...
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I LOVE sleep. I usually get 7-8 a night, and when I go to bed in a few minutes (at midnight) I'll have 7 hours in when I get up. Weekends though...man I could sleep 12 with no problem lol
  • Luxxmundi
    Luxxmundi Posts: 52
    Options
    Around 4-6 at the moment, I keep going to bed late, and baby keeps getting up early. I really need to go to sleep earlier lol
  • janessafantasma
    janessafantasma Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I get between 3-5. Even as a baby I never napped and in High School and College lived on 4 hours.

I really think it depends on the person. I feel better with 4 hours than I do with 7-9. When I get "normal" hours I feel sick.

I am the same exact way, my family physician told me that as long as I wasn't getting tired during the day, having headaches, etc, that I was fine. I'm a rare breed of night owl and early bird. Sometimes I will sleep into the double digits, but that's a rare occasion and usually if I'm sick or had a particularly mentally/emotionally draining day at work.

I totally feel ya on the "sick" feeling. I feel hot and clammy, like I have a fever even though I don't, and I'll be even more exhausted and tired than before I slept.
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I get anywhere from 7-9 hours, (usually closer to 9 I think) and I think it helps. Plus, I just have less time to get into junky snacks!

Oh, just FYI - to those of you who are having trouble sleeping - make sure you are sleeping in a DARK room. Even fairly small amounts of light can cause the pineal gland to think we should be awake... just something to think about :)
    If you're already sleeping in total pitch black and having trouble, maybe look into melatonin supplements.

I have read a few peoples now that said melatonin as help to sleep but they have done a study that melatonin can cause depression and in some cases suicidal tendencies so beware of its affect on you if you do try it.
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I am very envious of you all who get more than 6 hours of sleep a night lol ....love all the great ideas and hearing about how you all cope with the stresses of life and still manage to lose weight!! :smile:
    mine average around 4-5 and if I am very lucky on the weekends I might get 7. I feel amazing with 7 hours of good restful sleep in a darkened room with a fan blowing and keeping regular hours bed by ten up by 4 or 5 but unfortunately it takes me a while to get to sleep and then if I hear my boyfriends kids come in from late night or he comes home from working a night shift its all over....last night for example had to work until midnight went to bed last text to boyfriend was 1230 he came home early at 3am and I was awake....sort of ...more like comatose but restless and couldnt hit my REM again! so basically 2 1/2 hours sleep ...headache feel like crap and major brain fog. ughhh coffee helps for a short period of time but they say not to depend on caffeine as too much is not good either lol
  • jmilian825
    jmilian825 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I average about 5-6 and maybe 7 on weekends I wake up alot and have a hard time falling asleep
  • fit4lyfeLisa
    fit4lyfeLisa Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I get anywhere from 7-8 hours of sleep
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Well, lets start by saying I don't currently have any kids as of right now. I like 8-9 hours of sleep! Yes, I LOVE sleep!!!! :)

I don't know how I am going to do it when I do have kids and don't get my 8 hours of sleep.........I may need extra extra coffee ;)
  • candctaber
    candctaber Posts: 274
    Options
    I'm lucky if I get 3-5 hours a night! I just can't seem to shut my brain off long enough to sleep! :ohwell:
  • coachblt
    coachblt Posts: 1,090
    Options
    Not enough
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    And I never get less than 7 hours of sleep!
    Well, lets start by saying I don't currently have any kids as of right now. I like 8-9 hours of sleep! Yes, I LOVE sleep!!!! :)

I don't know how I am going to do it when I do have kids and don't get my 8 hours of sleep.........I may need extra extra coffee ;)