alternative to weights?

Options
I want to weight train but at the moment, I don;t have any set of weights to use. Iv heard that filling empty 2 liter coke bottles with water works, is this true? If not does anyone know something? else i can do? :frown:

Replies

• Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I want to weight train but at the moment, I don;t have any set of weights to use. Iv heard that filling empty 2 liter coke bottles with water works, is this true? If not does anyone know something? else i can do? :frown:

body weight exercises will work also.
  • thisisjl
    thisisjl Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Doing squats, modified or regular push ups, lunges are all great things when you don't have weights
  • kakklespakkle
    kakklespakkle Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Maybe do calisthenics such as press ups, tricep dips, etc until you can save up for / get hold of some weights? That way your whole body can be used as a weight. Look up calisthenic exercises on the internet and see what you think x

EDIT - sorry thisisjl, didn't see your post until I had also posted!
  • Ziggyzambo
    Ziggyzambo Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'd go with the body weight exercises. 2 liters of water only weighs about 4 pounds.
  • Get_Me_Fit1
    Get_Me_Fit1 Posts: 194
    Options
    Sometimes i get big canned food.. ahahah. Works!
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    you know, you can pick up weights really cheap if you don't mind they're second hand. just look at the 'for sale' ads. people buy them, use them for a week, lose motivation and just want rid.
  • satxtrap
    satxtrap Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Take the legs of old jeans and tie wrap one end. Measure out/Weigh some sand and put it into plastic garbage bags. Place inside jean leg. Tie wrap end. Trim ties and wrap in duct tape. Sandbags are awesome ways to workout. Search youtube and google for some great sandbag workout ideas.
  • SlidingDown
    SlidingDown Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I like bodyweight exercises too, the right ones will make you work really hard!

But I'm shaking in laughter as I write this because I can't get out of my head the time a friend of mine was suggesting using a bag of potatoes as a kettlebell substitute.... and as she swung the bag up to demonstrate it split open, potatoes flew out and one of them hit the wall hard enough to chip paint off.... hahahahahahahaha sorry but it was so funny....
  • LinaBo
    LinaBo Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Bodyweight exercises, a couple 4 litre/1 gallon jugs of water will provide you with a pair of 8-9 lb weights (bonus: they have handles!). My last trainer proved to me that it is possible to get a full body workout using just a medicine ball (you can probably make a cheap one out of an old soccer ball, some sand, and some duct tape). Here, Krista has some fantastic ideas for DIY equipment: http://www.stumptuous.com/no-weights-no-problem
  • SunflowerRox
    SunflowerRox Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice guys! oh and @slidingdown. haha! that is funny, id never use a bag of potatoes though.
  • Laurie1267
    Laurie1267 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    But I'm shaking in laughter as I write this because I can't get out of my head the time a friend of mine was suggesting using a bag of potatoes as a kettlebell substitute.... and as she swung the bag up to demonstrate it split open, potatoes flew out and one of them hit the wall hard enough to chip paint off.... hahahahahahahaha sorry but it was so funny....

LOL - this is hilarious!