Saving Calories?

Options
Hi, how does that actually work? I get that it means not eating all of your calories for e.g. during the week, so that on the weekend you can maybe go out to dinner. But I thought we were meant to eat our calories each day to maintain/lose weight?
So how does it work?
Thanks

Replies

• dreambig81
    dreambig81 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I think you definatly have to eat a min of about 1200 a day otherwise your body will think it is starving and might try clinging onto some fat but it could be if you excersize and get loads of cals from that and still eat between 12-1400 cals and save maybe 200 cals a day that you may have earned, using thos eup on the weekend?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Think in terms of averaging it out over a week, if you're under for a few days it can either translate into a slighter faster weight loss or some wiggle room for a nice meal - weight loss doesn't depend on a single day's intake.
  • wohwy
    wohwy Posts: 22
    Options
    Here's the science behind it (sorry I'm a bit of a geek)...

To lose 1 pound of fat, you need to have a deficit of 3500 calories. What MFP does is divide the 3500 calories by 7 days (giving you a 500 calorie deficit per day) so you lose 1 pound a week. So, it's okay to be below or over you daily calorie goal as long as you maintain your weekly deficit.
  • dnrjohnsey
    dnrjohnsey Posts: 10
    Options
    I needed to hear that... Thanks.. was wondering the same thing.. :smile:
  • charliecat39
    Options

To lose 1 pound of fat, you need to have a deficit of 3500 calories. What MFP does is divide the 3500 calories by 7 days (giving you a 500 calorie deficit per day) so you lose 1 pound a week. So, it's okay to be below or over you daily calorie goal as long as you maintain your weekly deficit.

Nicely Put!
  • wohwy
    wohwy Posts: 22
    Options
    I'm happy to say that all the time I've spent reading the message boards here as well as online research has allowed me to share this little tidbit of information :)
  • sweetpea7441
    sweetpea7441 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
  • rcthale
    rcthale Posts: 141
    Options
    Your plan will work. Heck, you could stretch out you calorie total to monthly if you really wanted to. The daily goal is just the easiest to keep track of. If you're keeping a weekly tally, just make sure your math is right.
  • VanillaBeanSeed
    VanillaBeanSeed Posts: 562 Member
    Options

Awesome! I dont usually "save" calories, but I often have calories left over just from not being hungry. And when you put the deficit that way, its nice to know that If I want those extra glasses of wine on the weekend its ok ;]
  • vryanz
    vryanz Posts: 49
    Options
    Here is what I do: If I have cals left over at the end of the day, I add them to my tally (that I keep on a note pad app, since MFP does not track that) If I go over, I simply subtract from my tally. That way, I always know right where I am for deficit. It keeps me sane on the days I feel I NEED to go over, I know I have the extra cals. But it also it challenges me to 'save'. It keeps me honest.