Question for runners

lisam829
lisam829 Posts: 110 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
I see so many articles about what to eat AFTER a run, but when/what should I eat before my walk/run? For example, I ate a banana at 3:00pm and plan on running at 6:30pm with 20 minutes of yoga preceding. Should I eat something again to fuel my exercise, or is it something that is different for everyone?

Replies

• paulkj
    paulkj Posts: 163 Member
    As for me, I have noticed that when I eat fruit with a little protein (like cottage cheese and a fresh nectarine) about 30-45 minutes before I work out, I have alot more endurance. Definitely stay away from heavy, high fat meals right before your exercise.
  • I personally need my system clear of food before running IF it is a speed run - I avoid eating at least 2 hours before the run, but light carbs in that meal gives me great power.

If it is an endurance run, and I'm going at a slower heart rate, I find that food does not bother me either way, and in fact, if I have not eaten (in the morning for example) and go for much more than 60 minutes, I get pretty cranky (around 90 minutes I'm ready to eat the grass!).

YES - avoid the fatty foods. I went to a kids birthday party, and mistakenly ate some potato chips (not many - about 100 cals worth) and then went running. What a gross experience!! There is a reason your body craves healthy clean foods when you are working out!!

Enjoy your runs!
    :flowerforyou:
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    I try to eat something about an hour before an endurance workout (run, bike, etc.). I often have a banana since the experts say to have carbs then. But sometimes I have a protein shake or protein bar or string cheese. I'm not particular. I just try to keep it to 100-200 calories (as that seems to work the best for me).

Afterwards, I have something with protein and carbs within about 30-60 minutes. It's supposed to help with muscle repair. If it's a short run, I drink water during, but for long runs I bring something with calories, usually Infinit sports drink.
  • sajar_06
    sajar_06 Posts: 173 Member
    I do not eat until after but I do drink a bottle of water prior. After I eat protein and drink another bottle of water. God Bless, brenda
This discussion has been closed.