Fat Belly diet ???

Options
SoupNazi
SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
I was just browsing on prevention.com and watched a short video of "The Fat Belly Diet." I have never heard of this before and found it somewhat interesting. I am ALWAYS leary of so called diet fads and don't believe much of what they say, at all. But this seemed interesting (not sure I'd ever do it...quite happy doing what I am now.) Just wondering if anyone else has heard of it and if YOU HAVE, what do you think?

Replies

• SoupNazi
    Options
    I was just browsing on prevention.com and watched a short video of "The Fat Belly Diet." I have never heard of this before and found it somewhat interesting. I am ALWAYS leary of so called diet fads and don't believe much of what they say, at all. But this seemed interesting (not sure I'd ever do it...quite happy doing what I am now.) Just wondering if anyone else has heard of it and if YOU HAVE, what do you think?
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    Options
    I just got the book...it is like anything else...I say stick with moderation, calorie intake, and exercise...JMO>

dd
  • SoupNazi
    Options
    So, obviously, you find it interesting as well...whew..I thought I was gonna get beat up for mentioning it.:smile: So, from what I could see from the short video clip, you simply add monosaturated fats to all of your meals, right?
  • AndreaMMil
    Options
    My neighbor is on it. She likes it and it seems to be working for her.
    But I just can't give up my wine... :drinker:
  • SoupNazi
    Options
    OOPS..I made a typo. It is FLAT Belly diet.
  • PammyB3130
    Options
    I just saw a segment about that on Rachel Ray the other day. I guess there's like a 4-day jumpstart period where you eat exactly what they say. They had two "regular" viewers try the program and after the 4 day period, one of them had lost 2 pounds and the other had lost 7. But the whole point is that you lose the weight in your belly and without doing any exercise. I'm really not sure how that works, since I've heard from numerous sources that you can't pick and choose where you want to lose your weight from. I'd like to read into it, but I'm pretty happy with the weight loss program we have going on here.
  • zenmama
    Options
    Beat up for mentioning it? Why?

I only skimmed through it.....but yes it does have a 4 day jump start...I can post that if you wish when I have time? Let me know.

dd
  • healthhero
    healthhero Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    This is actually what I started on a week ago and why I joined this site. I needed someplace to track my calories and keep me motivated. It is very simple actually. Keep it to about 1600 calories a day and make sure you have some type of monosaturated fat with all your meals. Nuts, olive oils, avocado, even chocolate! My belly is the only place I need to lose so that is what sparked my interest. Lost 3 pounds so far so I'm going to keep at it.
  • zenmama
    Options
    Thank you helath hero...maybe I can read a little more in between my nursing bog down...

dd
  • zenmama
    Options
    Ok you can go here to d the flat belly
    www.flatbellydiet.com

menu plans
    grocery lists etc...

goodluck

dd
  • jjcoop2003
    Options
    Can someone give us an idea what this is about? It seems like the website is very non specific. So you eat a MUFA at every meal? And Mufa's are avocados, almonds, walnuts and peanut butter (and I think some others)? Is this the extent of the diet?
  • hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I saw this lady on rachael ray the other day. Pretty much all she said was that you eat these mufas at each meal stay within a set amount of calories and you will lose inches in your belly but also all over. She had 2 audience members try the diet for the first 4 days and I think (not sure) one lost 2lbs and the other lost 6. Don't know too much more about it. But doesn't really sound like something I would be in to.
  • NurseBarb
    NurseBarb Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    This is actually what I started on a week ago and why I joined this site. I needed someplace to track my calories and keep me motivated. It is very simple actually. Keep it to about 1600 calories a day and make sure you have some type of monosaturated fat with all your meals. Nuts, olive oils, avocado, even chocolate! My belly is the only place I need to lose so that is what sparked my interest. Lost 3 pounds so far so I'm going to keep at it.

That's interesting because I've never heard of this and yet I'm kind of doing that anyways. I can honestly say that with almost every meal I have one of those 4 things.... hmmmm
  • zenmama
    Options
    You add a MUFA at every meal.....and you keep each meal at 400 cal.....that is about it on top of what most of us are doing on this site already.....

dd
  • jjcoop2003
    Options
    So is there a list of Mufa's somewhere?
  • healthhero
    Options
    I got the info from the most recent Prevention magazine. The five MUFA 's are 1) a healthy oil such as olive, sunflower or flax 2) nuts or seeds 3) avocado 4) olives and 5) dark chocolate. Just add one of those to every meal and limit to 1600 calories. They say you can do this without exercise but I think exercise is important for everyone.
    Also, I heard there was a 4 day jump start program but it is not detailed in the magazine. I tried to sign up on the "free" Flat Belly website but you have to buy the book to join for "free". That is why I decided to join this website instead.
    They also mentioned something on the website about "sassy" water. I'm not sure what that is but I think you add some things to water to help detox your body. Maybe someone else out there knows....

I think this link will take you to Preventions website and article:

http://www.prevention.com/cda/article/meet-the-5-flat-belly-foods/bea4682e373c6110VgnVCM10000013281eac____/weight.loss/flat.belly.diet/flat.belly.diet.food/0/0/2

Hopefully, I did that right. If not, sorry!!
  • jjcoop2003
    Options
    Thanks!!! That was very helpful. Maybe I will have to add one of those in to every meal. Guess it couldn't hurt huh?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,045 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • twinightash
    Options
    I must have missed this topic but I was looking into this earlier today and came across a posting from someone currently on the diet. It's basically the four-day jump start from the Flat Belly Diet book.

1st four days: 1200 cal per day

Day 1 Breakfast: 1 c unsweetened cornflakes, 1c skim milk, 1/2 c unsweetened applesauce, 1/2 c raw or roasted sunflower seeds, 1 glass sassy water:

Lunch: 4 oz turkey*, 1 light string cheese,1 pt fresh grape tomatoes, glass of sassy water: Smoothie: 1c skim milk,1 c frozen unsw blueberries blended then add 1 Tbsp cold pressed organic flaxseed oil:

Dinner: 1 c fresh/frozen cooked green beans, 4 oz grilled/cooked tilapia(fish) 1/2c roasted red potatoes drizzled with 1 tsp olive oil. (*they called for Applegate Farms Antibiotic-free Honey Maple Turkey - which I couldn't find, so I bought just regular lo fat turkey, even ate piece of broiled turkey cutlet one day)

Day 2: 1 c Rice Krisipies, 1 c skim milk, 1/4 c sunflower seeds, 4 oz pineapple tidbits canned in juice, glass of sassy water:

Lunch: 3 oz light tuna in water, 1 c steamed baby carrots, 1 light string cheese, water: Smoothie: 1 c skim milk, 4 oz canned pineapple tidbits in juice in blender, stir in 1 tbsp flax oil:

Dinner: 1 c fresh crimini (bella) mushrooms sauteed in 1 tsp olive oil, 3 oz grilled chicken breast, 1/2 c brown rice, water

Day 3: Breakfast - same as day one except for 2 Tbsp raisins instead of applesauce,

Lunch: same as day 1, smoothie: use 1 c frozen peaches w/ 2 tsp flax oil:

dinner: same as day 1 except for 3oz baked turkey cutlet instead of fish:

Day 4: 1 pkg instant cream of wheat/1 c skim milk/ 1/4 c sunflower seeds/2 dried plums:

lunch same as day 1, smoothie use 1 c frozen strawberries/2 tsp flax oil:

Dinner: 1 c fresh/frozen yellow squash sauteed iin 1 tsp olive oil, 3 oz grilled chicken breast, 1/2 c brown rice, water. So there are the 4 first days!!

After the 4th day your calories go to 1400 -400 per meal and 1 snack of 400, but you HAVE to include MUFA-monounsaturated fat with each meal (1/4c sunflower seeds, 2 TBSP almonds, 1 TBSP olive oil, etc) there is an extensive list of MUFA's and measurements/calories. During 4 days you also must avoid coffee, any soft drink, sweeteners, salt, excess carbs, bulky raw food, gassy foods, gum, fried foods, spicy foods. Also walk 5 minutes after each meal. I believe they mean for you to continue the sassy water, I am. Makes the water much tastier and the ingredients are good for you.

Here's the recipe for Sassy Water:

2 liters water (about 8 1/2 cups)
    1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
    1 medium cucumber. peeled and thinly sliced
    1 medium lemon thinly sliced
    12 small spearmint leaves

Combine all ingredients in a large pitcher and let flavors blend overnight. You are to drink the entire pitcher over the course of a day.

The next 4 weeks you are given meal guides, eating out guide, recipes. Alot of the suggested ingredients are health-food type but the most important is the MUFA. Better go and do my walking. Good luck
  • healthhero
    Options
    thanks for the input! I was wondering what that Sassy water was all about....