Looking for a few "older" friends

Options
otrlynn
otrlynn Posts: 278 Member
I'm nearing the big 6-oh at the beginning of August. I lost about 11 pounds about a year ago using MFP, but I let most of it creep back on over the course of the year. I'm back to logging in and would like to find a couple of friends. I hate to "exercise" for its own sake, and have never been able to keep up with going to a gym for any length of time. I do like to walk, and that's may main form of exercise, along with doing some gardening and yard work when the season is right. I'd like to lose another 10 pounds, and keep it off! Lynn

Replies

• wannagetfit02
    wannagetfit02 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You can friend me if you like. I am 55, have had cancer and survived. I really want to lose weight to be more healthy and have more energy. I joined a gym and did not go at first. I am making an appt with myself 5 days a week to go to the gym. I cannot do everything that the others do, but I am getting better. My stamina has improved some.....I say that because when I come home from the gym I usually need to take a nap. LOL
  • janrarey
    janrarey Posts: 10
    Options
    You can friend me. I just started and posted looking for friends that are post menopausal.

I would love to have people that are of my age and understand the limits and changes that we incounter.

Jan
  • DrewLundgren
    DrewLundgren Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Anyone can feel free to send me a friend request. I'll be 58 near year-end, so I suppose I could be classified as "older" as much much as I don't feel like it. So, add me!
  • Tallblondechick
    Options
    Is 52 considered old to an almost 60 yr old? I can be friends with any age of people but I do understand the feeling of trying to keep up with the 20 -30 somethings.....I am looking for friends too....Although I cannot be on here all day I do try to keep up with it. I may not be able to support and comment 24/7 but do like the friendship it brings. Feel free to add me.
  • dlinksews
    dlinksews Posts: 1
    Options
    I think I qualify as "older"......I'm 69 for 5 more months. Have arthritis in my knees so want to lose 25 pounds to take the weight off the knees. Have been walking for 15 - 20 minutes segments using a pedometer. Yesterday I reached the 2 mile number and would like to get 3 miles in at least 4 days a week. Is any one else interested in a walking program along with a reduced calorie food plan? diet
  • sheila569
    sheila569 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I'm a few years younger than you (43) but would welcome the friend request. Age is just a number right :tongue: Ok, don't smack me :laugh:
  • cathbat64
    cathbat64 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi, I'm 64, Polio Survivor, so I sit a lot. and have been getting plump for awhile. LOL Love to be friends with you and have no idea how to do that yet. I'll try and get that figured out. It's my first day here. Loving it already!
    hugs
  • Jodibear58
    Jodibear58 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    feel free to friend me. I am 54 :)
  • Mischel59
    Mischel59 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am nearing the big 6 OH(no) myself! I have ataxia (balance issues) and RSD. I refuse to give in to my challenges and decided to loose the weight I have put on since retirement. I too abhor exercise but I know I have to incorporate it into my life in order to shed the lbs! So far, I'm down 13 lbs and feeling super motivated! WE CAN DO THIS! I find that motivation is the key. We can keep each other motivated during this journey :) feel free to friend me if you like!
  • Wintertexan97
    Wintertexan97 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Anyone...feel free to friend me....do really like MFP...have only been on for 12 days...but I feel it is working for me. Would like a few more "older" friends. I'm a young 70 and still have a lot of living to do!
  • 608peg
    608peg Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Feel free to friend me..definitely looking for friends in the 60+ age group. By the way I am 64 but don't act like it!!!
  • TRIPLESEC
    TRIPLESEC Posts: 11
    Options
    I just turned 64 last month. I'll be glad to be one of your friends. I joined MFP Oct 2011 and have lost 19 pounds. Its not much but at least I haven't gained.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Feel free to friend me, y'all .....

I'm 60 .... three years ago I lost 40 lbs following a basic South Beach way of eating ..... at the time the only exercise I did was walking ......

Now I'm here tweaking my meals & calorie-counting to lose a few more pounds ...... and going to the gym 5-6 days a week as well ..... who knew :drinker:

Best of luck, everyone !
  • AHealthierMe63
    Options
    Hi there. I, too, am a post polio survivor. I am 63 and like you spend a lot of time sitting. I have worn a long leg brace all my life and have walked with crutches for the past 5 years. Now I have gotten on a food supplement (they say I can't say what it is) and have been using it since March 3. I am down 25 pounds since then. My triglicerides are down 100 points and my liver enzymes are down 20 points. But, I can now walk without my crutches!!!!! We just got a small dog and I can actually walk him without having to use crutches. So, it is getting me out of my chair, out of the house, away from my computer, and doing a little exercise.

I just heard about this site so am really excited to use it. I have kind of plateaued and need some extra incentive. Thanks, Carla H, for telling me about it.

Hope to hear back from any other post polio survivors. I was stricken at age 7 months so have never known anything else. Just need to get moving and get several more pounds gone.

Jean in Tennessee
  • cloh72
    Options
    otrlynn, feel free to add me. I am 57, end of the year I will be 58. I try to stay active with exercise, I do senior aerobics, line dancing and water aerobics..this is all free for seniors in our area. I have started doing Zumba gold and loved it so much I became a licensed zumba instructor now needing to get licensed in the gold for the seniors...I started my journey at 197.5 and now weigh I71.25...wanting to lose 21.25 more lbs and just kinda being careful of what I eat and not on a strict diet or anything. So far it is working for me. I am not able to get on much but have tried to post a little. Haven't been a member here long...
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I would love to be an ispiration to the "older" crowd. I am soon to be 56 years. Two years ago I could barely walk thru the door at the gym, I had high blood pressure, newly diagnosed diabetes, and just felt tired all the time and it depressed me. Today.... I have lost over 180 lbs,am free of all meds, I RUN 5-7 miles everyday, and feel better than I have ever felt in my entire life. The answer is diet, execise, and sheer determination powered by the strength of my Creator.
  • psv1012
    psv1012 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I am going to be 56 in October, I started on MFP about 4 weeks ago,I am Deabetic (newly diagnost) so I am learning how to eat and live a healthier life style. Feel free to friend me, we can never have too many friends for support .:flowerforyou:
  • Lazygal53
    Lazygal53 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    62 here and i've been a member for about 6 months now. Lost 29lbs before finding MFP. Lost another 6lbs so far. I have no real ailments except high BP and have been able to cut medication in half from the weight loss alone. (feeling blessed here) I do interval cardio training on the treadmill (80% zone) for 20 minutes 4 times a week. I've not felt the need to friend anyone so far but maybe I should start? Can't hurt right???? :wink:
  • rhondaoberling
    Options
    Hi Lynn, I am 52 so if I qualify please add me. I was recently diagnosed with diabetes so, I am fairly new to this site and would like to meet new people around my age group too! :flowerforyou:
  • conure2
    conure2 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I am 53 years old and from Austin, Texas. Been on MFP since June. I have about 60 lbs to lose, so I am here for the long haul :) Any of you are welcome to add me as a friend.

Thanks, Linda