under desk bike

Options
so i got an exercise bike for under my desk at work, and while my desk is too short for it to be comfortable without pushing my chair way out, it's kind of cool. i have a job where i can shut my office door as i please and not be disturbed, so no big deal. i just can't really "work" while using it. watching netflix or hulu will be fine though!

has anybody used one of these? it does have a calorie counter, speed, reps and time. i don't know how accurate it is, but it does seem to get my heart going a little. more so than it would if i was just sitting here like a lump and scarfing chips and cookies.

Replies

• CaptainHandsome
    CaptainHandsome Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    im feeling terribly ignored :(
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Interesting - I had never heard of such a thing. So you sit in the chair and pedal it, similar to a recumbent stationary bike?
  • nlwilliamson
    nlwilliamson Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I wish I had one of those!
  • CaptainHandsome
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002VWJYSE/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

they're pretty cheap, and there's a few cheaper than this one with no display counter.
  • nlwilliamson
    nlwilliamson Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    awesome.. I just might get one :)
  • tajour
    tajour Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Does it require that the chair you're sitting in be stationary (not the wonderful twirl around full circle chairs, iow)?
  • CaptainHandsome
    Options
    Does it require that the chair you're sitting in be stationary (not the wonderful twirl around full circle chairs, iow)?

well i'm in an office chair so its got wheels and it spins and rocks and all that, but i'm on carpet so it's not too hard to keep stable. you wouldn't be able to do it if you had wheels on a tile floor though probably, unless you help onto your desk with your hands!
  • ryanallenmoore
    Options
    I use a FitDesk workstation. It doesn't fit under my desk but is small and folds up. I work on it for a few 30-40 min sessions each day. Check it out on Amazon, has a 30 day return policy.
  • jenjam27
    jenjam27 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Now I'm curious...can you get your heart rate up?
  • beaner1st
    beaner1st Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    How tall would your desk have to be to be able to operate it keeping it under the desk?
  • ryanallenmoore
    Options
    I use a Fitbit to track my movement and I get a huge spike when I am on fitdesk instead of regular chair.
  • ryanallenmoore
    Options
    I measured and it is around 49" to the top. Would have to be a tall desk to fit under. I have my IMac up on the top tier of my desk and I use my wireless mouse and keyboard on the FitDesk surface.
  • ryanallenmoore
    Options
    Yes, It does get your heart rate up depending on what resistance setting and how fast you pedal. I use my road bike on a trainer if I want to get a serious spin session. The FitDesk is more for lower intensity/longer duration movement while I do computer work. Time fly's by.
  • cathyderick
    Options
    I just got one of those "bikes." You can also put them on a table/desk and exercise your arms! There are really flimsy ones that don't work well and there are electric ones. Not sure why you would want electric because that seems to take away the exercise part. I got mine through www.ginnys.com for $99. It is sturdy and when I checked the calories burned against the My Fitness pal counter is was approximately the same - maybe a five calorie difference. The thing I don't like is it gives the distance in meters. It does raise my heart rate and I use it at home while watching tv so as not to be a total couch potato, and to get in a little extra exercise.
  • eclipsechick33
    eclipsechick33 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    That is neat. Probably better (and cheaper) than the tradmill desk. I'm new to both these ideas and thinking about trying them out. Anyone try both?