Lower Abs

Options
So I've been working out and have a strong focus on my abs. Finally I'm starting to actually see upper abs on myself and side ab definition, but I don't have any lower abs! I need effective workouts that specifically target my lower abs. I know some, like leg raises and other exercises involving leg movements and also planks, but they don't seem to be doing anything for my lower abs! Any suggestions?

Replies

• chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Lower abs are really hard to get to show.

The leg raises etc do hit them, but in general, situps and things won't help make your abs show any more.

It's all about body fat %age and I think in most people (certainly in me) fat starts getting stored at the bottom of my stomach first, covering the lower abdominals. In the same way, it's also the last to be lost.

You can do ab work with heavy weights to increase the size of your abs, but no matter what you do - unless you get to really quite a low body fat %age they just won't show.
  • kmdancer92
    kmdancer92 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Okay, thanks for the advice!
  • teez52
    teez52 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Stick with your diet, lose bodyfat and your abs will appear. It's that simple, no amount of crunches/leg lifts/situps/etc. will give you "abs", you make abs in the kitchen.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Abs are made in the kitchen.

Just like any other muscle, they aren't going to get bigger unless you are in a calorie surplus. However abs really don't hypertrophy very much. For the most part, if you want to see them you have to expose them (get slimmer).
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    The fact that you lower abs aren't showing has little to do with the muscle underneath and more to do with the fat on top. It's often one of the very last places we lose fat and sometimes cannot be achieved while maintaining essential body fat levels.

I'm happy with my upper abs and slight side ab definition. If the lower abs never show, that's fine.
  • kmdancer92
    Options
    I mean, its not like I want a four pack. In my opinion, that doesn't even look that good on a girl. Just looking for a little more definition!
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I don't buy into "the abs are made in the kitchen" mentality (better is perhaps "abs are made by reducing bodyfat") but a consistent (modest) caloric deficit will allow you to shed bodyfat and expose your abs--that being said, I always feel like I hey more progress when I'm training my abs with targeted exercises--the area does get more firm and I just FEEL better
  • sportsforfun
    sportsforfun Posts: 353
    Options
    In reality, there is no distinction between the upper ab muscle and the lower ab muscle, they are all one muscle. The lower abs are usually the last to show as that is where the most fat is stored. Keep working on reducing bf% and it will eventually show.
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    My abs are awesome - I've got them from compound exercises, squats deadlifts etc.I can feel them when I'm chilling on the sofa

they look shi t tho cos I've got too much fat for bulking/poor self control

Abs are ALL about fat - I've seen
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I don't buy into "the abs are made in the kitchen" mentality (better is perhaps "abs are made by reducing bodyfat") but a consistent (modest)

That's pretty much what it means though - if you're over eating, no amount of situps will make your abs show...
  • HeavyLiftGirl
    HeavyLiftGirl Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I thought it was because I had two kids. My upper abs are really nice, but below the belly button...BLAH.
    However-- after I had my first child, I made myself do 20 minutes of ab exercises every day. This includes: planks, leg lifts, bicycle crunches, etc. After that, I had my lower abs and they were awesome. I do a lot of the exercises Jillian Michael's recommends.
    I am starting that up again this weekend, and will do it every day.
  • to_the_surface
    Options
    Genetics for most people dictate where fat reserves are stored in the body. Some bodies favor thighs, some others mid section, etc. Same applies when losing such fat stores, people lose measurements first/fastest in certain parts of the body and last/slowest in others. It just varies.

Best shot at having lower abs showing is lowering your body fat.
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Abs split during pregnancy for birth. I guess you need to target this in a specific way
  • Jenism1
    Jenism1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Have you done reverse crunches? Bring your feet up off the floor and bend your legs at 90 degree angle and then think of just lifting your hips off the floor. No rocking back and forth, just a nice steady controlled lift. You may not get your hips off the floor very high, it is just a small movement.

Just to answer your question about how to target those lower abs! I know all about the fat layer on top...trust me..I have a six pack...you just can't see it!!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Good for you, I'm having a hard time getting that last little layer of fat off my upper ab's. For lower ab's I like hanging leg raises. But as others have mentioned, the diet will dictate your ab definition.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Same for me. My upper abs are a lot... harder? than my lower abs. The only ab exercises I do are planks and hanging knee raises... I don't think there is much I can do though except eat less.
  • kmdancer92
    Options
    haha, thanks...I will try that exercise!