Grip failing

Options
2»

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I gave it a shot, and actually PR'd in deads today.

BAM! :drinker:
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    i use a mixed grip. left over/right under. should i alternate them to avoid any minor imbalance?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    i use a mixed grip. left over/right under. should i alternate them to avoid any minor imbalance?

in an ideal world, i think you should. though i don't think it makes too much of a difference. i never do, but that's mostly because i can barely think straight by the time i'm on that last working set.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options

in an ideal world, i think you should. though i don't think it makes too much of a difference. i never do, but that's mostly because i can barely think straight by the time i'm on that last working set.

lol true.
  • RunningDirty
    RunningDirty Posts: 293
    Options
    There actually are exercises you can do to improve your grip. I just did this exercise in class today since we're working on grip strength:

Single Arm Wrist Curls (3x25) and then the same, but pronated (3x25).

This guy is doing pronated, so to do the reverse, just reverse it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kredtwbHk7g

I did it with my arms on the bench though, not on my leg.

Then when you're done walk around carrying dumbbells until your grip fails over and over again. Your forearms, hands, and fingers will be very numb when finished (called hex dumbbell hold, but we walked and held simultaneously).

Also, consider purchasing fat grips if your gym doesn't have them or if they don't have fat bars.

Hope this helps!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Something that helped me a lot was grabbing the bar correctly. Rip demonstrates why it's important:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTqNSgCmM2s

Having said that, even with chalk I've been struggling a little bit too. Been trying to keep hook grip for as long as possible but think I'm gonna start with mixed next week. I'm using a brand new Olympic bar too which doesn't help (super sharp knurling)
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    This was basically the answer. I just needed to sack up and stop being such a crybaby. I gave it a shot, and actually PR'd in deads today. My shrugs sucked, but whatever.

Nice dude! Yeah, shrugs will definitely suffer on DL day because those muscles already get hit hard with the DL.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    This was basically the answer. I just needed to sack up and stop being such a crybaby. I gave it a shot, and actually PR'd in deads today. My shrugs sucked, but whatever.

Nice dude! Yeah, shrugs will definitely suffer on DL day because those muscles already get hit hard with the DL.

That's a good point. I'd move shrugs to a different day when you don't do DLs. You use the traps in a very similar way with DLs, seems a bit overkill.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    mixed grip. you'll be amazed what a marked difference it makes.

I've been using a mixed grip, but the bar still slides down to my fingers

hmm. what if you started out with the bar at your fingers in the first place. would it stay put there? the sliding down of the bar is what's painful, and what chalk helps with. you're supposed to make hooks with your fingers and the bar rests in the hook. i think a lot of people's instinct might be to try to hold the bar up higher in the palm. (perhaps i've misunderstood your situation though)
    This. You want to hold it in a position where it cannot possibly slide, or you will destroy your hands. Also, chalk, or some non-marking substitute if your gym doesn't allow it (there are several options out there, haven't tried any personally).

Do weighted chins if you aren't already. If you need further grip training, Captains of Crush are amazing.

For deads, I use double-overhand as much as I can, and switch to mixed when my grip starts to fail.