Log food BEFORE you eat it?

Options

Replies

• anballew
    anballew Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I always do this! Especially if i'm tempted to eat something I shouldn't. I don't know the calories of everything so if I enter it before I eat it and see how much it is I def won't let myself eat it then!
  • BryGuy2
    BryGuy2 Posts: 244
    Options
    I like to log mine right at the beginning of the day, that way i'm motivated to stick to that for the day. But i'm at a computer all day so I can change it anytime I need to haha!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I 'pre-log' a lot!! I find it's really helpful for staying on track and avoiding 'surprises'. If I know how many calories I'm going to eat that day there's no guess work on if I can fit in that donut that somebody brought to work!!
  • Telugammayi87
    Telugammayi87 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I always plan out my day the night before (or at least try) because it helps me stay on track and I know where/if I can add a little "extra" :)
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I do that too, and sometimes a day in advance. It helps me stay on track as far as my macros are concerned.
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I do it, that way I know ahead of time how much I can eat and how many calories are in it. It's just easier that way.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I sometimes do - mostly if I'm getting my evening meal or whatever prepared in advance
  • llpleslie
    llpleslie Posts: 53
    Options
    I'm right there with a lot of you, I log in my food the night before it keeps me on track and from cheating. How many people are as anal as I am. I break down my food , example if I eat a tuna melt I count everything seperately down to the TB of relish, mayo the half an egg, tuna, chz & bread. My husband thinks I am crazy.
  • davidr730
    davidr730 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Nutritionists will commonly tell you to log AFTER eating so you can log what you actually consumed. I think it's more accurate that way.
  • mielchat
    mielchat Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I do this! I log my meals beforehand and add any extra's as I go, it helps to keep you on track like you said.
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Nutritionists will commonly tell you to log AFTER eating so you can log what you actually consumed. I think it's more accurate that way.
    If you measure everything that you will eat and stick to that, it's a non-issue. Anyone counting calories should be measuring anyway so they can be sure it's accurate. If you decide you're hungry and go back for seconds you can easily add those in later.
    ETA: Unless you're talking about if you log more than you actually end up eating. In which case, if it's a big difference I go back and edit, if it's a little difference, I leave it and hope it balances out any accidental miscalculations on my part.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    "Write it before you bite it" :)

Definitely, I'm most successful when I do this.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options

If you log it, and measure the food you eat - and only eat that food - this is a non-issue.
  • 17ChargerGirl17
    Options
    I always do my diary in the morning and then I stick with it.
    Just easier for me.
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    Im doing that, I havent eaten lunch yet, but I logged it already. (My food diary is public btw)
    I think its a good idea, because it motivates me to eat only what I log, and stay on track better.

ALWAYS!!! I always do this! I know i can change it if i want to or need to, but having it logged REALLY helps me to stay on track! I also cook at home for my family, so meal planning is AWESOME! Keeps me from having that last minute "whats for supper" which will most likely make me go over calories!!
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Yep, I try to log everything that I know about at the beginning of my day. That includes the afternoon snacks I bring to work, the protein shake I have at night before bed, any lunch I bring to work. This way I know how many calories I have left for dinner and snacks, so that I can my goal and macros for the day.

Doing this also helps you plan out serving sizes for food so it meets your calorie and macro goals.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I do this too. Usually when I log my lunch after I eat, I log dinner too. Then if something is different, I go back and change it :)
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I do this too! I like to make sure I'm not going to go over my limit. I meal plan anyway so it really works for me.
  • MogwaisGrandma
    MogwaisGrandma Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I try and log my Monday to Friday food on a Sunday evening as I do my shopping on a Monday and can write a list.
    My calories are usually over by about 100 but that is because I am training the 5 weekdays a week so I know I will get them back on the burn.

Weekends I need to be a bit more fluid but I still log it in the morning
  • erikapereira
    erikapereira Posts: 196
    Options
    I do it too