Hi from Orlando and I'm new to My Fitness Pal

Options
I'm Jim, 72 yrs young, married 46 yrs to the same sweetie. We have two children a son and daughter and three grand children with the youngest being our 2 yr old granddaughter.
At 5'7" I started getting sick and tired of looking like an over inflated blimp. I couldn't figure out how I kept gaining weight since I'm not a large eater and I've been doing 35min 2mil walks every morning for 20 years and yet I've still been putting it on. NO MORE.....I out at 180 about 6 weeks ago with a goal of 150 by my birathday on Aug 31st.
I've cut down to 1400 cal's a day (I think), still do the daily walk 169 cal's and have added a 35 minute season on my Octaine seated elliptical trainer (A KILLER) and according to it I burn around 275 cal for a total of over 400 cal's a day. This morning I weighted in at 159.6 lb.
Note: I try to stay within my heart rate zone of 135-140 bpm.
Now for your help/ I ran across My Fitness Pal on YouTube and was impressed with the positive reviews so I downloaded it on my iPad. However, I need some help understanding how it functions. If there are any of you kind sjjouls out there that would be willing to of through setting it up with me I can't tell you how much I'd appreciate it.
Thanks in advance,
Jim