Food in different countries?

Options
Pohudet
Pohudet Posts: 179 Member
Just spent 3 weeks in Russia and was happy to see that i did not gain any weight.
I ate all the good foods on the cruise, at breakfast would take a second or third croisssant, in addition, in addition cold cuts or eggs; had wine and dessert with both lunch and dinner and had cookies in between meals with coffee. Stayin at the hotel in moscow,i ate icecream or dessert with coffee between meals, had beer with lunch and dinner.
If I were eating like that at home in the states, i would have put in 10 pounds at least?
What is it? What is different about the food?

Replies

• Pohudet
    Options
    Maybe it is all the corn syrop?
  • Brittalicious
    Options
    Did you do more walking than usual? When I went to Romania, I ate whatever I wanted but lost 10 pounds in two weeks. I think it was all the walking...!
  • mummyzena
    mummyzena Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Also portion size.
  • annieu613
    annieu613 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Were you walking around a lot? I found that when I went on a tour in Europe I ate and drank a ton, but I didn't gain/lose because we were walking constantly.
  • weeblex
    weeblex Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Why were you there, I am far more active on vacation than I ever am at home. At home I have to drive to the store, in Europe its a quick stroll down the street, makes a big difference.
  • carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Yup, we’ve got it pretty well covered. Portion sizes, extra activity and I do believe ingredients have something to do with it.

I was just on a 2-week vacation in the UK and Iceland and I had wine or beer nearly every, dessert every day, indulged in chocolates & treats and drank sugared sodas. My food choices were somewhat similar to home (in smaller portions) but I had all of the above treats on top of my normal meals. I walked everywhere (and biked one of the days) and as of yesterday (a week after my return) I was only 1.6 pounds more than before I left. I’m already back in losing mode and I didn’t gain much at all.
  • Pohudet
    Options
    I did walk a lot. On the other hand, i did not go to the gym! At home, i go to the gym 6 days a week, sometimes both at lunch and after work.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I just spent a few days in Germany and found that portion sizes there were much smaller, and so even though I ate the same amount of times as I would here, it was much less food consumed overall. Coupled with the fact that everything was in walking distance, I was able to walk there instead of drive.

I came back home and lost 1.6 lbs. :D
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Maybe it was made from real food. You know, stuff that comes out of the ground or off trees or dead animals or out of chicken's bums. In America everything comes out of Dexter's lab.
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    Maybe it was made from real food. You know, stuff that comes out of the ground or off trees or dead animals or out of chicken's bums. In America everything comes out of Dexter's lab.

Laugh...out loud!

Tee hee
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I agree that we have huge portion sizes, food quality is poor, and we could use way more activity. However, it is always pointed how we drive everywhere and never walk or bike. I would love to walk or bike everywhere if I could. In most European towns things are concentrated. Stores are closer. Work is closer. I've been to several countries and have noticed this. Either that or there is just not enough room for all the traffic. Most bike, walk, or take public transportation. At least in my area, public transportation is very poor. It takes 3x as long to get anywhere because routes are very limited. Here, our towns/cities, houses, stores etc are much more spread out (typically). For example, I work 25 miles from my home. Am I gonna walk 50 miles everyday to work and back? No, that is nonsense.

Not trying to argue with anyone about how we don't get enough activity. Just pointing out one of the many factors why.
  • carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I agree that we have huge portion sizes, food quality is poor, and we could use way more activity. However, it is always pointed how we drive everywhere and never walk or bike. I would love to walk or bike everywhere if I could. In most European towns things are concentrated. Stores are closer. Work is closer. I've been to several countries and have noticed this. Either that or there is just not enough room for all the traffic. Most bike, walk, or take public transportation. At least in my area, public transportation is very poor. It takes 3x as long to get anywhere because routes are very limited. Here, our towns/cities, houses, stores etc are much more spread out (typically). For example, I work 25 miles from my home. Am I gonna walk 50 miles everyday to work and back? No, that is nonsense.

Not trying to argue with anyone about how we don't get enough activity. Just pointing out one of the many factors why.

Absolutely. I think that's one thing folks who aren't from the US don't get until they visit here. We have soooooo much space! Everything is far apart and we keep spreading further.

I live in a city where I'm able to live without a car - I walk, bike or take public transportation everywhere - but I'm one of the lucky few. And if I ever took a job outside of the downtown area that would no longer be possible.

A few US cities are set up to workout OK this way like Chicago and New York but most of america can't get around without a car.
  • sheclimbsrocks
    sheclimbsrocks Posts: 110 Member
    Options

This is true! I just got back from 2 weeks in Thailand where I ate fresh veggies / fruit and really basic 'food'. My stomach was so happy. Now I am back home and my stomach is in shock.
  • Pohudet
    Options
    So in Thailand, did you have all those wonderful Thai curries and soups with coconut milk? I love the taste but try to avoid them because of the calories. But maybe it is just the American way of cooking Thai food?
  • Munchkinated
    Options
    I live in Dubai and if you decide to come here, you'll probably gain so much weight. It's so hard to be able to resist.
    I spent a few days in Turkey and lost so much weight. Guess it's because you have to walk a lot.
  • konerusp
    konerusp Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I am from India,i live in california now,everytime i visit home i lose atleast 10 pounds.I think the portions sizes are bigger here in America and also the foods are calorie dense(ie richer).I was in Paris and Italy for a week,even then i did not gain weight,i ate tons of pastries and breads there.One more factor can be the temperature,in warmer temperatures over the day we burn a few extra calories-not a substantial amount but it does add up over a period of time.
  • Pohudet
    Options
    Ah yes! The last week in Moscow it was 80 F every day (30 C)! LOL, when I cam home to California, it's been 60-64...