Does exercise really matter?

Options
Sounds like a stupid & controversial topic, doesn't it?

What I mean to say is....

#1 - If you stay under your calories just by eating
VS.
#2 - If you eat over your calories and then do exercise to burn off extra calories

And the end of the day you end up with the same # of net calories.

Is the #2 option going to make you lose weight faster? Any other advantages?

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    both options should have you lose weight at the same rate, the difference being #2 will make you much more healthy, and if #2 consists of strength training then a higher % of your loss will be from fat, not lean mass (some of which would be muscle)

In summary, you will lose weight just as fast based on deficit, but will be a lower BF% and be much more athletic and healthy if you exercise (including strength training)
  • raerae514
    raerae514 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    both options should have you lose weight at the same rate, the difference being #2 will make you much more healthy, and if #2 consists of strength training then a higher % of your loss will be from fat, not lean mass (some of which would be muscle)

In summary, you will lose weight just as fast based on deficit, but will be a lower BF% and be much more athletic and healthy if you exercise (including strength training)

You're so smart! I love everything you post, lol :) Thanks!
  • DebraKing52
    Options
    I believe exercise REALLY does help. I try to stay under or close to my calorie goal, then use exercise to get my net calories way down. I've been able to lose weight this way (36 pounds in 5 months) when I hadn't been able to lose weight for years and years. It seems to be a combination of MFP motivation, being very careful of my calories, eating lots of veggies, and exercising every single day. Hope this helps! And, God bless! :smile:
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Exercise builds muscles that burn more calories even at rest.

PS, I am sure the shakeweight in your pic gives you a great workout(just kidding).
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options

^^^this^^^....plus, you will look great.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Besides actually being healthful, exercise just makes me feel really good. That is worth a lot.
  • jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    You can be skinny but unhealthy...so yes it does matter. If you sole goal is to lose weight and do not care about the state of your health than it does not.
  • erickirb
    Options
    I believe exercise REALLY does help. I try to stay under or close to my calorie goal, then use exercise to get my net calories way down. I've been able to lose weight this way (36 pounds in 5 months) when I hadn't been able to lose weight for years and years. It seems to be a combination of MFP motivation, being very careful of my calories, eating lots of veggies, and exercising every single day. Hope this helps! And, God bless! :smile:

Your net cals should not be that low, they should = your MFP goal before adding exercise. Not fueling your body enough can lead to a loss of a large % of lean muscle, as you will not be getting the fuel the muscles need to rebuild.
  • GC_Hutson
    GC_Hutson Posts: 83
    Options
    Questioning the need for exercise vs only focusing on caloric intake, is like saying you could "loose 80 pounds overnight," by simply cutting-off both of your legs with a chainsaw...
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    All depends on context and how you are framing the question. If you are simply asking in the context of weight loss, then exercise doesn't matter. Only a calorie deficit matters - and quite frankly, that's easier to achieve by eating less.

If the question is in the context of what is more healthy for someone trying to get fit, then exercise matters. But there are still a lot of variables from the kind of food that comprises your calories, to the types exercises you're doing and the frequency and resistance involved.

If the the questions could be answered simply and taken at face value by lots of people, we'd have a multimillion dollar industry of weight loss gadgets and supplements. :huh:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    You'll lose weight either way, but you'll *look* like you lost more if you get regular exercise.

Eating very little, and being fairly active but not really exercising, I was a size 8 the last time I was 130 pounds a few years ago.

This times around, I'm a size 2 or 4 at about 135 pounds, eating a good amount of food and getting regular exercise.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/494091-i-just-don-t-care-anymore
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I try and not eat back exercise calories, but I'm only at 1400, so it's kind of hard at this point, just starting out, to not do that. Though some days I burn over 400 or 500 calories, and I don't eat that much back (except yesterday, I was a naughty girl). I also can't attest to weight loss either because I haven't lost anything yet. I stay under my calorie goal every day though. Anyway, personally I think that exercising is healthier than just staying under calories.
  • chrystee
    chrystee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Totally helps.. If I work out 90 minutes after work, by the time I get home, feed/bathe my kid, clean up, etc.. I barely have time for food. I used to graze ALL night.. not only that, but I'm smaller at the weight I am, then when I wasn't working out. People compliment me now and say they see a big difference even though I haven't really lost anything for a couple months.
  • raerae514
    Options
    Questioning the need for exercise vs only focusing on caloric intake, is like saying you could "loose 80 pounds overnight," by simply cutting-off both of your legs with a chainsaw...

I never thought of THAT!! Ya got a chainsaw I could use for a sec? I'll clean it I swear.. hahaha :heart:

The whole body fat % never crossed my mind, actually yesterday I was reading about people who are the same weight but with different % body fats... And I would DEFINITELY like to have a lower BF% than... I believe the 27-something I am now...
  • iLose2Gain
    iLose2Gain Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    It is possible to lose the weight b/c they say 80% is diet but exercise helps give you the body you want! I was 145 in college & still had a huge stomach (for my size). Exercise not only helps you look great but has many other benefits such as releasing brain chemicals that improves your mood, memory and learning. It also helps to ward off the big killers like heart disease, diabetes, and cancer. It reverses the detrimental effects of stress and depression. The list goes on. So Yes, exercise really does matter! :smile:
  • DebraKing52
    Options
    Thanks, I know you're right. I've been trying to stay at about 1100 calories a day, but try to work off at least 300-400 calories a day with a stationary bike, walking, etc. I'm actually eating a lot of healthy food, but I probably should readjust my calorie intake and do some strength training as well as cardio. My end goal after all is to be healthy! Thanks, again!
  • raerae514
    Options
    You'll lose weight either way, but you'll *look* like you lost more if you get regular exercise.

Eating very little, and being fairly active but not really exercising, I was a size 8 the last time I was 130 pounds a few years ago.

This times around, I'm a size 2 or 4 at about 135 pounds, eating a good amount of food and getting regular exercise.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/494091-i-just-don-t-care-anymore

Impressive!! You look great btw!
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I find it also helps with emotional eating too. For me, I would always binge when I was anxious or upset, but exercise is such a great stress reliever, that I can exercise instead and feel good and not consume any empty calories. Also, after working out, I don't want to undo all of my hard work with something junky.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you want the end result to look like. Yes, you can lose by staying at a deficit and not exercising, but image in the mirror might not be what you would expect.
  • erickirb
    Options
    I try and not eat back exercise calories, but I'm only at 1400, so it's kind of hard at this point, just starting out, to not do that. Though some days I burn over 400 or 500 calories, and I don't eat that much back (except yesterday, I was a naughty girl). I also can't attest to weight loss either because I haven't lost anything yet. I stay under my calorie goal every day though. Anyway, personally I think that exercising is healthier than just staying under calories.

that is not naughty, you should be eating them back, it is how MFP is designed.