Joined Snap Fitness..How was your first gym experience?

Options
3ofmine
3ofmine Posts: 136 Member
When you first started going were you uncomfortable? Did it take awhile to adjust or did it not bother you? I'm really nervous about working out in front of other people. I have been walking/jogging(recently a little) since April. Along with my diet I have lost almost 30lbs with A LOT MORE to go still. I have never been a member at a gym so I don't know if I'm going to like it. The special they were running online so I sign up and get a 30-day membership for $8.95 and if I like it and want to sign up they wave the registration fee so bascially it's only the eight dollars the entire first month then $34 after that per month...I figure I'll know in the first week or so if it's going to be something I want to stick with and keep going. I am also hoping that by going it help affect my weight loss and kicks it up a notch.

Replies

• irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Good for you for joining! I know it can be a little intimidating at first, but hang in there, you'll get over it! I think I felt a little awkward probably for the first week or so, but after that, it was fine. Hopefully at your gym, the staff will familiarize you with all of the equipment, that makes things much easier. I love going now, and am usually at the gym 6 days a week. It makes my day when someone there hasn't seen me in a little and stops me to tell me that I'm looking great! You'll get that too! Go YOU!
  • anels449
    anels449 Posts: 3,187 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it hun! The fact that you're going and working out is fabulous, and the people there won't even be paying attention to you; most are in their own little bubbles haha!

When I first started to go to my gym, I think there was probably a little trepidation, but it came very natural after the second or third time. I'm giggling along just as everyone else is haha!

Go for it! It's a new adventure! :)
  • LucyFordxo
    LucyFordxo Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    WOW!! That's a really great promotion they're running.

My first experience at a gym was when I was 16, my Mother had a membership and I finally agreed to go with her. I only went on the treadmill and I was so scared, I felt naked and anxcious I almost burst out crying. But after that day I was hooked lol.

The amazing thing about a gym is that everybody is there with a common goal: themselves. I have seen all different shapes, sizes ,ages and levels of fitness from people at the gym. That is really empowering. I find a lot of people at the gym very helpful, the other day I was having an issue trying to figure out a machein and a gentlemen stopped his workout and came over to give me a hand. My Mother (who goes to a different gym now) has had similar experiences. It makes you feel very PROUD to be a "gym goer"

Apart from a few creepy old middle easten men :laugh: , I've NEVER felt "examined" at the gym. Everyone there is so focused on themselves, there's no attitude to judge the bodies of others.

Best of luck!!! Enjoy your 30 day trial and maybe you'll just get hooked!!!!!