Food addict- any suggestions?

Options
A couple weeks ago a MFP posted a link to an eating quiz. It helped you identify what type of eater you are.

It labeled me as:
Addict
People Pleaser (will eat something just because someone gave me something)
Emotional eater

I would say this is right on point however I don't know what to do about it.

Since taking the quiz I have really noticed that I do eat anything that someone offers- even after I tell them 'no thanks'. I have also noticed that I struggle to stay with appropriate portions when it comes to sweets. Yesterday I ate 10 pieces of fudge. (It was at work and I kept retuning to the bin every few minutes). Later that day (after I politely asked a co-worker not to buy me cookies), my co-worker bought cookies (300-calories/cookie). Instead of eating 1/2 or even 1 I ate 1 1/2 cookies - this is after all the fudge.

I constantly think of food (especially when I know it is within reach) and seem to almost panic inside when I think about not eating it.

Any tips/suggestions to help me battle these heath issues would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• goblynn
    goblynn Posts: 152
    Options
    bump
  • jennkess
    jennkess Posts: 86
    Options
    I am not sure if I have any helpful suggestions, however I totally understand where you are coming from. I think it comes down to a mental decision and self control. most of us have lost this in some way or another, thus the reason we are overweight and on this site looking for help.

it sounds like you may be addicted to sugar. perhaps if after you ate the one piece of fudge, you log it really look at the calories it added to your day and then calculate how much you will have to add to your exercise routine to off set that one piece. if when you go back for the 2nd piece you look at it not as a piece of fudge but -20 more minutes on the treadmill tonight- and make it a mental struggle within to put that piece of food in your mouth.

easier said than done, true. but it's a choice we have to make within ourselves, bad influences are all around us and always will be- if you can say no to a cigarette or drugs, view that plate of fudge the same way-- overeating is a drug, an addiction and something a lot of us will struggle with the rest of our life. I know I do. it is a weakness in me that I hate- but must make myself face every day.

keep going and remind yourself you must say no and mean it! your body will thank you
  • goblynn
    goblynn Posts: 152
    Options
    thank you. :)
  • mkstirp
    mkstirp Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you are going through. For me it's not sweets, it's high fat content food (like cheese or chips) The only thing that has ever worked for me is to go completely off whatever food I am addicted to for a week or more (sounds impossible, I know).

If you can completely cut out sweets (don't worry about the sugar in fruit or other natural foods) you will be amazed to find the power you will have over them. But it does take time and a lot of really hard work up front, but it's liberating in the end.

Don't give up, you can always start again tomorrow