Am I doing this all wrong?

Options

Replies

• Hksalex
    Hksalex Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    u know what i just realized i made a error in my first post. i meant to say i do HIIT training for 30mins and another 15-30min of weight training
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Please, be more ignorant. I'm here obviously for help, not to have someone try to put me down. I don't know what you think you're accomplishing but it isn't doing much for you other than making you look dumb. Who's to say other people aren't doing the same thing I am? Yes, I realize the caloric intake is small, but that's why I asked is to figure out if it was okay or not. Thanks to all of you that have helped though.

At a VERY rudimentary level, all you need to do is eat less food to lose weight. If you consuming X calories causes you to maintain your current weight, anything less than X will result in loss and anything greater than X will result in gain. This might not be instantaneous because your body has all sorts of complex stuff going on and things like water retention and what have you can fuzzy the results, but eventually that's really it.

Now, that being said, there's more to it than that.

A) Your body adapts. If you eat less (particularly in extreme cases where you eat a LOT less) than you should, your body will slow down some of its functions as a survival mechanism. It's not right away, but basically that's why starving people are lethargic, lose their hair, have weak nails, have digestion issues, etc etc etc.

B) You don't (or you shouldn't at least) want to just 'lose weight'. You want to lose fat. If all you did was eat less, a greater proportion of your weight loss will come from muscle mass. There's a reason two people of similar height, weight, and build can look vastly different and that's how much fat they have vs how much muscle. Eat enough food to fuel your body, take in a lot of protein, and have a smart resistance training program and you will minimize muscle loss.

C) Why would you want to make such an extreme cut? When you get to your goal what are you going to do? Look at wrestlers or mma guys. If you REALLY just want to cut do what they do and you could be down 20 lbs in a few days. The second you drink some water or eat some food though you'll be right back up there. The slower and more consistent plans tend to have more lasting results.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    yeah cause going as fast as possible is ALWAYS the answer! woohoo for doing it all wrong and not getting the results you want from the work and time you aint putting in!

high five!

be smarter.
    Sorry for being uneducated in this matter. I'm so happy that there are rude people like you to help me out. I'm not going fast because I knew that was the answer. Maybe that's why I asked if it was or not before doing something stupid. Be smarter.

You shouldn't apologize for being uneducated in something...you should educate yourself! MFP says eat 1500 calories a day and you choose to eat 700 and wonder if you're doing it wrong lol
    I'm doing all of this and taking in very little calories.

you wouldnt label it as very little unless you were aware that you cut what you are supposed to eat in half. You know its too little, thats why you called it 'little'.

Theres no big education you need here. It says on every food label that a normal day is based on 2000 calories. So you think to yourself, Im going to burn 400 calories a day and eat 700 calories a day - that my total is only 300 calories a day. And I havent even figured in what it takes to keep my body running basic life support.

2000 is normal.
    300 is me.
    Cool.
    Makes sense.
    Please, be more ignorant. I'm here obviously for help, not to have someone try to put me down. I don't know what you think you're accomplishing but it isn't doing much for you other than making you look dumb. Who's to say other people aren't doing the same thing I am? Yes, I realize the caloric intake is small, but that's why I asked is to figure out if it was okay or not. Thanks to all of you that have helped though.

Don't listen to the buttholes on here. You're not stupid that is why you asked for help. Help me help you. When MFP spit out the 1500 number what did you put in as your weight loss goal in pounds per week? What is your exercise routine like?
  • Mrsbrandnewmeslimandtrim
    Options
    :wink:
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Fine, I mistook the way you worded your original post - as it sounded as though you were being cocky with us on top of refusing to research for yourself, you just wanted a quick answer.

That may have been my bad.

However, It still seems as though, instead of making an effort to understand the basics before jumping in, you wanted someone else to hand you the answer After you'd already being doing things your way, full speed ahead, without the knowledge to back it up.

Can you understand how frustrating it is to come across hundreds of people every day who jump in without bothering to find out anything first? And how, by the time I got to yours, I wanted to throw my hands up in the air because one more person is saying I DO ALL THIS AND IT DOESNT WORK. Can you understand how frustrating it is to see someone starving themselves? When you know that they learned in school that you need 1200 to live?

I shut my pie hole and leave you alone but you should think about the people you are begging for answers and how often they have to put up with this as well.

We are people too, just like you, apparently.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    MFP says my calorie limit is only 1510. Should I stick to that?

You get to eat your excercise calories. 1510 would be your NET calories.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Fine, I mistook the way you worded your original post - as it sounded as though you were being cocky with us on top of refusing to research for yourself, you just wanted a quick answer.

However, It still seems as though, instead of making an effort to understand the basics before jumping in, you wanted someone else to hand you the answer After you'd already being doing things your way, full speed ahead, without the knowledge to back it up.

Can you understand how frustrating it is to come across hundreds of people every day who jump in without bothering to find out anything first? And how, by the time I got to yours, I wanted to throw my hands up in the air because one more person is saying I DO ALL THIS AND IT DOESNT WORK. Can you understand how frustrating it is to see someone starving themselves? When you know that they learned in school that you need 1200 to live?

I shut my pie hole and leave you alone but you should think about the people you are begging for answers and how often they have to put up with this as well.

He's an 18 year old kid for crying out loud cut him a break. At least he's serious enough to care about his fitness and reach out for help. No one taught me 1200 calories to live in school. If you're in too bad a mood to be civil then turn your computer off.
  • yoovie
    Options

He's an 18 year old kid for crying out loud cut him a break. At least he's serious enough to care about his fitness and reach out for help. No one taught me 1200 calories to live in school. If you're in too bad a mood to be civil then turn your computer off.

dude- I was apologising for my mistake.
  • yoovie
    Options
    im sorry times a million. i wont bug you anymore.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options

dude- I was apologising for my mistake.
    THAT was an apology??!!!?? :noway:
  • yoovie
    Options
    How should I apologize.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    How should I apologize.

there's probably an appropriate hallmark card.
  • yoovie
    Options
    Im very sorry that I thought you knew the daily amount of calories needed for survival. I kind of expect people to research a little bit, or retain basic health information from high school. Maybe that is a bit too much for me to expect. Im sorry if I hurt your feelings or if I treated you like an idiot. Im sorry that this can be so frustrating to figure out on your own without people helping you. Im sorry that sometimes you just wanna throw your hands in the air.

I feel the same way too.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    Options
    How should I apologize.
    Typically an apology includes the words "I'm sorry". A good apology stops before you re-offend by saying it was all his fault you went off on him.
  • foodlover2
    foodlover2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Eating less than 800 to 1000 calories per day puts your body into starvation mode. You need to eat 3 small meals a day and 2 snacks (a piece of fruit or some raw veggies) and drink LOTS of water. If you are 195 pounds, you need to drink half your weight (97) minus 10 + 87 ounces of water per day MINIMUM. This helps flush all the toxins out of your system. Stay away from all white food, including potatos, rice, sugar, bread, etc. and keep up the exercise. A good goal is 2-3 pounds per week. Don't be in a hurry to get it off, it didn't come on over night. Good luck!
    I am an 18 year old male and trying to go from 195lbs to about 170lbs. I have always been very impatient so I'm trying to get to my goal as fast as possible. The thing about this is I may be doing it wrong. I get some sort of exercise every day whether it be basketball, riding my bike, running, and a lot of others. I'm doing all of this and taking in very little calories. Maybe 650-700 a day. I am eating 3 times a day, just not food with a lot of calories. Is the a recipe for disaster and for me to just gain it all back in the end, or is this an okay way to do things. I have lost 3lbs in about 3 days.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    Is there a thread on how to not be over sensitive? Anywhere...? Anyone...?
  • yoovie
    Options
    How should I apologize.
    Typically an apology includes the words "I'm sorry". A good apology stops before you re-offend by saying it was all his fault you went off on him.

I apologized a third time. Should I go again now? How about two more times for good measure?

Dear OP, Im very very sorry I was a smartass. No more sorry than that- because my first day here, there were people on this website who tore me to little pieces because I didnt know what TDEE means. and You know what? I still dont know, cause it hurt so bad I never wanted to find out and figured i could still do all this without that little bit of info.

im sorry again and I hope you learn enough to be able to do this and succeed beyond what you thougth you could do.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    Options
    It's right next to the one about how not to be an *kitten*.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    It's right next to the one about how not to be an *kitten*.

*eyeroll*

Ohhh...I see what you did there...
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    Hey we have all (I am sure) typed something that we wish we could untype, if that is a word?

Hopefully the OP can take some advice away from the answers to his original post?