Upgrading HRM

Options
Hi,

I have a POLAR FT4.

I've been reading up on VO2 max and wondering if its time to upgrade HRM so that I have one that takes this into account.

I am looking at the POLAR FT40.

Do you think its worth it? The upgrade for this feature I mean.

I don't really understand it fully, but it appears it gives a more accurate reading?

Do you still have to deduct your 'resting' calorie burn from the overall figure, so if I burned 600 in an hour but would burn 100 sitting on my butt for an hour, I'd normally count that as 500 burned, does the FT40 do this automatically does anyone know?

Many Thanks

Replies

• Thankilates
    Thankilates Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Just quickly, I don't thnk it's worth it to get teh ft40. When I purchased mine I looked at multiple reviews and they all said that the ft7 was probably a better deal than the 40. But since you have the 4, I'd upgrade to the ft60! :D Just my two cents! :)
  • peppapig24_
    Options
    Thanks :) Can I ask why you suggest the FT60? Still trying to get my head around everything but the basic calorie burn and heart rate readings to be honest! Fascinated by VO2 max reading, love how you can see if your fitness is improving each month. Is it sad to be excited about a new gadget?! :)
  • Thankilates
    Options
    It allows you to store many more workouts (which I don't really care about), but the realy cool thing is that the ft60 has that Star Training program!
    My MFP friend loves it and it tells him EXACTLY how to do things, when to change thigns up and I think syncs to other machines? I am not sure, but if you are looking to stay within the polar family, than that is the top of the line. I think they just came out with the ft80, but that just means it's a newer model! :D

The ft7 stores 100
    the ft4 stores 10
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    If you're just interested in Calories burned, then look at the Bodymedia or BodyBug arm band devices. They're supposed to be very accurate. Plus they track your calories all day, not just when you work out.

For me, I have a FT7, it's accurate enough. I'm more interested (Now) about how my heart is doing during a workout. So for me the arm band solution is no good since they don't do HR, just activity and calories.

But does it really matter if your off by 10-50 calories? or even 100 calories. If you're working out smart, getting into the orange zone when training, and staying active, it won't make a difference. I say, save your money!
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    I would have bought the FT60 if my husband would have let me. It has strength/STAR training and you can purchase a GPS option for it (I'm a runner - I love saying that lol).

But, since he didn't want me to spend that much, I "settled" for the FT7...which is still a great little HRM watch that I plan to use in the water when I swim....and it still allows me to upload my data through the flowlink hardware so that I can keep track of my workouts (I'm kind of a geeky numbers person lol).

Still, overall, Im happy with my purchase.
  • Thankilates
    Options
    If you're just interested in Calories burned, then look at the Bodymedia or BodyBug arm band devices. They're supposed to be very accurate. Plus they track your calories all day, not just when you work out.

For me, I have a FT7, it's accurate enough. I'm more interested (Now) about how my heart is doing during a workout. So for me the arm band solution is no good since they don't do HR, just activity and calories.

But does it really matter if your off by 10-50 calories? or even 100 calories. If you're working out smart, getting into the orange zone when training, and staying active, it won't make a difference. I say, save your money!

I totally agree with Mike! I mean, they're all estimates. I LOVE MY POLAR though! :D

Also agree with Mtnkat! I am a big numbers person (did research analysis for the State) and well, while I wanted the ft60 I wouldn't pay for the flowlink. soooooo ft7 is good enough for me!

HOpe you get what you want! :D
  • GrammaBonnie
    GrammaBonnie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I JUST wrote a comment on the FT 40/60/80. You can see it here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/673342-any-polar-ft60-users-out-there

I had the FT40, and ended up upgrading to the FT80. My husband and I both have one, and we love it.

I love the Star system, and letting my body tell the machine how fit I am, so it can keep me working at peak efficiency for my age/gender/physical condition. (VO2 Max - Maximum volume of oxygen.)

If you are in New England, check out The Polar Guy. I bought ours from him. He is incredible! He got us up and running, and kept in touch for several weeks to make sure everything was working out well for us. http://www.netway.com/~rlm/

Good luck!